Heard Carpenters

I was on put on hold when I called IT support at work yesterday. One of the songs that was playing on the phone while I waited was Rainy Days and Mondays. I kept thinking, "Please don't come back until the song is finished!" Thankfully, the song ended before the support person came back. Hearing that song really made my day! :)

It's the most wonderful time of the year, getting to hear the Carpenters regularly on the radio, at least for a few weeks. Years ago, it was Merry Christmas Darling, The Christmas Song, I'll Be Home for Christmas, and Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas....and then in recent years Home for the Holidays, Sleigh Ride, Winter Wonderland/Silver Bells/White Christmas and Do You Hear What I Hear started popping-up....but this is the first year I've heard Santa Claus is Coming to Town over radio waves since the 70's. Sirius XM's Holly station has been playing it, and we have two all-Christmas stations in our region that are both playing it as well. Anyone else noticed this? Karen's vocal, the overdubs, the sultry-jazzy feel, the sax solo....definitely making the holiday season brighter. One of the all-Christmas stations is also playing Christ is Born regularly....first time I've EVER hear that on the radio, and what a blessing that is as well. Merry Christmas to us all.
:santawave:

I've been surprised before, and was again last evening, when the all-Christmas station played "Carol Of The Bells" by Carpenters. As you all know, this is an instrumental version of the song with Richard's wizardry on the piano on display, and Karen nowhere in sight. I love the track but find it an odd choice for a Christmas radio station to pick.

Merry Christmas, Darling, Have Youself a Merry Little Christmas, Home for the Holidays, Sleigh Ride, & Carol of the Bells are the Carpenters songs I hear on local radio (Detroit). Whats interesting is that both local stations play the 1970, not 1978, version of Merry Christmas, Darling (one of the stations has it in heavy rotation, the other not so much, can you guess which one I listen to LOL), and when Sirius XM was free a few weeks ago, I noticed Ch 17 played the 1970 version as well. Since when did 1970 overtake 1978? I remember when 1970 was "rare" and now thats the one I always hear on the local radio. Of course, I play both versions on a very heavy rotation in my Christmas playlists!

It's interesting to note, because the Christmas music station I get better reception of on my radio plays the 1978 version. Maybe when I go to New York for the holidays, the local stations there will play the 1970 version (and they usually do) -- I prefer it slightly. Either way, I love the song and I love this time of year because I get the surprise of hearing Karen and Richard on the radio.

Heard "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" by Carpenters at a restaurant. One song later and it was Herb's "My Favorite Things."

Paul O'Grady is at Battersea Dogs Home with Henry the Shih Tzu who has a lower jaw overbite problem, and who should turn up but the Duchess of Cornwall. During their encounter, Close To You, was played in the background. But that wasn't enough to persuade the Duchess of Cornwall to take Henry home with her.

I've been surprised before, and was again last evening, when the all-Christmas station played "Carol Of The Bells" by Carpenters. As you all know, this is an instrumental version of the song with Richard's wizardry on the piano on display, and Karen nowhere in sight. I love the track but find it an odd choice for a Christmas radio station to pick.
I remember years ago hearing the Carpenters medley of Rudolph/Frosty/Wencelesas/Here Comes Santa Claus on the radio in Walmart. Of course that was when they played Christmas music non-stop in December, instead nowadays where you are lucky enough to hear one Christmas song between 3 or 4 non-seasonal songs.

Hello, everyone. This is my first post, and first of all, I say hello to all of you Carpenters fans.

Today, I heard the second half of ''We've Only Just Begun'' while in my room; the sound was coming from the living room's TV. I went there and my dad was there watching VH1's Flashback Fridays. So I asked him if a music video of that Carpenters song was played, and he said yes. Quite a surprise to hear them over here (the north of Mexico); too bad I missed it.

Hello, everyone. This is my first post, and first of all, I say hello to all of you Carpenters fans.

Today, I heard the second half of ''We've Only Just Begun'' while in my room; the sound was coming from the living room's TV. I went there and my dad was there watching VH1's Flashback Fridays. So I asked him if a music video of that Carpenters song was played, and he said yes. Quite a surprise to hear them over here (the north of Mexico); too bad I missed it.
Welcome to the forums. :)

Picture it: Warm Central Florida, dining al fresco at Coney Island (hot dog) Restaurant late this morning. Already ecstatic that 1970s music is playing, I mention to the counter employee that I am enjoying the music, which is "music from my era." And then I hear, "When I was young, I listened to the radio...," and "Yesterday Once More" plays in its entirety and nirvana ensues... Friday the 13th was never so sweet. "It made me smile...." :)

I live up in the Sierra foothills and they have a little listener-supported radio station with all volunteer disc jockeys and commentators. On Wednesdays, a fellow by the name of Pat Leeds has his Rockin' 50s, 60s & 70s(?) Show. Every week, I make a Carpenters request and he usually grants my wish. This station is infested with "old hippies" who probably hate The Carpenters but they do have a few selections in their inventory. He will always call me out on air and say something like "this is for Tom in Garden Valley, Karen Carpenter singing just for you". He is currently recouping from an injury and not doing the show. Hope he gets well soon. The station is 95.1 FM in Georgetown CA

Carpenters BBC 1971ish concert performance of Help on BBC 4's '...Sings the Beatles' just now. Widescreen too. A repeat but a happy flicking through the channels coincidence. Best cover by a mile, though Petula Clark's 1920'sesque Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart Club Band was vaguely amusing.

Close to You at the Home Depot in Apple Valley, California, today. I took it a sign to spend the $1,500 on a new washer/dryer combo.

I heard "Superstar" as I got into the car last night and "Close to You" as I got into the car this morning courtesy of a local AM oldies station.

Jambalaya played on BBC Radio 2 Country during a documentary presented by Mark Radcliffe about Hank Williams.

Back
Top Bottom