Carpenters Quadraphonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I got a hold of 3 of the Carpenters Quad albums "Now & Then", "The Singles 1969-1973", and "Horizon" and am amazed by them! (I can't believe Richard hates them!)

Does anyone know much about the differences. I have the HORIZION and NOW & THEN where the tracks are in channels 1/2 and 3/4 (2 tracks for each song).

I am looking for them all on ONE TRACK.

Also I know a A SONG FOR YOU Quad 8-track exists, are these versions any different?

I am doing a write-up on my site, and would appreciate any help! There's some insentives too!

Thanks!

Recently I got a hold of 3 of the Carpenters Quad albums "Now & Then", "The Singles 1969-1973", and "Horizon" and am amazed by them! (I can't believe Richard hates them!)

Does anyone know much about the differences. I have the HORIZION and NOW & THEN where the tracks are in channels 1/2 and 3/4 (2 tracks for each song).

I am looking for them all on ONE TRACK.

Also I know a A SONG FOR YOU Quad 8-track exists, are these versions any different?

I am doing a write-up on my site, and would appreciate any help! There's some insentives too!

Thanks!
Can someone post quad version of heather from now and then

I am very sad to see that Motownboy's youtube channel has been terminated. His was one of my favorites. I checked in regularly.

I've had a copy of SINGLES 1969-1973 on Quad for ages. Bought it sometime back in the '70s when the quad fad was disappearing. I thought it would be a curiosity - and it is!

Harry

I've had a copy of SINGLES 1969-1973 on Quad for ages. Bought it sometime back in the '70s when the quad fad was disappearing. I thought it would be a curiosity - and it is! Harry

I have the Quad Singles 69-73 LP as well, although I don't have the correct equipment to hear all the details, I still wanted it. I also have the Audiophile Singles 69-73 LP which I feel is probably the best sounding format I own for this album. The clarity and crispness of the album and all the instrumentations just pop and appear so lively along with the warmth just makes for an incredible listening experience...outshines the normal LP. We know how Richard feels about the Quad Lp's but I wonder how he feels about the Audiophile LP?

If you haven't heard quad in its proper settings, you don't know what you're missing. 'Now and Then' is the best sounding Carpenters quad release, followed by 'Singles' and 'Horizon'. Those three titles were mixed properly for quad (despite what Richard says), which means the separation is in four true channels. Some of the earlier releases ('Close to You', 'Carpenters', 'A Song For You') are much less discreet, and don't pop out at you like "Now and Then" and "The Singles" albums do.

I'm lucky to have a full quad set-up with reel to reel deck, 8-track deck and turntable. Took me a long time to pull everything together, but I was finally able to play quads beginning in 2001. They're very different from Richard's SACD set, which is similar (and better overall sound quality, of course), but the original quads are still really cool.

The oldies medley will blow you away. Karen's background vocals are all over the room. The best part is you can isolate the channels, and just listen to one at a time. You can hear things you didn't even know existed.

There are many quad experts out there, and "Now and Then" gets high ratings for its separation and overall mix even by non-Carpenters fans who wouldn't ordinarily listen to Carpenters music. The Japanese quad reel of "Now and Then" that you could buy in stores at one time has the best overall quality. It's stunning.

If you're ever in Chicago, I'd be happy to play some quads for A&M Corner folks! 'Burt Bacharach's Greatest Hits' is amazing in quad, as are the early Chicago albums. Columbia really knew how to take advantage of all four channels.

LOL>> I've hosted many quad parties! My friends who love it (and those who don't) are usually subjected to at least an hour's worth of good quad/surround stuff.

I noticed in the video for 'Close to You' above that MotownBoy removed the saliva sound from Karen's vocals in the first verse. Very nice.

Yes there are still some videos on youtube but they are not from Motownboy's channel and Motownboy is the one who put together those fantastic videos.

LOL>> I've hosted many quad parties! My friends who love it (and those who don't) are usually subjected to at least an hour's worth of good quad/surround stuff.

Well if I was in your area I'd take you up on that offer and I bet after listening for that hour...I'd be paying YOU!!
Sounds like an experience for sure. I guess it would give the listener a whole new feel on the oldies medley. So Horizon quad does not jump out at you like the other 2 albums, shame cause that would intensify the feelings I already have toward Karen's incredible vocals.

Actually, Chris, 'Horizon' does indeed sound great! Not quite as discrete as "Now and Then" or "Singles", but its much better than "Close to You", "Carpenters" and "A Song For You". Karen's vocals on "Horizon" sound ethereal.

Why the hell did his account get terminated?!

RainyDays & Everyone,

My Youtube account was terminated... It is a risk you run when posting music vidoes... I had complaints (supposedly) from Connie Francis over two obscure songs of hers and one from a video company called "Reelin' In the Years" that claimed to have rights to a Chaka Khan/Rufus video used for the quad mix of "Once You Get Started." HOWEVER, I am BACK on Youtube as "themotownboy1." I am in the process of re-posting videos. I am also doing some tweaking and re-working to many of them before re-upload. I have re-uploaded the quad mix of "Superstar" (see below) . I have also put the link below to my true stereo mix of the Beach Boys' "Good Vibrations" with a new video footage (the old one was my most watched video on the old page). I will be re-posting all the Carpenters videos I have and some new ones as I can.

David

Thanks A&M Retro...:)

Though this is not a quadraphonic mix, I wanted to make sure to repost the five-song "Music, Music, Music" medley from the 1980 TV special with remastered sound... This is for me, the Carpenters at their very best! The other quadraphonic mixes will be following soon...

Karen and Richard had refined this seamless, timeless medley into perfection and brilliance! No where else do I find their collective skills merging into sheer magnificence than I do here. Karen's vocals are impeccable. The production unsurpassed. The orchestration like no piece before it. I can even well excuse the O.K. Chorale or whoever was used for the back-ups that segue Someday to We've Only Just Begun. That is saying a mouthful for me as I've never minced words over my disdain for their previous inclusions. This effort is the quintessential pinnacle of a relatively short yet astounding career. Music, Music, Music depicts a class act with unlimited potential. Taped in the spring of 1980, the duo's trademark vocals well intact leads me to reconsider saddening and harsh criticisms regarding the recordings of '82's Now and You're Enough. Often implied, Karen's takes on these tunes are weak and strained under the vestiges of illness. Now I wonder if in fact 2 years could deliver this perception or if in fact we are listening to work leads being performed never meant for our consumption? This thought just occurred to me and actually brings some comfort. I too have reported hearing '82's sessions as somehow off. First spin of Voice of the Heart left me in despair as my ear was detecting this so-called strain. Here, I'm now choosing to believe in the work lead idea. I know some of us adore Now. I hear an off day in the studio something my ooooh's, aaaah's and baby babies are often subject to while driving. The medley presented in MMM should be logged into the annals of music preservation. A study in craft, God given talents, and a testament to the art of conjuring the very best pop music will ever offer. Re-listening to the above clip left me with near debilitating chills and euphoria once again. This display is where I return for solace, grace and peace. I'm grateful to this recording.

Thanks A&M Retro...:)

Though this is not a quadraphonic mix, I wanted to make sure to repost the five-song "Music, Music, Music" medley from the 1980 TV special with remastered sound... This is for me, the Carpenters at their very best! The other quadraphonic mixes will be following soon...

Thank you for posting this!! I have always loved this medley. I agree with Jeff also when he said: Karen and Richard had refined this seamless, timeless medley into perfection and brilliance!

Some would say that later recordings Karen made were sub-par because of her unhappy marriage to Mr. Wrong on top of her already existing family issues. So very sad.

Pure perfection! I had taped Music Music Music with an old cassette tape recorder with the mic against the tv speaker back in 1980 which caught all the other sounds in the living room as well! I played this Medley for years until we finally had it on CD without my Mom's coughing and other odd noises!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom