Nonexistent Carpenters songs that you can just hear

I want to add to this list "Our Love is Here to Stay" by Nat King Cole, etc and "The Woman in Me" by Heart, Donna Summer.

This one's for you (barry manilow). and i dont have to imagine it. kc in an interview (which for the life of me i cannot remember was)

kc sings a line and DAMN was it good and sexy. yes kc had a sexy voice.....
That was from the Ray Moore BBC interview, which took place in the fall of 1981.

Instead of songs I can hear the Carpenters doing, I had an idea for an instrumental cover of Someday. The song has such a beautiful melody I really feel it would carry over well to just instruments. I'm really hearing an upright bass taking the brunt of the melody, but with an antiphonal tradeoff between sections/instruments. I think it could be very powerful.

It is... as Richard did it in his Pianist... album...

It is... as Richard did it in his Pianist... album...

...and it's a gorgeous 3-minute conclusion to the medley in which it's included. I was always a bit disappointed that "Someday" wasn't included in CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER.

Harry

Reactions: BGW
I wanted to drag this thread up to add the song "Misty". My favorite take is Ella Fitzgerald's. The song is perfect for Karen, it's beautiful and it lingers in the richest area of Karen's voice. I have no trouble at all hearing her singing it.

Just imagining Karen performing the above- mentioned Misty by Ella, that would have been priceless.
A superb recommendation !

Can you hear Karen singing this one? Mentioned in these liner notes.

Attachments

• Scan0073.jpg
    Scan0073.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 13
"Bang, Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)".

You can just hear Karen sing it like poetry - much like Nancy Sinatra did.

I ran across this song the other day on the tube and it reminded me....if the Carpenters had changed course and put out a jazz album...I could really hear Karen singing this song in her lower vocals. I could hear Tony on guitar, Richard on piano and Karen on vocals and drums, maybe even re-team with Joe Osborne. The arrangement of this song sounds a lot to me like something Richard would have done. I could also hear Karen doing those ahh, ahh breaks in the track at 1:03.

Just heard Cher singing The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore off her It's a Man's World cd. The song has Karen and hit written all over it. I don't think the world wearied of Karen's broken hearted love songs.

Another, much earlier, Cher track with (to me anyway) a very Carpenteresque feel to it is "Love Enough," off her 1975 LP "Stars." The song, written by Tim Moore, is terrific; and the arrangement by Jimmy Webb is gorgeous. Though they obviously sounded very different, both Karen and Cher were/are way on the deep end of the alto range, and knew how to use that to great effect. Here's the song; the exotic album cover headshot is just "icing on the cake"...

Isn't it time that there was another version of "To Wait For Love" on A&M beside Herb's (as great as his version is!)????

By Karen? I thought so...!

-- Dave

I've always thought Karen would sing 'The Very Thought Of You' beautifully. I know it's been performed by Sarah Vaughan and Ella Fitzgerald, but there's something about the version that was featured in the movie 'Bicentennial Man' that always makes me think of Karen. Had they performed it, I think they would have gone for an arrangement like this and used the Nelson Riddle Orchestra. It reminds me of the Karen/Ella medley and would have been a great choice to include in that.

Back
Top Bottom