Harriet - (Singer with echoes of Karen Carpenter)*

That's cool, can't wait to hear how she sounds live, do you have a link? I hope I'm not working when it airs.

Just go to the BBC homepage and the links for Radio 2 Graham Norton show, but it begins at 5am EST for 3 hours and she could be on at anytime during that. I'd wait she will undoubtedly post it on her Facebook afterwards and that will I'm sure be linked to here.

If you go to Harrietsmusic on Facebook and scroll to October 30th, there's a picture of her singing live. Look how she's holding the microphone. Remind you of someone?

If you go to Harrietsmusic on Facebook and scroll to October 30th, there's a picture of her singing live. Look how she's holding the microphone. Remind you of someone?

Yes I saw that b&w photo, just like Karen did. I have been listening to all her tracks so far in my car everyday for the past 2 weeks and I just love her vocals. It says on her facebook page that she is recording vocals now in the studio...sounds to me like she is making her first full album. So exciting!!!

Harriet says in the print interview that she used to sing with a jazz band. I'd love to hear her sing some jazz tunes. Diana Krall comes to mind - I think she might have that kind of jazz style.

Lovely Photo from the interview above

p02fntjd.jpg

I am so looking forward to her EP and then full album! Thanks so much for posting the link and picture. :cool:

I first learned of The Corrs on this forum, from Harry, and have so enjoyed becoming familiar with their music. But this time it's a chance to follow a new artist from the beginning and anticipate each new release. Kind of like you know who's in the 70's as a kid. :whistle: (Only this time I don't have to save my babysitting money and beg for a ride to Record Rack.)

So thanks everyone who has posted on Harriet! Happy listening.

Just so amazing to watch her sing live! Like 'song4u' said, it's great to watch someone at the start of their career and to watch them develop.

I can't wait for her to start touring. For someone that never got to see the Carpenters in concert, this feels as close as I will get to that.

Harriet posted a terrific review of "Maybe This Christmas" coming in at #1 as the top 10 Christmas singles for 2014. It occurred to me after reading this article, why I love this song. This pretty much sums it up perfectly:

"I've always admired those who can create a seasonal number that evokes every nuance of the season, that will endure through the years and that's exactly what is offered up here. It feels like a modern Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, a song that brings out the melancholy pathos of the season yet retains that all important element of hope and optimism that gets us through any of the difficult times we encounter."

It reminded me that this song was written and produced much how Richard Carpenter would have written/produced something for Carpenters, meaning it's timeless and will endure for many years to come each season, much like Merry Christmas Darling that doesn't age but continues to bring life each year.

http://myfestivepop.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/top-christmas-singles-of-2014.html?m=1

• 01 ~ Harriet, Maybe This Christmas: Since this song was released in November, it's become the darling of BBC Radio 2 with many fans hopping board to experience the sincerity and grace this stunning Christmas ballad has to offer. It's a testament to the combined song craft talents of Harriet, Steve Anderson and Judie Tzuke that it stands shoulder to shoulder with the evergreen standards the EP that it comes from offers up. I've always admired those who can create a seasonal number that evokes every nuance of the season, that will endure through the years and that's exactly what is offered up here. It feels like a modern Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, a song that brings out the melancholy pathos of the season yet retains that all important element of hope and optimism that gets us through any of the difficult times we encounter. Harriet is always the most eloquent of narrators, bringing the lyrics to life with her undeniably alluring vocal style. It feels like the answer to "why do you celebrate Christmas so early each year" - imparting that despite all the things that can go wrong in life there is still a luster of beguiling spirit in the December months that can edify even the most bereft of souls. Sure it's easy to mock that the shops start stocking presents in October and that I start listening to festive music and watching classic Christmas movies in November, but I just want the season to last as long as it possibly can, reflecting some of it's glory into my own existence. Maybe This Christmas puts those sentiments to words and music with a consumately dainty melody that glistens like the brightest of stars on the most heavenly of decorated trees. Harriet touched my very soul with this one and it's left a stain that will enlighten and nourish me for many moons yet... (Make sure you watch the montage video above. It will bring a tear to your eye)

So my family was all together at Christmas today and after we exchanged gifts and all the commotion was over I went to play Harriet's, "Maybe This Christmas" on my phone (my family knows of my love of Carpenters so they are well aware of Karen's sound but I had not shared any info about my recent discovery of Harriet) so it's quiet and I say hey listen to this song.....after a few verses my mother says, is that Karen Carpenter? I said no...my sister says yeah it sounds like her. My mom says again are you sure? I said positive. I then showed them the live BBC radio video performance and they couldn't believe it wasn't Karen. They loved the song.

So my family was all together at Christmas today and after we exchanged gifts and all the commotion was over I went to play Harriet's, "Maybe This Christmas" on my phone (my family knows of my love of Carpenters so they are well aware of Karen's sound but I had not shared any info about my recent discovery of Harriet) so it's quiet and I say hey listen to this song.....after a few verses my mother says, is that Karen Carpenter? I said no...my sister says yeah it sounds like her. My mom says again are you sure? I said positive. I then showed them the live BBC radio video performance and they couldn't believe it wasn't Karen. They loved the song.

That's a lovely image, Chris, thanks for sharing :)

For anyone in or near London W8, Harriet is performing on the 30th January at 7pm. It looks like a fairly small set as she is one of four acts.

https://www.ticketweb.co.uk/event/151693

Back
Top Bottom