TJB tour date at Blossom Music Center from aug 1968

bob

hi Captain B by chance do you remember the tour dates of the TJB at the Blossom Music Center in cuyahoga falls, Ohio

what dates was that? becasue if I remember right you attended that concert as well. from August of 1968 . I tried

looking on the internet but they have them starting at 1970, I am putting some information of my own, so if

you remember that date would you post it.

thanks
bob

This is all I see for Ohio in the summer of '68:
Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass 06-12-1968 Cincinatti Gardens Cincinnati, OH w/ The Checkmates, Ltd.

Are you sure that you're not talking about the Bullish Tour?

Herb Alpert/Tijuana Brass w/ Lani Hall 08-22-1984 Blossom Music Center Cleveland, OH Bullish World Tour

Steve I am sure it is from Aug of 1968 and from what the Captain it was at the Blossom Music Center in Cuyahoga falls, Ohio Near Akron, Ohio he was at that same concert. I got the tour book with the black cover with the same picture as Early Alpert I never saw herb and Lani together from the Bullish tour.
thanks Steve for answering

bob

I saw the TjB in Philadelphia in, I believe '67 or '68. For sure, I saw them in 1969, touring with O.C.Smith. This was my ticket stub:

tjbtix.jpg

Harry

sorry captain I will be 60 march 17th so I believe the memory is the start to go

bob

Saw both years of the new TJB at Blossom: July 1974 and July 1975. The first year promoted "You Smile" and the second, "Coney Island." Still have the souvenir program. During that '74 date, he talked about the birth of his daughter and what an overwhelming experience it was. Bob Findley was from nearby, I remember them saying.

There was to be a TJB concert in Atlanta in the fall of '74, and I drove back from college to attend it. When my buddy and I got to the entrance of the Civic Center, the security guard said, "sorry. He's in Tijuana." They had cancelled and I hadn't gotten word. Others were walking up behind us and learned the same thing, so I didn't feel like I'd missed something obvious.

hi Captain B by chance do you remember the tour dates of the TJB at the Blossom Music Center in cuyahoga falls, Ohio

what dates was that? becasue if I remember right you attended that concert as well. from August of 1968 . I tried

looking on the internet but they have them starting at 1970, I am putting some information of my own, so if

you remember that date would you post it.

thanks
bob

Yes, I was there both nights.

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass appeared at Blossom Music Center on Monday, August 5, 1968, and Tuesday, August 6, 1968.

1968 was the first season for Blossom Music Center. The opening act was Sonny Charles and The Checkmates LTD.

Last edited:
Herb and the Brass played a concert in Billings, Montana during their original heyday.... I don't know for sure, but it was probably during the Midland Empire State Fair, which (at that time) was about the only way to see concerts in Billings. It's possible it was a "standalone" concert but I don't remember Billings ever hosting concerts besides the ones at the fair, in those days.

It happened before I became an Alpert fan so I missed it!

Nowadays Billings has a 10,000 seat arena and a downtown movie theater that was converted to a 1400-seat performing arts hall, plus they still have the fairgrounds and a handful of smaller venues sprinkled around town, so there are many concerts big and small. I'm kind of surprised Herb and Lani haven't found their way there yet, especially since they hit Bozeman (which is 1/4 the size of Billings) a couple of years ago.

I'm sure I saw either the 67 or 68 tour in Philly, maybe both, and still have my ticket stub from the 69 tour where the warmup act was O.C.Smith.

tjbtix.jpg

I saw them in Cleveland, Ohio, about two weeks later, on Monday, October 27, 1969.

O.C.Smith was the warm up on the Cleveland program as well.

The Brass Are Comin' was the new album at that time, and they played "Good Morning, Mr. Sunshine" from that album.

hi guys that blossom was august 5 and 6th 1968 i was at that concert that is where I went back stage and met herb alpert and tonni kallash and got there autographs and still have them to this day and herb took a picture of me and toni and got the tour book which was blue.

I sat in the pavilion area the first night and on the lawn the second night.

I had never been to any kind of program like that before - this was the first time I had ever heard such a group perform in a concert situation. Two of the things I remember clearly was the Altec Lansing sound system they used and the playing abilities of the band. Maybe that's because I was involved in music performance myself at the time, and noticed those things.

Back in those days, Blossom was a wonderful place to go. Those were two marvelous, unforgettable, and magical nights. Blossom was brand new, and it as an exciting place to go.

However, times have changed, music has changed, and I haven't had any desire to attend any kind of concert there for a long time. It is still the summer home of the Cleveland Orchestra.

Herb and the Brass played a concert in Billings, Montana during their original heyday.... I don't know for sure, but it was probably during the Midland Empire State Fair, which (at that time) was about the only way to see concerts in Billings. It's possible it was a "standalone" concert but I don't remember Billings ever hosting concerts besides the ones at the fair, in those days.

It happened before I became an Alpert fan so I missed it!

Nowadays Billings has a 10,000 seat arena and a downtown movie theater that was converted to a 1400-seat performing arts hall, plus they still have the fairgrounds and a handful of smaller venues sprinkled around town, so there are many concerts big and small. I'm kind of surprised Herb and Lani haven't found their way there yet, especially since they hit Bozeman (which is 1/4 the size of Billings) a couple of years ago.

In my database, I have 5/17/68 (with The Checkmates Ltd.) at Montana State University in Bozeman. If there were other Montana dates, I have not yet found them. :wink:

The photo on the rear of the SRO album is the Allentown (Pennsylvania) State Fair.

The live concert footage from the Beat of the Brass TV special also looks like state fair type venues. Or is it possible that this is also from the Allentown Fair?

I wonder where those scenes were filmed? In the TV special, I recall that a sign for the Ohio State Fair is seen with dates around mid-August, 1968. That would be shortly after the Blossom Music Center performances.

I have 5/17/68 (with The Checkmates Ltd.) at Montana State University in Bozeman. If there were other Montana dates, I have not yet found them.

That's entirely possible that it was Bozeman and not Billings. I just remember hearing about the concert from somebody -- probably my dad or grandpa and maybe they got the location wrong.

Back
Top Bottom