2015/2016/2017 Reissues Available as Downloads

I think the HD Tracks prices are high, but if they offered the dedicated mono albums or the mono singles as bonus tracks...They'd be well worth it.

tal paul, your right they are high in price. I agree with you the mono singles should be released, but who knows if those masters survived they might have drop outs. here is a list of the mono singles with different mixes

tijuana taxi with extra honks the mono album of going places does not have at the first rest rest. but the stereo version as one honk at the rest. zorba the greek added live cheers. the happening/town without pity. mexican corn has the piano part and

the stereo and mono from volume 2 does not. the great manolete has the guitar in the middle that you can hear. the stereo and mono albums does not. and there are a lot more. sure that would be great if those masters did survive maybe randy might

know or herb himself since he owns all of his masters

bob

There is almost no market for the mono versions, and we don't even know if those tapes exist anymore (likely not). The only mono release was that non-authorized Lonely Bull (which isn't quite a pirated recording since it is taking advantage of expired copyright). These releases are supposedly targeted mainly to the younger buyers who missed out on all of these recordings, not collectors or completists. It's maybe dozens of fans vs. tens of thousands of music buyers overall. Yes, I would like mono also, but logistically it would just not work out. The unique mono tracks would have made nice bonus tracks, however.

Expensive? Not for high-res. These are a relative bargain as I pointed out earlier. Buy these on a theoretical SACD and they would be at least $25 if not $30. (List price on many is $29.99.) They are a bargain at the listed price. And it somewhat discourages piracy. Many HDTracks prices are $25 and up just for the files, and many of those 60s and 70s albums even on pop and rock albums clocked in at barely over 30 minutes. And, high-res listeners are buying them. My caveat would be that if you don't have the playback equipment for them (a high-quality/audiophile network player or computer sound card), don't even bother looking at them unless you feel you will upgrade in the future, and want to download them before they are pulled from distribution.

I do think Tidal's price is out of line, however. 44.1/16 FLAC version for $18 is steep, for we know the CDs will probably be sold at an average price (guessing $12-$15).

Acoustic Sounds is now selling the Herb Alpert/TJB downloads:

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=herb,alpert&categoryID=365

Same price as HDTracks.

AS-Main-Logo.jpg

Got a question. There are free downloads that come with the vinyl copies. These are from Herb's web site. I haven't tried to redeem these yet. Is that part of the site up and running now?

Got a question. There are free downloads that come with the vinyl copies. These are from Herb's web site. I haven't tried to redeem these yet. Is that part of the site up and running now?
I haven't tried yet. I would guess they are MP3s, although some LPs these days come with high-res files for the free downloads. I'm curious to see what they are.

BTW, I totally forgot to mention this (beyond tweeting from @amcorner): Acoustic Sounds has a 12% discount, ending today (Wed. 1/6/2016), for all regularly priced products, including high-res downloads. Use promotional code NEW12 to get the discount (and make certain it is applied before checking out!).

Going Places sounds so sweet. The remastering is great. Talk about your labor of love.

Talking about geeks. I work with several. I'm geeky but not that bad. I do at least sit facing the table in meetings. I'm old enough to be the mother of most of the group. Had to explain a reference to "blue meanies" to them the other day. Apparently they had never seen Yellow Submarine. Made me feel very old.

Had to explain a reference to "blue meanies" to them the other day. Apparently they had never seen Yellow Submarine. Made me feel very old.
:laugh:

The real treasures among the younger generation are the ones who do get our references. Thankfully one of my daughters is into the older music; she can't stand most of what was released in her lifetime. I think I sort of got her hooked on Queen, and some others I have listened to over the years, like Peter Gabriel-era Genesis (especially Selling England by the Pound which got a lot of play here) and Earth Wind & Fire...and yes, a little of the Beatles, although we don't play them that often. Still working on breaking her into the stuff like Peter Gabriel, The Police, Pat Metheny, Depeche Mode, Jean-Luc Ponty, Sade, Earth Wind & Fire, etc. I do have a stack of vinyl for when she gets hooked up with a system (something I hope to do very soon, provided she has room at her mother's house for a system).

I'm anxious to hear the high-res files--I'm going to start picking some up next month, working all of the discounts and coupons so I don't have to trade a kidney. :D These will get you most of the way towards the analog originals.

:laugh:

The real treasures among the younger generation are the ones who do get our references. Thankfully one of my daughters is into the older music; she can't stand most of what was released in her lifetime. I think I sort of got her hooked on Queen, and some others I have listened to over the years, like Peter Gabriel-era Genesis (especially Selling England by the Pound which got a lot of play here) and Earth Wind & Fire...and yes, a little of the Beatles, although we don't play them that often. Still working on breaking her into the stuff like Peter Gabriel, The Police, Pat Metheny, Depeche Mode, Jean-Luc Ponty, Sade, Earth Wind & Fire, etc. I do have a stack of vinyl for when she gets hooked up with a system (something I hope to do very soon, provided she has room at her mother's house for a system).

I'm anxious to hear the high-res files--I'm going to start picking some up next month, working all of the discounts and coupons so I don't have to trade a kidney. :D These will get you most of the way towards the analog originals.
My daughter ( who turns 17 soon) is liking the older music too She likes the Beatles. And i introduced her to Herb alpert 11 years ago by buying her a copy of Lost treasures on cd. It will take time to introduce her to everything in my library that she may or may not know about yet. But she will inherit everything i have someday. After im gone in any case there are some younger people who are more open minded musically than their peers. " YES THERE IS HOPE FOR THE YOUTH OF TODAY".

We have a 17 year old employee at the theater who loves vinyl and '70s rock. I have thought about trying to introduce her to the TJB (she's kind of a free-spirit type) but I dunno if she'd dig it or not.

You never know. i was just a little kid when i was digging on the TJB.so who knows even when i mention Herb Alpert to younger college age folks they know what i am talking about and their eyes light up joyfully. ( and being a radio dj myself i always try to know what my listeners like. Especially my mostly female audience.)

We have a 17 year old employee at the theater who loves vinyl and '70s rock. I have thought about trying to introduce her to the TJB (she's kind of a free-spirit type) but I dunno if she'd dig it or not.
At that age, she'd say, "My grandfather had that album!" :laugh: (As opposed to our generation, where our dads had that album.)

Acoustic Sounds is still running a 12% off special on most products, including downloads. That puts the high-res files at $15.82 each. Use coupon code 12PERCENT. I don't know how long this sale will last, but all of the vinyl dealers (Soundstage Direct, Music Direct, etc.) seem to have the same 12% off currently.

Just download a lot more of the TJB newly remastered releases, albums and singles and I'm blown away by the sound, incredible.

"America" from Volume 2 is the first TJB song ever that hooked me, and the remaster is a must have...

Just downloaded Midnight Sun. This is one of the albums I never had. I'm lovin' that late night lounge sound. :cool:
I still have my original 1992 Cd of Midnight sun and DeeInKY. " I Couldn't Agree More" i Love His version of " All the things You Are" as well the rest of the Album. That is truly one of many " MUST HAVES".

If I didn't have other expenses going on this month, I was going to download a handful at Acoustic Sounds myself. I'm starting with favorites, then working my way outward to the others. It also will depend on the ongoing 12% off sale lasting until next month. :D

Good thing is, I'll have the new (to me) preamp in house, so I'll have something better to listen to them on.

The vinyl shops are having a discount war. :D

Acoustic Sounds now has 15% off on all vinyl, and on digital high-res downloads as well. Use discount code 15PERCENT. Good time to stock up on Herbie's albums in high-res!

I have picked up a handful of the high-res files, finally. More to come.

Let me just say (before I do a formal review) that you probably will never hear these albums this good... :shock:

Back
Top Bottom