Similarities Between The "South of the Border and "What Now my Love Albums

Bobberman

I am not sure Whether This might have been covered in previous posts in some way but over the years i noticed several coincidental similarities between Herb's South of The Border and What now my love albums
1. The Front covers with Herb with trumpet and a woman by his side and Herb wearing a burnt orange jacket and a few mariachi's in the background with musical instruments on hand.
2.Several differences in terms of the mixes used on the Various Vinyl and CD issues over the years. Such as WNML Wet and Dry Mixes. And SOTB and its similar differences in mixes and both being used for Stereo &Mono releases in various places.
So far These two are the main examples of similarities i see and perhaps there may be a few more subtile similarites that i may not be aware of. Nevertheless I thought It Would be Fun to Discuss this in more detail. And Now... Let The Discussion Begin.

Both feature multiple Sol Lake tunes, each has an Ervan Coleman tune, and a Julius Wechter tune.

As I understand it, the cover photos are from the same photo shoot, and I believe that was Jerry Moss's wife.

W.N.M.L., in my opinion, is TOTALLY *different*...(obviously) the "real" band and, Herb's just overall "progression"; having had TWO nationally-hit-making-albums in the intermediate 2 years...making him -by then- a serious commodity in show business.

Im also aware of the obvious differences as well such as the musicians who played on them and the arrangements too but my purpose of this thread was to point out the similarities which are obvious. And not so obvious. But i think this is one of the many Joys of listening and collecting Herb's recordings. It seems every artist has this similar situation ( yes The Beatles come to mind.)

Other than the cover art being from the same shoot, any other similarities are not remarkable. The biggest difference in my mind is the South Of The Border wall of sound, as evidenced by Larry Levine engineering for the 1st time. Crank up the volume on the title track, lean back and really enjoy! WNML is a totally different animal.

Other than the cover art being from the same shoot, any other similarities are not remarkable. The biggest difference in my mind is the South Of The Border wall of sound, as evidenced by Larry Levine engineering for the 1st time. Crank up the volume on the title track, lean back and really enjoy! WNML is a totally different animal.
Gotta Love That "Wall of Sound" Larry Levine Was a Genius and another side similarity He Engineered Both Albums. But yes you are correct these are two different Albums with a few similarities. And Several Differences and "Both are to be Fully Enjoyed and Appreciated!"

Still wonder why no *stereo* mix of MEXICAN SHUFFLE, though(?) :neutral:
I always wondered about that myself. My thought is this. it might not have originally been intended to be an album track as it was originally used in the teaberry gum ads. And by the time they realized it worked in the commercials the original multitrack master was most likely already discarded. Again. This just my thought.

The problem with that theory is that the mix of the song on the TV commercial was quite different from the one on SOUTH OF THE BORDER, featuring a lot more marimba:

I remember now about the abundance of marimba. On the commercial its possible they didnt make a stereo version Period for reasons unknown to us. it looks like another one of the Big Tjb unsolved mysteries IMO

I remember now about the abundance of marimba. On the commercial its possible they didnt make a stereo version Period for reasons unknown to us. it looks like another one of the Big Tjb unsolved mysteries IMO

• If you listen closely, you'll hear flute playing with marimba (a la Julius & Bernie BMB style), as well as Herb's horns.
  • At the time, there was neither stereo radio nor stereo TV - a mono track would suffice.
  • Teaberry Shuffle 30 sec./60 sec. were different, obviously due to what needed to fit in.
  • Clark had a 7 inch promo with 4 different arrangements, but none of them were Herb.

• If you listen closely, you'll hear flute playing with marimba (a la Julius & Bernie BMB style), as well as Herb's horns.
  • At the time, there was neither stereo radio nor stereo TV - a mono track would suffice.
  • Teaberry Shuffle 30 sec./60 sec. were different, obviously due to what needed to fit in.
  • Clark had a 7 inch promo with 4 different arrangements, but none of them were Herb.
GOT IT ! and the Flute/ Marimba combination being the BMB trademark sound must have no doubt Helped in The Launch of The BMB In that same year

Back
Top Bottom