Meditation (Meditação): What Definitive Versions are on A&M?

Dave

Here's my latest Pat Boone find, not just Online, but actually bought:

I have the US version of this on Dot (actually a Canadian copy on 'Quality Records'); the Non-LP B-Side to "The Days Of Wine And Roses"...!

So, other than Claudine Longet on her debut A&M LP, Claudine (A&M SP 4121), who else recorded it?

OK, now for that all-too familiar refrain: "...Meditating how sweet life will be, when you come back to me..."--Let's all sing along!!!! :laugh:

-- Dave

Not A&M, but Sinatra/Jobim recorded it.

Harry

The one and only time I saw Sinatra live was in Vegas with Brasil '77. They opened for him. Sergio and the girls came back out during Sinatra's segment to do a medley of Brazilian songs, one if them I believe being Meditation, which he sung in English*

This was the dinner show that people under 21 years of age could attend. Mom and Dad went back the next evening to see the later show, which they said was even better than the dinner show.

*Sinatra sung everything in English

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Well, Sergio Mendes did it on his QUIET NIGHTS album, but that wasn't A&M either.

Harry

Well, Sergio Mendes did it on his QUIET NIGHTS album, but that wasn't A&M either.

Harry

I have had versions of "Meditation (Meditação)" by drummer Grady Tate (on one of his vocal albums, Feeling Life) and an instrumental by guitarist Donald Byrd on a '45', b/w "Little Boat (O Barquinho)", and I would like to someday explore the rest of Byrd's catalog...

I never did explore Sergio's catalog before his Great-Arrival on A&M...! Mendes recorded for Atlantic, right? How many records did he make? (I'm assuming ALBUMS,too...!)

It would be nice to see a discography on that material, which I would have had figured had to have gotten reissued on CD, if his A&M stuff, did, by now...!

And, yeh, what about 'trademark' Brasilian stuff like "Quiet Nights of Quiet Stars (Corcovado)", (Covered by Chris Montez) "Morning of Carnival (Manhã de Carnaval)", and "How Insensitive (Insensatez)" (both remade by Claudine Longet)...?

-- Dave

Sergio's Pre-A&M recordings. The first two are on Philips, and I believe the balance were for Atlantic

DANCE MODERNO
QUIET NIGHTS
THE GREAT ARRIVAL
THE SWINGER FROM RIO
THE BEAT OF BRAZIL
BRASIL '65
IN PERSON AT EL MATADOR
and a Brasil '65 leftover single, "All My Loving"/"Telephone Song"

and a leftover Atlantic album released during his A&M period and featuring John Pisano on guitar:
MY FAVORITE THINGS

Harry

Remember, though, that Swinger and Beat are actually reissues of Sergio's Brasilian sides for other labels. Brasil '65 (black cover with Wanda) is on Capitol. (Wanda also released a solo album on Capitol that isn't bad.)

There's also the 45 on Atlantic of All My Loving, probably the last side he recorded for that label and one that sounds a *lot* like Brasil '66.

Hey, thanks, Harry!!!! That's GREAT!!!!

Now how does "Telephone Song" go?

-- Dave

When I was first getting into Sergio in the early '70s I remember being bitterly disappointed that "Sergio Mendes Favorite Things" had no vocals - I thought the two women on the cover photo were Karen & Lani.

When I was first getting into Sergio in the early '70s I remember being bitterly disappointed that "Sergio Mendes Favorite Things" had no vocals - I thought the two women on the cover photo were Karen & Lani.

How funny is that? I thought the same thing! Would have been interesting had he brought them over to record on Favorite Things, but alas they were signed to A&M.

There's always the one vocal (and one word) on The Great Arrival: "Bonita..." LOL!!

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

"Buzz, buzz..." :)

Well, here's one, although I think it would be too STAGEY for any kind of Sergio Mendes-led group to do:

Otherwise, these days when I think of "Telephone Song", I guess, with the late-Stevie Ray Vaughn's own arrival, and even-quicker passing, I think of this one:

-- Dave

Well...I'll take Stevie over that drivel with Ann Margaret! As Dr. Smith (of Lost In Space) would have said, "Indeed!" LOL!!

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Here's the *right* one, done by its co-composer Roberto Menescal:

Not sure if Harry was only joking, but the English lyric by Norman Gimbel does indeed start with "Buzz, buzz".

And Jon, heaven forfend you call "The Telephone Song" from Bye, Bye Birdie drivel. :) Adams and Strouse were the first Broadway composers to really start to inject some (admittedly pretty tame) rock 'n' roll into their scores.

Not sure if Harry was only joking, but the English lyric by Norman Gimbel does indeed start with "Buzz, buzz".

Couldn't resist that. When he asked how does "The Telephone Song" go - well, it goes "Buzz, Buzz"!

:)

Harry

LOL! Great movie I haven't seen in years. Most musicals were amazing. I only saw a bit of the clip. Maybe I need run it again for old time sake!!

Jon...the "Brasil Nut"

Here's my latest Pat Boone find, not just Online, but actually bought:

I have the US version of this on Dot (actually a Canadian copy on 'Quality Records'); the Non-LP B-Side to "The Days Of Wine And Roses"...!

So, other than Claudine Longet on her debut A&M LP, Claudine (A&M SP 4121), who else recorded it?

OK, now for that all-too familiar refrain: "...Meditating how sweet life will be, when you come back to me..."--Let's all sing along!!!! :laugh:

-- Dave

A number of years ago, a friend of mine said she had heard Sergio Mendes and Brasil'66 with this song, sung by Lani Hall.
I told her that I had never heard it and later on figured she might have heard Claudine Longet but she and Lani Hall do not sound anything alike to me. If it was recorded by Sergio, it has long disappeared.

Back
Top Bottom