Public Broadcasting Exclusive: Carpenters The Complete Singles Release

Thanks so much - - that's the cool thing about this show, I have the freedom to play what people ask for - - the gentlemen who asked for "Sometimes" was a perfect example. It was also great Jim happened to be here with me in the studio as we're working on a new PBS special in our "My Music" series, great to get him on talking about the Carpenters set.

Thank you so much for playing "Rainy Days and Mondays" for me Mr. Lubinsky. You made my night tonight-- I closed my eyes and it was just me and Karen. I'll be sure to send more requests -- Carpenters especially -- your way next time.

I just received my set in the mail today. "Ticket To Ride" sounds pretty good. Otherwise the only problem that I have with the set is that disc 2 arrived jammed onto the center spindle, where when I tried to remove it it wouldn't come out, and even using two hands, one on the disc edges and the other depressing the center spindle it finally popped off but cracked the disc. (At one point I had even tried to break the tiny plastic pieces of the spindle to get the dis out, but I was unable to). I've had other jammed CD's before that I was able to remove without the disc breaking but this time it was on there good and tight. Should I contact my local PBS station to get a new set or is there a way to get just a replacement disc 2?

I'll bet if you write a letter to the distribution company and send them a photo of your cracked disk, they will send you a replacement. You might want to check their website (probably listed on the back of the package, I would look right now but I'm at work) and give them a phone call first -- they may want you to send in the actual disk. I can't imagine they would want to leave you stuck with a defective product.

Yes, and that's about the only other place you'll find it. Speculators grabbed extra copies from Public Television with the idea of turning a quick prophet. I suspect they do all right in that regard, particularly among non US customers who have no access to Public TV in the US.

I'll bet if you write a letter to the distribution company and send them a photo of your cracked disk, they will send you a replacement. You might want to check their website (probably listed on the back of the package, I would look right now but I'm at work) and give them a phone call first -- they may want you to send in the actual disk. I can't imagine they would want to leave you stuck with a defective product.

I contacted PBS, and they're sending a new disc out, since I wasn't sure whether to cal TJL or Universal.

And Harry, don't you mean non-US/Canadian residents as, from what I know, most cable/satellite companies in Canada carry one eastern and one western PBS station.

Harry, don't you mean non-US/Canadian residents as, from what I know, most cable/satellite companies in Canada carry one eastern and one western PBS station.

Well sure. I'm just not all that familiar with the Canadian television system.

I would be part of that group, "some people" who have not ordered the Set !
Not only do I no longer purchase cd's, the only purchases I make these days
are Vinyl pressings. Even then, few and far between.
This PBS set holds no attraction for me.

The set would be lovely to have, but not at such a steep price! :eek: Plus, if you have the 45s and a record player, isn't this basically the same sound? Maybe a little less convenient, but...

GaryAlan, you are such a devoted fan and this set can't be described any other way but lovely and to hear these songs as we heard them growing up brings back instant memories. Indeed, we already have the creme of the crop in the surround mixes of the SACD The Singles, but not until I heard this set did I see its value. I would hate that you miss out on this collection of memories!
Those vinyl 45's weren't the best in Stereo production or playback
I would be part of that group, "some people" who have not ordered the Set !
Not only do I no longer purchase cd's, the only purchases I make these days
are Vinyl pressings. Even then, few and far between.
This PBS set holds no attraction for me.
and unless you had a 500.00 turntable with an expensive tube amp and 1000.00 speakers it would be hard pressed to hear the mellow tones dedicated to vinyl and I would have to say that there are great CD players with great analog converters that can almost match the warm feeling when combined with the right amp and speakers. I know it's not the same but nothing beats the sonic clarity at each repetition. It's fun to shop for the best in high fidelity, and then....those memories. I have the old vinyl and this CD package helps you hear it as if it was a first time listen....the first time listen! So, I guess my encouragement to all is this set purchase from PBS (and a purchase of the SACD of The Singles 1969-1981 if your system can play the surround mixes.)

I agree with Craig here...for the reason alone that this might be our only U.S. officially released Singles set it's a must have in my book. I have learned my lesson the hard way, never wait until after it goes out of print to make your decision. The only thing I'm disappointed on with this PBS set is the transfer they used for "Calling Occupants" sounds like a vinyl transfer other than that it's a must have. I'm super impressed with the transfer for "Santa Claus" doesn't sound like a vinyl transfer and it sounds much better than the Japan Singles Set to me which I feel was a vinyl transfer.

I contacted PBS, and they're sending a new disc out, since I wasn't sure whether to cal TJL or Universal.

And Harry, don't you mean non-US/Canadian residents as, from what I know, most cable/satellite companies in Canada carry one eastern and one western PBS station.
Not necessarily. Not all PBS stations on cable in Canada will ship "thank you gifts" across the border. Where I live, we get PBS Boston, and PBS Seattle on cable. The Boston station won't ship to Canada, and while the Seattle station will, they only accept donations in US dollars (so add over 30% to the price, plus bank charges), and issue US tax receipts only (a recent change) so that's of no use here. They also send out a monthly program guide, and give access to streaming video of PBS programs to contributors... but only for US residents and not for Canadians! The result is that the CD set is very expensive for Canadians, and we get none of the additional benefits that US residents get for donating to PBS. For those reasons, I decided to pass on this release.

Congratulations to all those who got "The Complete Singles" set. It looks very nice, and I gladly would have bought one if I could have gotten it from someplace like Amazon at a reasonable price. I may be a huge Carpenters fan, but even I have my limits.

Not necessarily. Not all PBS stations on cable in Canada will ship "thank you gifts" across the border. Where I live, we get PBS Boston, and PBS Seattle on cable. The Boston station won't ship to Canada, and while the Seattle station will, they only accept donations in US dollars (so add over 30% to the price, plus bank charges), and issue US tax receipts only (a recent change) so that's of no use here. They also send out a monthly program guide, and give access to streaming video of PBS programs to contributors... but only for US residents and not for Canadians! The result is that the CD set is very expensive for Canadians, and we get none of the additional benefits that US residents get for donating to PBS. For those reasons, I decided to pass on this release.

Congratulations to all those who got "The Complete Singles" set. It looks very nice, and I gladly would have bought one if I could have gotten it from someplace like Amazon at a reasonable price. I may be a huge Carpenters fan, but even I have my limits.

Okay, I thought they did, as WPBS accepted donations in Canadian dollars and at par. Plus they've got an office in Ontario.

I'd get it now while it's in print. As a Carpenters fan who didn't discover this site until a year ago, I realized just how much stuff I was missing. I wasn't around when all the great compilations were released. And when it came time to try and acquire them, I paid quite a bit more than original list price because all of them were already out-of-print, and that's what drives the prices so high (especially if you are looking for sealed copies).

I did not buy it. I just cannot afford another compilation of what we mostly already have. Now, a 50th boxed set would be another issue altogether! :)

The PBS offered (c. 2015) DVD has appeared on ebay for $14.99, today.
What are the actual Bonus features of this DVD, as compared to the earlier (MPI) Version ?

I noticed tonight looking at the inner booklet along with the track name and usual credits with running time that if the single charted they have also listed what # the song charted for both the pop and adult contemporary charts along with the year.
For instance, Solitaire says Pop#17, AC #1 (1975)
I thought this was a nice added touch to the booklet.

You know, you have to wonder why Richard and A&M never let it be mentioned about how well the Carpenters did on the Adult Contemporary charts. I mean both Richard's "Something In Your Eyes" and Karen's "If I Had You" we're Top 20 A/C hits. Sure they weren't mainstream, but they did chart. You know there are some acts out there, like Alan Jackson, Jason Blaine, who have never or rarely hit the Hot 100 or 200, but the still hit high on the Country charts. You've got to wonder, if Karen had lived, would the Carpenters have still been getting hits in the 90's and 2000's, although not on the mainstream chart, but on the Adult Contemporary chart?

Back
Top Bottom