🥂 50th Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 - Ultimate Collection 50th Anniversary

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
(Moderator: See further down thread for real track list.)
371110.jpg

Australia's Fanfare Records has created a Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 - Ultimate Collection 50th Anniversary disc. The track listing is:
  1. GOING OUT OF MY HEAD
  2. LOOK AROUND
  3. SO MANY STARS
  4. DAY TRIPPER
  5. LIKE A LOVER
  6. PRETTY WORLD
  7. NIGHT AND DAY
  8. THE LOOK OF LOVE
  9. FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH
  10. SCARBOROUGH FAIR
  11. WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE
  12. (SITTIN’ ON) THE DOCK OF THE BAY
  13. THE FOOL ON THE HILL
  14. MAS QUE NADA

It's certainly nothing we haven't heard before, but it's nice to see someone doing something.

Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 - Ultimate Collection »

Harry

Hmm, well it's nice to see a release, but "Ultimate" collection? I would have to disagree on that. Heck there's room on the CD for about 10 more songs!

Nice song selection though, and I'm glad it doesn't start out with "Mas Que Nada" like so many do. Changes it up a bit.

I think if I was the compiler, I would have swapped out "For What It's Worth" for either "Viramundo" or "Chelsea Morning," and I would have exchanged "What the World Needs Now" for "Ye Me Le."

I would have added as a bonus track " Wichita Lineman" from Ye-Me-Le i heard their version first long before Glen Campbell's original. And i prefer Sergio's version

I can never get used to the sequencing on these compilations, since the "original" track orderings from the LPs are so permanently implanted in my mind.

As a long time Stillness fan , I think it is " sometimes in winter " which is best song of that period !
I would agree, it's a terrific song but it doesn't quite fit into the "hits compilation" mode.

Seeing that it is an Australian release, the tunes could have been selected based on popularity in their country, vs. elsewhere in the world.

I finally got around to adding this one to the collection. The sound of the disc is fine, but some of the track indexing isn't as precise as I would like it. You hit your player's button and some of the tracks have a second or so of silence at the start. Most discs' tracks usually start right away (after about .4 seconds of silence), so this one feels a little "sloppy" in that respect.

Best aspect of this one is the packaging. There's a tri-fold booklet with lots of overlapping images of picture-sleeve singles and album covers, plus some promo pictures of the group. "Bibi" gets a lot of representations in the pictures.
I've scanned the contents for the curious.
Cover:
scan0007.jpg

Rear:
scan0008.jpg

Disc:
scan0009.jpg

Trifold image edited together:
scan0004.jpg

Booklet track listing:
scan0006.jpg

And, as things turned out, "Mas Que Nada" has been placed first.

371110.jpg

Australia's Fanfare Records has created a Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 - Ultimate Collection 50th Anniversary disc. The track listing is:
  1. GOING OUT OF MY HEAD
  2. LOOK AROUND
  3. SO MANY STARS
  4. DAY TRIPPER
  5. LIKE A LOVER
  6. PRETTY WORLD
  7. NIGHT AND DAY
  8. THE LOOK OF LOVE
  9. FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH
  10. SCARBOROUGH FAIR
  11. WHAT THE WORLD NEEDS NOW IS LOVE
  12. (SITTIN’ ON) THE DOCK OF THE BAY
  13. THE FOOL ON THE HILL
  14. MAS QUE NADA

It's certainly nothing we haven't heard before, but it's nice to see someone doing something.

Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66 - Ultimate Collection »

Harry
Hmm, well it's nice to see a release, but "Ultimate" collection? I would have to disagree on that. Heck there's room on the CD for about 10 more songs!

Nice song selection though, and I'm glad it doesn't start out with "Mas Que Nada" like so many do. Changes it up a bit.

I think if I was the compiler, I would have swapped out "For What It's Worth" for either "Viramundo" or "Chelsea Morning," and I would have exchanged "What the World Needs Now" for "Ye Me Le."
It seems to me that there should be a batch of stuff from Brasil'66 that was recorded but never released. For example, for Brasil'77 what was the flipside of "The Crab" single? I guess no one has delved into the A&M vaults.

"The Crab's" b-side was "After Sunrise"(from PRIMAL ROOTS).

Back
Top Bottom