How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 63 78.8%

Votes: 16 20.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
From what I've seen of the Christmas Specials, most of the songs from Portrait were recorded for the specials, and "Carol Of The Bells" seems to have been tracked for the 1974 Perry Como Christmas Special (minus the singers). What was done in 78 seemed to be a lot of bridging material and remix of older material. But still, it is interesting how with the material coming from multiple years, Richard and Karen still managed to make an album that sounded like it had been done with a master plan of the album being like a symphonic concert, with an interlude midway through for refreshments. And it's incredible that in 1984 Richard was able to expand the Christmas Portrait album and still make it feel like you were at a symphony.

As for "An Old-Fashioned Christmas", dvakman, when you look at side one (from "It Came Upon A Midnight Clear" to "Little Altar Boy", there are only 2 songs by Karen ("Home For The Holidays" and "Little Altar Boy", with possible some vocals in the Overture), while the rest is Richard, with vocals on "It Came", "O Little Town Of Bethlehem" and other Overture songs, and An Old-Fashioned Christmas. And the side 2 is Karen's side, where you sort of have a hand-off by Richard with "Do You Hear What I Hear?" and Karen finishing, and singing "He Came", "Santa Claus" "New Year's Eve" and "I Heard The Bells", with the only Richard tracks being the instrumentals "My Favorite Things" and "The Nutcracker".

This has probably been posted on these forums before but it's new to me:

Christmas Portrait Interview With Karen Carpenter (December 1978)
The radio station is KIQQ in Los Angeles. Karen gives a few insights for each song before it is played. Always fascinating to hear her speak!

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J70xdSeJt6w
Part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9njv2mJEiEM
Part 5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBHgIWqSjf4
Part 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asrlGBl7R7I

I first heard this album on a homemade cassette tape that had three different Christmas albums on it: Mannheim Steamroller, Julie Andrews and Carpenters. The tape wasn't quite long enough, so it cut off right before the end of "Carol of the Bells." I never knew about the rest of the album until I bought a vinyl copy later on. I don't think I'll ever tire of "Christmas Portrait." It's warm and rich, just like Christmas ought to be!

I read this article in the Deseret News out of Salt Lake City years ago, but I've never forgotten it. Even though the author gets the date wrong for Karen's passing and the release of "Christmas Portrait: Special Edition," I appreciate the sentiments here. Karen really did produce some of her greatest work during some of the darkest times in her life. I think much great art is produced under similar circumstances.

This is one of my favorite quotes from the article:"[Karen] suffered greatly from anorexia, as everyone knows. Her death was tragic. But her suffering didn't make it into her music. In concert, she continued to sing heart-warming songs. Some might claim that shows insincerity. I say it shows courage. She never showcased the dark side but always beamed light. She kept her personal suffering in the shadows as she encouraged and touched others. She was an inspiration."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/635171068/Carpenter-was-truly-a-woman-of-courage.html?pg=all

NowhereMan, he actually got the date wrong for the original Christmas Portrait, as Silent Night was the last song on side 1 of the original version in 1978.

TomSwift, you're correct that Christmas Portrait was originally released in 1978, but I think that the author was referring to the Special Edition disc which was released in 1984. That would explain the reference to "Silent Night" being released the year after she died, even though he got the dates wrong. He didn't explicitly say which album it was, but that seemed like the most likely release that he would be referring to. :)

The Inner Sleeve of 1978 Christmas Portrait
specifically credits Richard Carpenter's Piano
playing on Two Songs:
Carol Of The Bells
and,
It's Christmas Time.

It had escaped my notice all theses years, but the beautiful illustration of Karen Carpenter--
which can be seen on the Poster for the "Tribute To Karen Carpenter" 1983 in Long Beach
with Richard Carpenter,John Bettis, Frank Pooler---
was done by the same Robert Tanenbaum responsible for the cover illustrations of the Christmas Albums.
Thus, I understand why he was, again, chosen for the Old-Fashioned Christmas artwork;
but, it is strange that the 1978 and 1983 illustrations are so very good--- not so,in 1984.

Karen during the KIQQ interview: "we cut far too many songs that didn't make the album - at least 12" ...

So, here is Part 8 of the (1984?) Japanese Special Sayonara,
if you care to watch --and listen to--
Ave Maria without the Choir:

Coming soon to a forum near you...the complete 1983 Sayonara Carpenters and 2002 Carpenters Forever Japanese specials and the 1996 BBC TV documentary Yesterday Once More :)

Yes ! Stephen....
I had never seen the Sayonara Specials....until today !
And, lo and behold, from 1984 Richard Carpenter, in that Television Special,
presents Ave Maria to the Japanese audience as "a present" for Christmas.
Now, of course, my mind asks....exactly when did he decide to throw in the Choir ?
I mean, wouldn't the An Old Fashioned Christmas LP already be "in the can" for USA release ?

I notice the Billboard Ad for Christmas Portrait (1978)
touts a 96-Voice Choir and 50-piece Orchestra.
I don't recall seeing those numbers "in print" (although,obviously they may be somewhere else).
Richard Carpenter ( Carpenter Web): ".... with an oversize studio orchestra and chorus..."

ā€œCHRISTMAS PORTRAITā€

christmasportrait.jpg

Catalogue Number: A&M SP-4726
Date of Release: 10/13/78
Chart Position- U.S.: #145
Album Singles: "Christmas Song"/"Merry Christmas, Darling"
Medium: Vinyl/Cassette/CD (West Germany/U.S. "Special Edition", Japan,
U.S. Christmas Collection, Disc 1)
Track Listing:

1.) O Come, O Come Emmanuel*** :28 (P.D. Arrg. & Adapted by Richard Carpenter)
2.) Overture*: 4:38

a. Deck The Halls (With Boughs Of Holly) / (P.D. Trad French Carol)
b. I Saw Three Ships (P.D. Trad Welsh Carol)
c. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas (Martin/Blane)
d. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen (P.D. Trad English Carol)
e. Away In A Manger (Lutherā€™s Cradle Hymn) / (P.D. Luther/Mueller/Spilman)
f. What Child Is This? (Greensleeves) / (P.D. Will C. Dix)
g. Carol Of The Bells (P.D. Trad Ukranian Carol)
h. O Come All Ye Faithful (Adeste Fideles) / (P.D. English version: Oakeley/Wade/Reai)

3.) The Christmas Waltz* 2:15 (Cahn/Styne)
4.) Sleigh Ride** 2:39 (Parish/Anderson)
5.) Itā€™s Christmas Time/Sleep Well, Little Children* 2:53 (Young/Stilman/Bergman/Klatzkin)
6.) Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas** 3:55 (Martin/Blane)
7.) Santa Claus Is Coming To Town* 1:05 (Giliespie/Coots)
8.) The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting On An Open Fire)** 3:39 (Torme/Wells)
9.) Silent Night* 3:19 (P.D. Orig. Music by Franz Gruber, Arrg. & Adapted by Peter Knight)
10.) Jingle Bells* 1:10 (P.D. Orig Music: James Pierpont, Arrg. & Adapted by Peter Knight)
11.) The First Snowfall/Let It Snow (Medley)* 3:35 (Webster/Burke) & (Cahn/Styne)
12.) Carol Of The Bells* 1:39 (P.D. Trad Ukranian Carol, Arrg. & Adapted by Richard Carpenter)
13.) Merry Christmas Darling+*** 3:05 (Pooler/Carpenter)
14.) Iā€™ll Be Home For Christmas** 3:48 (Gannon/Kent/Ram)
15.) Christ Is Born* 3:13 (Charles/Bartolucci)
16.) Medley**: 5:31

a. Winter Wonderland" (Smith/Bernard)
b. Silver Bells" (Livingston/Evans)
c. White Christmas" (Berlin)

17.) Ave Maria* 2:35 (P.D. Original Music: Johann Sebastian Bach, Adapted by Charles Gounod, This arrg & adaptation by Peter Knight)

Credits:

Produced by Richard Carpenter
Associate Producer Karen Carpenter
Lead Vocals: Karen Carpenter and Richard Carpenter
Arranged by Peter Knight*, Billy May**, and Richard Carpenter***
Keyboards: Pete Jolly and Richard Carpenter
Bass: Joe Osborn
Drums: Ron Tutt and Cubby Oā€™Brien
Guitars: Bob Bain, Tony Peluso and Tommy Tedesco
Harp: Gayle Levant and Dorothy Remsen
Oboe: Earl Dumler and John Ellis
Tenor Sax: Bob Messenger
Vocals: The Tom Bahler Chorale and Karen & Richard Carpenter
Engineered by Ray Gerhardt, Roger Young and Dave Iveland
Mastering Engineer: Bernie Grundman
+"Merry Christmas Darling" Produced by Jack Daugherty
Special Thanks to: Ed Sulzer
Personal Management: Jerry Weintraub / Management Three
Art Direction & Design: Tim Bryant / Gribbit
Illustration: Robert Tenenbaum

Ā© 1978 A&M Records, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

In your album description for "Medium" type, you skipped 8 track. It is one of two Carpenters 8 tracks that I own. This is my favorite Christmas album in my collection. I also have it in the LP, cassette tape, "Special Edition" CD, and "Christmas Collection" CD formats as well. This also applies to the album information on the Resources page as well.

Last edited:
In your album description for "Medium" type, you skipped 8 track. It is one of two Carpenters 8 tracks that I own. This is my favorite Christmas album in my collection. I also have it in the LP, cassette tape, "Special Edition" CD, and "Christmas Collection" CD formats as well. This also applies to the album information on the Resources page as well.

Thanks for pointing that out John! I've updated the thread :)

It's kind of surprising that, considering that Christmas Portrait was released on so many formats, for CD release, A&M and Richard haven't used a LP or 8-track copy to release the original mixes (or even the West German CD release). Sure the release wouldn't be as good as coming from the original master tapes, but still, it would sound better than using 1/4" audio cassette.

The original release of this is the definitive version. I can't even listen to the tampered versions released on CD (except the original WG release :wink: ). I still can't get over how annoyed I was when I picked up that first "Special Edition" version, not expecting to hear what I did. I don't think I played it more than a couple of times.

Iā€™ve heard a number of fans on this forum mention how ā€œtheirā€ Carpenters Christmas album is the horribly botched Special Edition version. Thatā€™s highly unfortunate. Beyond ā€œthe voice,ā€ the songs and sequencing on the original LP are an important part of what make Christmas Portrait so special, by my ear (and heart).

The other day I was listening to the 1995 3-inch CD single of "The Christmas Song/Winter Wonderland-Silver Bells-White Christmas" and I was surprised to hear just the remixed wobble-fade-out without the DX-7 piano. I'm used to hearing the 1996 CD that has the DX-7 playing over the wobble.

Yes ! Stephen....
I had never seen the Sayonara Specials....until today !
And, lo and behold, from 1984 Richard Carpenter, in that Television Special,
presents Ave Maria to the Japanese audience as "a present" for Christmas.
Now, of course, my mind asks....exactly when did he decide to throw in the Choir ?
I mean, wouldn't the An Old Fashioned Christmas LP already be "in the can" for USA release ?
GaryAlan, I just watched some of the Sayonara clip, and with this special it may be that, especially since Richard mentions that the clip is from the 78 special, and since TV was still, for the most part, mono in 1984, it may've been cheaper for the producers of the Sayonara special to just get a copy of the original video with the original audio, rather than having Richard and a VTR technician re-synch the 1984 version of "Ave Maria".

I figure since we are all gearing up for 'holiday mode, not to mention the recent forum discussion regarding the upcoming Carpenters Christmas Memories DVD, it would be fitting to bump the Christmas album threads to the top! For those who have already contributed to this thread in previous years' discussion, feel free to continue adding new and fresh insights on this great music!

Listening to this today for the first time this Christmas season. Every time I hear it, I fall in love with Karen's incredible voice all over again!

Unexpected delight today. Upon my first listen to this album this year, I noticed a line of Richard singing that I'd never noticed before. At least I think it's him.

It's on Santa Claus etc. . . and he comes in to harmonize with Karen on "be good for goodness sake". Love the way his vocals are sprinkled throughout the album.

laters

Neil

Always a curiosity, and Iā€™d be interested in hearing othersā€™ theories: on the LP liner notes where the lyrics to ā€œWhite Christmasā€ should have been, thereā€™s a quick note, presumably from the duo, that reads, ā€œ'White Christmas' is the kind of Christmas song that should be listened to, and besides, we thought you might already know the words.ā€

What on earth was that supposed to mean? I understand the songā€™s sentimental context related to the movie (i.e., soldiers abroad, longing for home during the holidays), but is there something more that Iā€™m missing? Itā€™s always been a puzzle to me.

Always a curiosity, and Iā€™d be interested in hearing othersā€™ theories: on the LP liner notes where the lyrics to ā€œWhite Christmasā€ should have been, thereā€™s a quick note, presumably from the duo, that reads, ā€œ'White Christmas' is the kind of Christmas song that should be listened to, and besides, we thought you might already know the words.ā€

What on earth was that supposed to mean? I understand the songā€™s sentimental context related to the movie (i.e., soldiers abroad, longing for home during the holidays), but is there something more that Iā€™m missing? Itā€™s always been a puzzle to me.

The reason for this is because composer Irving Berlin refused granting permission in the publishing of the lyrics, even to his closest colleagues. The song was never published in any major book publication, however only as an individual piece of sheet music through Hal Leonard publishing.

Back
Top Bottom