Harriet - (Singer with echoes of Karen Carpenter)*

I noticed she has quite a few tracks on her you tube channel that are not on the 2 EP's to download such as, First and Last, I'm Not In Love, Home, Can I Keep You.

I noticed that too Chris, she seems to have released songs sporadically and not as part of a complete album. I hope there is one in the works. She's mentioned on her facebook page that there is some exciting new work in the pipeline and I told her I think she should record 'A Song For You' :)

I haven't warmed this fast to an artist since...Olivia, Karen, Abba, Jann and the likes.

Me neither! Transfixed from first listen and that hasn't happened to me since I heard Karen sing for the first time in 1990!

Wow, I just listened to "Afterglow" for the first time, man she really goes down into her lower register, I swear this is the sweet spot that Karen would go into from the early days with Carpenters. This song has Karen written all over it, in the delivery, the words, the lyric change, tempo and pitch. I hope we hear more from her, she needs to team up with a producer that can really show her vocals off like these tracks. I wonder if this was the person that Richard was to work with as Song4u mentioned above.

I'd give anything to hear what Richard's reaction was/is the first time he heard her :b-drums:

I've just listened to several of Harriet's tracks on Soundcloud, and I must say that was an eerie experience. It's almost as if Karen was reincarnated... and as a very attractive blonde no less. I think I'm in love! :love:

It says on her Soundcloud page, that she's currently recording with producer Steve Anderson. He's done a lot of work with Kylie (who I'm a huge fan of), so I really hope we'll get to hear the results of their collaboration at some point.

I'm not sure Richard would necessarily want to work with a Karen soundalike, although it'd really be something else.

I feel her talent reflects influences of many female artists from the 70's and 80's; as all who sing until they come into their own. At times, she could sound like Karen Carpenter, Amy Grant, Enya, Olivia, etc, depending on the vowel used in its interval leap, as well as, the range required by the song. I actually enjoy the one What's Mine Is Yours best, for it also includes more of her own style and the styles of her influences are more mellowed, but still clear. She definitely has a beautiful tone to her voice as well as the ability to characterize to a degree, some better than most, those we love. Since her talent is stronger than most, her responsibility to what it can create is greater and her choices are even more numerous. I can't wait until her own style takes hold and the product that will follow.

I like her voice a lot. How can you not? But as with anyone who can sound like Karen- although there was no one like her vocally- it only points out the brilliance of Richard's part in creating wonderful music.

Here is her official website:
http://www.harrietsmusic.com/

Her Facebook page is here:
https://www.facebook.com/Harrietsmusic
Here is her youtube page
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzyRgi4QVN5tPAzcSTP3ytA/videos

She does a nice remake of the song, "I'm Not In Love"
I noticed too she has got several comments on you tube that she sounds like Karen.

There's also a Twitter page: https://twitter.com/harrietsmusic

At the moment there are just over 400 followers, which gives the impression that this is all pretty new.

I have to say that I feel really fortunate and blessed that Harriet is British as it could well mean that if she tours......I may get to see her :)

I sent her a message on her facebook site and she replied to me, telling me she's aware of this forum and thanked everyone for the kind words and compliments :)

That was good of her and nice to know that she knows we're here and that we support her!

Judging by the amount of views on her youtube channel, which are still quite low, it seems to me that this project is still in its infancy, so it's great to be in on it from the start :D

I've also posted the link to 'Maybe This Christmas' on leadsister.com, but their forum seems rather quiet at the moment, and karencarpenter.com seems to have bitten the dust :sad:

Judging by the amount of views on her youtube channel, which are still quite low, it seems to me that this project is still in its infancy, so it's great to be in on it from the start :D

Totally agree, it's really exciting, I'm watching very closely to see what happens next for her.

I've also posted the link to 'Maybe This Christmas' on leadsister.com, but their forum seems rather quiet at the moment, and karencarpenter.com seems to have bitten the dust :sad:

This is where it's all happening :D. I honestly haven't seen this forum this busy in years. It's a delight to check in every day and see over a dozen threads with new comments posted. Carpenters may be no more but their fan base is alive and kicking!

Stephen, very cool that she responded to your post. I almost feel like registering into Facebook just to post my support, hopefully she will see it here.

On my way to and from work today, I had the chance to listen to all the tracks I purchased from her 2 EP's on iTunes. I can't tell you how refreshing her voice was to hear in my car, to hear her vocals coming through my speakers it was a surreal experience. I know we shouldn't keep saying it (because she is her own signer) but I swear today it reminded me again what is so special about her voice....I get the same warm feeling listening to her as I do listening to Karen, there is a correlation I can't quite put into words. In the past I have said that Karen's vocals are like a security blanket, creating a warmth and inviting place to shut out the world and just listen to the voice and song, like an old familiar friend. I am getting this same feeling with Harriet's vocals and all the songs I've heard so far are ones that I identify with as a listener. There are certain reflections in various songs that on my way home tonight I said to myself, if Karen Carpenter had a sister who sang, Harriet is her twin. We know that no singer can ever fill Karen's void but I tell you what I've heard so far....Harriet's voice has my full listening attention. It's so exciting to have a singer come along that pulls you into their music, instantly on first listen.

I can't get enough of "Maybe This Christmas", "Afterglow", "What's Mine Is Yours" The last being my ultimate favorite.
I really wish that she offered the other 4 tracks on her you tube channel for purchase because I would pay for them if available (why can't we buy them?)
First and Last
I'm Not In Love
Home
Can I Keep You.

For now I got low quality versions because I just had to hear them in my car, I absolutely love the songs First and Last, Can I Keep You and I'm Not In Love. What is neat is that with the 2 EP's and the other tracks not available to purchase, it's almost like having a full album.

I hope we can use this thread for any updates from Harriet as I'm not on Facebook and I'd hate to miss something new that she releases. Looking forward to hearing more music from Harriet.

Either she wrote "What's Mine is Yours" about her vocal gift, or it's a great double entendre. Her voice takes me back to a simpler time, waiting for the next record to come out. Looking forward to her forthcoming album! Will surely follow her.

Has anyone noticed on the song, "Afterglow" the arrangement sounds so similar to what Richard Carpenter would have produced. In fact, near the end of the song starting at 2:30 when she sings "I didn't ask that you'd be mine, it just happened at the time, well learn to see it through"....then some backing vocals come in with oohh and ahhh (I swear that sounds like something Richard would create with backing vocals) I'd love to hear her being doubled in her own vocals like Richard did with Karen, she sure has the vocals for it.

This song is primarily vocals and piano and drums and it sounds so much like something Richard and Karen would have created. There are verses that she goes down in her lower register on the last word, very similar to how Karen would sing, example, at the start of the song, she sings, "The first goodnight how you held me tight...when dreams were all we had to keep us warm (drops octave)....I never thought that we'd get caught up in a storm....and now it feels that you don't need to love me anymore (drops octave), I swear that reminds me so much of Karen when she dropped an octave. I love the lyrics to this song.

Last edited:
That link took me to a sorry page not found but I found it here:

https://soundcloud.com/harrietsmusic

scroll down...listening now, thanks...Oh my hearing her speaking voice for the first time, she has an accent, yes London. She talks about Karen Carpenter.

WOW this is a fabulous interview and addresses the track, "What's Mine Is Yours" link to Karen. I love her explanation to why she is compared to Karen.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link above.
I am rarely impressed by female vocalists, especially if/when comparisons are made to Karen Carpenter.
However, I am quite impressed by Harriet, and wish her all the success which her talent deserves.
I have been spreading the word to friends and family to give this vocalist a listen.
She is superb, and thanks for bringing her to my attention.

Check this out for those of you not on facebook...Harriet was speaking with Larry Flick on his show yesterday on Sirius XM in New York. Great to see this guy is behind her as well, sounds like he's playing her music like mad. This is the first time I've heard her speak and I'm always amazed by singers whose speaking voice sounds nothing like the noise that comes out when they sing. Dare I say it, but yet another thing she has in common with Karen :)

https://soundcloud.com/harrietsmusi...iriusxm-outq-10122014-maybe-this-christmas-ep

It's so great the coverage she is getting, isn't it. Anyone know if she's getting airplay on AM/FM adult contemporary radio? I wonder how difficult it is for a U.K. artist of her style to break in America? Sharon Corr has the former Corrs audience attending her shows, but Harriet is brand new.

Personally I don't listen to Christmas music, so I'm looking forward to her non-holiday album and then hopefully her touring the U.S. to promote it. She's a wonderful talent. She has a beautiful smile too. (She's got to be on the Carpenter family tree somewhere don't you think?) Maybe we should start a Harriet forum. :wink:

I wonder how difficult it is for a U.K. artist of her style to break in America? Sharon Corr has the former Corrs audience attending her shows, but Harriet is brand new.

I love the fact that Larry described her as 'nobody's puppet' and that he was humbled she'd let him in on her story and her own personal brand so early on in her career. She's breaking new ground all by herself. Way to go! I'm keeping everything crossed that it takes off for her.

Personally I don't listen to Christmas music, so I'm looking forward to her non-holiday album and then hopefully her touring the U.S. to promote it.

She did say in the interview that she's got more material planned for the New Year, so it sounds like she's on a roll.

Maybe we should start a Harriet forum.

I don't think we need that just yet, but I do plan to move this thread to the Small Circle Of Friends Forum, since it really doesn't deal with Carpenters per se. So just as we maintain our Rumer and Corrs threads over there, so shall we with this artist.

Harry

Check this out for those of you not on facebook...Harriet was speaking with Larry Flick on his show yesterday on Sirius XM in New York. Great to see this guy is behind her as well, sounds like he's playing her music like mad. This is the first time I've heard her speak and I'm always amazed by singers whose speaking voice sounds nothing like the noise that comes out when they sing. Dare I say it, but yet another thing she has in common with Karen :)

https://soundcloud.com/harrietsmusi...iriusxm-outq-10122014-maybe-this-christmas-ep

I just listened, didn't know she returned back to Larry's program. I'm not a Sirius subscriber so I'd never heard of Larry Flick but he does seem to be as touched with her music as I have become. Listening to this program, it reminded me what I love about this song, "Maybe This Christmas" what touches me about the chorus is the very end when she says "I'll be alright" that line is so soothing to me, again another inflection of how Karen soothes me in her words (ex Look To Your Dreams) I'm getting this same feeling from Harriet in so many of her songs so far, little inflections that my ears are picking up on and I'm really liking her vocals.

To hear her talk about Christmas, I can't help but remember how much Christmas meant to Karen as well yet another pull in for me. It sounds like Steve Anderson really know how to bring out the best in her vocals so it's exciting to see what is still to come with new material. It's pretty cool to get this close to an artist so early on...

I'm having mixed feelings about Harriet. When this all started up early in the week, I was a bit busy and only had a chance to click on a few of the YouTube links and became dazzled with Harriet's voice and "presence". Yesterday, I finally managed to take some time, gather the known songs by buying the two EPs and adding in the YouTube stuff to assemble an album of sorts.

Now that I've done that and had a chance to listen in more of an album setting, I'm a little less enthusiastic. I like a couple of the songs like "What's Mine Is Yours". That one's got a little life to it. A number of the other tunes are nice ballads, but don't excite me. I sort-of get the same feeling when I listen to a latter-day Carpenters album like MADE IN AMERICA or VOICE OF THE HEART - too many ballads, not enough "fun" stuff.

Early Carpenters albums grabbed me with their "fun" parts, the "Mr. Guder's", the fast-paced Bacharach medley, the "Love Is Surrender's", etc. As a younger person, I always gravitated to the happier sounds that were balanced out by the more melancholy ballads. One of the things that's kept Rumer from being a listen-often artist is her mostly ballad approach in her albums. On Corrs albums, I was immediately grabbed by songs like "Forgiven, Not Forgotten" and "What Can I Do" and later "Breathless", all fun, uptempo tunes.

Now, I know that Harriet has not released an album proper, so it's really not fair to judge her material choices on some individual tracks and EPs, so I'm reserving judgment until such time as a real album surfaces. There's no denying that her voice is very appealing, and I'm grateful for a few of these tracks. "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart" makes is a song drenched in "Disney" as it's from CINDERELLA. We all know how much Karen loved Disney stuff and never got to record any of it's great music.

Another is "Grown-Up Christmas List". Search these pages for my initial reactions to HOME FOR CHRISTMAS by Amy Grant when I finally got around to discovering that album. I loved - and still do - the "Grown-Up Christmas List" song and lamented that we never got to hear Karen attempt the song. This may be as close as we come to that occurrence, and it's really good. That leads me to thoughts of how neat it would be to have Harriet tackle some of the Richard Carpenter TIME songs that we all think Karen would have knocked out of the park.

I've always liked the song "I'm Not In Love" by 10cc. I still remember awakening one morning in my parent's home and hearing the song as I was coming to consciousness and being startled by the female voice off to one side saying "Big boys don't cry...big boys don't cry...". Harriett's version gives us a chance to hear her tackle some overdubbed harmonies, and they're really nice.

So, I'm at least taking a wait-and-see attitude and watching all of this play out and wondering where it will all lead. Does she record stuff that Karen did or Richard wrote as a comparison, or does she seek out new material and avoid those comparisons. It's interesting, to be sure.

Harry

Thought provoking post, Harry. I too am hoping there will be some upbeat tunes on her upcoming album. Her "hook" is obviously that lower register and Karen-like reading of ballads. But I think she will do well developing her own style in the future and I look forward to hearing more from her.

By the way, I never thought of Forgiven not Forgotten as fun and up tempo. (A bleeding heart torn apart and left on an icy grave) But to each their own. :whistle:

I just listened, didn't know she returned back to Larry's program. I'm not a Sirius subscriber so I'd never heard of Larry Flick but he does seem to be as touched with her music as I have become. Listening to this program, it reminded me what I love about this song, "Maybe This Christmas" what touches me about the chorus is the very end when she says "I'll be alright" that line is so soothing to me, again another inflection of how Karen soothes me in her words (ex Look To Your Dreams) I'm getting this same feeling from Harriet in so many of her songs so far, little inflections that my ears are picking up on and I'm really liking her vocals.

To hear her talk about Christmas, I can't help but remember how much Christmas meant to Karen as well yet another pull in for me. It sounds like Steve Anderson really know how to bring out the best in her vocals so it's exciting to see what is still to come with new material. It's pretty cool to get this close to an artist so early on...

It was a great interview and Harriet sounds a lovely person. She sounded well-spoken without sounding posh.

Addressing of the issue of sounding like Karen in a song was a really good way of doing it and in many ways, I think that could be enough. I don't think that working with Richard would be a good idea, not at this stage anyway. I think it would complicate things.

Harriet needs to be her own singer.

By the way, I never thought of Forgiven not Forgotten as fun and up tempo. (A bleeding heart torn apart and left on an icy grave) But to each their own

Don't mind me, I still listen to the SOUND of records and pay little attention to lyrics.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom