Harriet - (Singer with echoes of Karen Carpenter)*

I really enjoyed listening to Harriet's appearance on BBC Radio Bristol. She sang "What's Mine Is Yours" live in the studio, and she talked about the new album, and about always being compared to Karen.

Here's the link to the program for those who'd like to listen:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p046wc46

Harriet's interview starts at 1 hour, 41 minutes.

Well it is out today. New debut album on Itunes. Very nice. I have the CD coming in a few weeks. The orchestra really enhanced some of the songs. There were a few additions and tweaking of vocals but overall the same as previous releases. Three or four new songs are really nice. Great first album from my standpoint. Harriet was on BBC World earlier today and she tweeted that she was awed by a possible 100 million audience. She certainly needs the exposure. Hope everyone considers getting the album. Good buy!

My CD shipped yesterday from the UK, and will take 2-3 weeks to get here. I can hardly wait! Well, actually I couldn't wait, so I listened to the whole album on Spotify. :D I agree with Gary, the orchestra does enhance the songs, and the new songs are really nice.

I really hope that the album does well commercially, and properly launches Harriet's career. A voice like hers deserves to be heard by a wider audience! :love:

Heard a report that her Album launch show last night in London featured two ballads that had grown men in tears, one was 'Empty shoes' which is on the album, the other was ' Desperado' , we all know that one.

Hi friends, if somebody have " In this Love with You" or other songs removed from Soundcloud, could you share it for me, please? I've juts ordered both album and EP from Amamzon and official site...Иге it's not enough :)

I do not have the song tantrist is asking for, and yes, I noticed a while back that Harriet and/or her management took down a number of songs from Soundcloud and You Tube prior to the album release. Surprisingly today, all the songs from her album were added to her YouTube site, individually, not in a playlist, but all are there. This seems curious to me, considering the album is out for sale, but maybe it is some kind of marketing ploy. I guess I am getting too old to know how it works these days. In any case, if you want to hear the album and do not want to purchase it, it is currently on her YouTube site.

Yesterday I received my copy of Harriet's new CD! I am certainly chasing the "afterglow" of this great musical compilation of songs. I am also enjoying the few songs that are new to me. I like the packaging, cover photo, etc. Yet... I notice it's not doing well on www.amazon.co.uk, and it's not listed in the current Billboard Top 200 albums in the United Kingdom. I thought Harriet was generating much buzz and that she had done much to promote this endeavour. I don't understand the evident disconnect. Is it possible that it's too early for this release to chart? Does anyone have any further information on the status of sales and reception of this release? Thanks.

I received Harriet's debut CD today from the UK, I was here when the mailman arrived and when I saw the package I thought for a moment I was having deja view, the package was dented on the corner really bad. If you remember I had something similar when I ordered one of her other CD's and when I saw the package I almost didn't accept it but since I'm so nice I said to the mailman I'm going to hope against hope that the CD inside is not damaged.

Well, I think Harriet must have guided this on it's journey to the US because I'm happy to report the the CD and cardboard digipak is perfect and untouched. I've been listening to the CD all day and I'm really impressed although some of these I've heard before I opened this as if I've never heard these songs before and with the full orchestration of Royal Philharmonic makes songs heard before seem new again. It really adds that special touch.

The CD digipak is impressive I like how it's designed and a full insert of lyrics and how cool to see a special message behind the insert booklet. I was a bit afraid that the album might be ballad heavy however I noticed right away after listening through the first time that the songs are spaced perfectly with ballads and upbeat tracks placed in the right spots. I was really impressed with "Whoever You Are" I had not heard this before and it's a great upbeat bright toe tapping track that is wonderful!! I could hear Karen recording something like this on her solo album with Phil.

If your a Carpenters fan...I can't see how you would not like this album, it's very much in the vain of the Carpenters music. I know it's been said before but I do hear Karen in Harriet's music. It's refreshing and I'm hooked.

...If your a Carpenters fan...I can't see how you would not like this album, it's very much in the vain of the Carpenters music. I know it's been said before but I do hear Karen in Harriet's music. It's refreshing and I'm hooked.

Rick, great to read your impressions of Harriet's CD, which includes evident excitement on your part! After reading your comments, I must apologize if I came across as a "Debbie Downer" in the comment preceding yours. I am just shocked that sales figures could be low (or slow). Of course, I don't demand that the world agree with me and my musical tastes... :)

Yet I am thrilled with this Harriet's new CD! I agree with Rick that "Whoever You Are" is a great song. So far, my favorite from the new music has to be "Unlove You." As Rick states, the juxtaposition of ballads with up-tempo tunes works well. As, Rick, other Harriet fans, and I have said (in this thread), Harriet's voice is quite reminiscent of Karen's, sometimes shockingly so. And the music itself is quite similar to Carpenters' output. There is much to enjoy here...

Did anyone notice Harriet released a new version of Maybe This Christmas as a new single? I downloaded it from iTunes and compared it to the original and can't tell if she re recorded it or just added new instrumentals. I'm leaning towards the latter. This new version adds much more of a Christmasy feeling with new parts being added in different spots in the song. I like it.

Hi Rick. I just assumed that Harriet and her producer took the opportunity with the Royal Philharmonic to add some instrumentals to Maybe This Christmas. Very nice.

Did anyone get the Winter Celebration Limited Edition collection for $60.00, I was going to get one but they sold out. It's a bit hard to obtain this stuff when there are only 16 made. :confused: The demo CD sounds interesting.

Did anyone get the Winter Celebration Limited Edition collection for $60.00, I was going to get one but they sold out. It's a bit hard to obtain this stuff when there are only 16 made. :confused: The demo CD sounds interesting.
I missed it too. I saw mention of it on her Twitter a couple of days ago, but she didn't say what time it would go on sale. By the time I got home this afternoon, the sale had already come and gone. I'm not upset though, as this meant I now had the money free to order the Carpenters Christmas DVD from PBS. I don't think I could have afforded both right now.

I also noticed that Harriet is selling autographed CDs of her debut album in her web store. A little late for all of us who bought the CD when it was first released!

I've been listening to her album today. Just beautiful. I'm glad she's staying with the 70's-esque style. Truly suits her voice.

I have noticed that, as a Carpenters fan, I mentally add some waaa-aaahs and ooooo-oohhhhhs in places I imagine they would be if they were Carpenters' songs. :wink:

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

Thanks a lot to all of you as I became aware of Harriet by this thread. I do really love Karen Carpenter's voice and do also love Harriet, now.
Unfortunately I did not find any opportunity to get her 'Winter Stories' CD. The physical disc is not available anymore in her shop and all the download links to Amazon or iTunes are also dead. Is there anybody who wants to sale his CD or can offer a digital copy to me? I'd love to hear all these wonderful songs sung by Harriet.

Best regards,
Daniel

I'd help you out but I seem to have missed that Christmas album as well.

On Thursday I received my autographed copy of Harriet's debut album that I ordered from her official website. I finally got a chance to play it today and it is fantastic! I thoroughly enjoyed the entire disc. She has an incredible voice! I like that there is a great mix of styles of songs on the album.

Love the voice (how could I not?), but Richard was able to match a great songstress with great songs creating timeless music. As of yet, I can't find a single recording by Harriet that qualifies as a classic. At least not yet.

Well, Harriet has released "Whoever You Are" as a single (and I hear reworked from the album) and also released as a "B" side (showing my age) a new one, cover of "Beauty and the Beast." She has put that one on YouTube.

Well, Harriet has released "Whoever You Are" as a single (and I hear reworked from the album) and also released as a "B" side (showing my age) a new one, cover of "Beauty and the Beast." She has put that one on YouTube.

I think she gets better and better in her tone and timbre.

If anyone here is able to see her live on her UK tour beginning Feb 15th, please post feedback. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom