The Monkees : General Discussion

natureaker

Since I couldn't find a thread about them, I decided to make one. Anyone here a fan of The Monkees? I've been a fan of their music for a while now, and absolutely love their TV show! My favorite songs by them are P.O. Box 9847, Smile, Love Is Only Sleeping, Listen To The Band, Daydream Believer, and many more.
This thread is for general discussions regarding the band (i.e. albums, songs, episodes of the TV show, ect).
Apologies if this thread is too broad or has already been made without me realizing it

Got the original DVD box set from Rhino (both Seasons 1 & 2). Wish I had the blu-ray because it is cleaner!! Saw The Monkees (minus Mike Nesmith) back on Tuesday, August 5, 1986 at the Pine Knob Music Theatre in Clarkston, Michigan during their 20th Anniversary Tour with Gary Puckett, The Grass Roots & Herman's Hermits (minus Peter Noone). YES, they had screams back then & I had to stand up instead of sitting down!! Also got the 9 reissue Rhino albums from both 1985 & 1986. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I am still waiting for Micky Dolenz to do remakes of Fleetwood Mac & Lindsay Buckingham!!:tiphat: Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Got the original DVD box set from Rhino (both Seasons 1 & 2). Wish I had the blu-ray because it is cleaner!! Saw The Monkees (minus Mike Nesmith) back on Tuesday, August 5, 1986 at the Pine Knob Music Theatre in Clarkston, Michigan during their 20th Anniversary Tour with Gary Puckett, The Grass Roots & Herman's Hermits (minus Peter Noone). YES, they had screams back then & I had to stand up instead of sitting down!! Also got the 9 reissue Rhino albums from both 1985 & 1986. Matt Clark Sanford, MI
That must've been awesome! I would've gotten a box set, but damn, those things are expensive! :rolleyes: I would've seen them in concert during their most recent 50th anniversary tour, but I didn't find out about it until after the actual concert

By the way when Rhino reissued the albums in 1985 & 1986, their debut with the songs "Saturday's Child" & "Tomorrow's Gonna Be Another Day" are both in mono, the song "This Just Doesn't Seem To Be My Day" has a long ending (about 15 more seconds than the original) & in stereo, "Headquarters" song "I'll Ever Get Her Off Of My Mind" is in mono, "Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd." songs "The Door Into Summer", "Love Is Only Sleeping", "Daily Nightly" & "Don't Count On Me" are all in mono as well & "The Monkees Present" song "Listen To The Band" is in mono. Also the song "The Girl I Knew Somewhere" was also in mono from "That Was Then, This Is Now: The Best Of The Monkees" released on Arista in 1986. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

There is a lot of information about the Monkees on Facebook. Since this is their 50's anniversary, there has been a lot of news. This includes a new album called "Good times" and the series remastered for Blue ray. There is also a Monkees podcast if you are interested. Zilch!:A Monkees Podcast! »

There is a lot of information about the Monkees on Facebook. Since this is their 50's anniversary, there has been a lot of news. This includes a new album called "Good times" and the series remastered for Blue ray. There is also a Monkees podcast if you are interested. Zilch!:A Monkees Podcast! »
I actually got Good Times when it came out. It's a great album, and I absolutely love "Me And Magdalena", "I Was There (And I'm Told I Had A Good Time)", "Love To Love" and "Our Own World".
Man, those podcasts seem pretty interesting! I'll definitely listen to them whenever I can find the time to

Oh, and just one random thing I learned: once, Mike Nesmith got so bored on the set of The Monkees, he decided to have a talk with the backdrop. He did this, people started listening, and when he was done, he just continued on with his day! Well, that might be an interesting story to tell his children :laugh:

I too own the two dvd sets of their episodes and i became a fan in 1986 when MTV ( now an oxymoron since they dont do music videos anymore) began playing their episodes and as a 19 year old music freak i was hooked. I still enjoy their music and Tv series even today.

Yep, back in February of 1986 when MTV showed "The Monkees" & the marathon, that was the very first time that I saw the episodes. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

The guys that created the Monkees ("RAYBERT": Bob Rafelson and Bert Schneider)...*certainly* WERE NOT "HACKS" or "GET RICH QUICK"-types, either (as the elitists of rock have always tried to discredit the band's existence over).
Rafelson had been an associate producer -in 1962- on a show called "HOOTENANNY" (the *first* such variety series centering around FOLK music), then: pretty much was responsible for JACK NICHOLSON's career taking-off (Rafelson directed FIVE EASY PIECES and -later- KING OF MARVIN GARDENS).
Schneider, on the other hand, was the son of the guy running Columbia Pictures. He can be seen as the one that sided with the band to let them do their own thing...and providing the "clout" to have gotten rid of Don Kirschner (using studio groups to produce the first two albums).
Least of all: Rafelson and Schneider funded Peter Fonda to make EASY RIDER(!). So, again, the Monkees were NOT *all* a "shrewd, money-making gimmick". There WAS an edginess there; to show the New Wave on primetime tv.

The Monkees were not shown in my area back in the Summer of 1976 (when Dolenz, Jones, Boyce & Hart toured). Neither did WNEM 5, WJRT 12 or WEYI 25 (Saginaw & Flint, MI) had no interest of showing the reruns. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Second-generation fan of the show. I like a fair number of the songs. For me, it doesn't matter whether or not we're talking about a real band or a TV show about a fictitious band that never really made the big time. The music's great, the TV show's great. That's it.

Back
Top Bottom