Pirated Herb Alpert CDs & Downloads

so Rudy what your saying the lonely bull vinyl that I had bought at half price book store on wax time is a bootleg? if it was no wonder the sound quality was blah and flat soundng. I Had bought that back in March of this year. paid $12.99

bob

so Rudy what your saying the lonely bull vinyl that I had bought at half price book store on wax time is a bootleg? if it was no wonder the sound quality was blah and flat soundng. I Had bought that back in March of this year. paid $12.99

bob

It's not pirated. It is, however, released in a country where copyrights for these recordings have expired, so in that country it is legal to manufacture it. To be honest, I own only one WaxTime LP, a Nat King Cole title that actually sounds pretty good. (I have a feeling they used an existing audiophile CD to master it from.) However, this company profits by riding on the work of others. They do not reveal their sources. Because they operate outside the "system" (if you will), they can pretty much release anything and import it to any country they choose. I've heard from others that their sound quality can be all over the place.

That same copyright issue is how that mono/stereo Lonely Bull CD release came into being.

And if you think about it, given how they operate, they easily could have cut the Shout Factory CD to vinyl and had a better sounding product!

thanks Rudy for the answer on back of the album cover it does not mention what country it is from . all it said in the ad in that came with it the catalog the address was in Spain.

bob

They may be operating in Spain--that may be one of the countries with the 50 year copyright laws. Thanks for the info!

While I agree that that one is not an officially-sanctioned release, it's one of the ones that fell into the "over-fifty-years, out-of-copyright" rules in the EU. Basically, anyone can copy an old LONELY BULL album over there and market them legally. There are a bunch of these LONELY BULL titles out there, many claiming mono and stereo, so they had to be sourced from old records. (I don't think they ever released any mono cassettes or 8-tracks, did they?)

Harry
HI Harry. To my Knowledge i have never seen any mono versions on cassette or 8 track of ANYTHING. Let alone Herb Alpert. Although i seen many bootlegged tapes of stuff over the years my late brother had one such 8 track by Gordon Lightfoot titled " The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald". Which was simply a bootlegged version of " Summertime Dream" (one of my all time favorite albums.) Personally i think these bootleggers need (as the frantics would appropriately say..) A Boot To The Head. IMO.

Just like that guy "Dr. Ebbetts", around 15 years-ago...making all those CDR's of early Beatles tracks in stereo (ironically, from CAPITOL tapes) the U.K. hadn't remastered until 2009.

To my Knowledge i have never seen any mono versions on cassette or 8 track of ANYTHING.
Me either, unless it was a very old recording that was only done in mono originally.

After all,the first "nickname" of the 8-track tape from Lear Jet was "Stereo 8" so putting anything on it in mono would have kinda defeated the purpose, no?

Checking this further: it is not Japanese, it has stereo & mono tracks, plus 4 bonus tracks, which sounds like something that has is not authorized by Herb and has been out about a year now in the U.K. and/or Europe.

That's what I figured and was hoping you could pass the word along to the powers that be.

That settles it. If it doesn't have "Music To Watch Girls Go By" on it, I'm not buying. :D

I do hope something can be done about these pirated recordings. What bothers me more is that all of the big retailers and streaming services sell a lot of these pirated items. Needs to stop.

Either that, or I'm thinking they just trust whichever distributor comes along and pushes new content at them, and assume anything they receive for distribution is legit.

As we know, that's not the case.

Either that, or I'm thinking they just trust whichever distributor comes along and pushes new content at them, and assume anything they receive for distribution is legit.

As we know, that's not the case.
Agreed. I also Think it could be a combination of Both. However The moral of the story would be in this case. " Blind faith can Kill and Destroy you and others". Another apt saying from my younger days that applies here would be "TRUST BUT VERIFY"!

More titles to avoid, shown on Tidal and elsewhere:

upload_2017-2-1_13-58-18.png

upload_2017-2-1_13-58-31.png

upload_2017-2-1_13-59-0.png

How Pathetic Looking They Look Phonier than a $4 bill and im sure they probably sound Even Worse. I know Amazon had a couple of these i heard the samples and They Were Awful Sounding. Thanks For always Alerting us Rudy. Those who put out these fakes need to be Shutdown.

I also see Herb's tunes on all sorts of cheezy compilations out there--they have the similar bad artwork, and have generic names like "Hits of the 60s."

I am probably going to work up a post on the main site showing images of all of these fakes, primarily to educate buyers and especially collectors who might think they are onto something special.

And as I mentioned earlier, Herb is not alone here. :sigh: Just yesterday I looked up some Jobim titles on Tidal and I am pretty sure the first ten titles are all unauthorized releases:

upload_2017-2-1_15-26-54.png

Pretty Cheap and Tacky Looking in my opinion to me they should have these words " AVOID AT ALL COSTS"!

One thing that has not been mentioned here, these out of copyright reissues still pay all publishing royalties to the songwriters and publishers, so it's not a total free ride. It's just in most countries of the world audio recordings have a 50 year copyright limit, which allows may overseas labels to issue material that is not considered commercially viable in this country. The quality, admittedly, varies considerably depending on the source material.

Considering most of the original TJB albums have running times of about 30 minutes, put me in the group that wishes Herb would add as bonus tracks the original hit singles to each album.

Considering most of the original TJB albums have running times of about 30 minutes, put me in the group that wishes Herb would add as bonus tracks the original hit singles to each album.

Where have you been? The re-issues are essentially done, with the large quantity released last September and the few more that released this past February.

it's one of the ones that fell into the "over-fifty-years, out-of-copyright" rules in the EU. Basically, anyone can copy an old LONELY BULL album over there and market them legally. There are a bunch of these LONELY BULL titles out there, many claiming mono and stereo, so they had to be sourced from old records.

What surprises me about these Public Domain companies, is that some are using the original album artwork on The Lonely Bull reissues. Seems like the artwork would be covered over a separate copyright?

From what I understand, Herb himself didn't have the actual artwork for these albums and had to get help from others to scan old LPs and then remove the A&M markings. Universal probably hasn't a clue where the old artwork is.

And these copyrights might be out of date anyway.

Back
Top Bottom