2017 Next Herb Re-Issues

01 herb_alpert_hugh.jpg 03 Blow Your Own Horn.jpg 02 Bullish.jpg

February 24th is the release date for: HERB ALPERT/HUGH MASEKELA, BLOW YOUR OWN HORN and BULLISH. Happy New Year! :wink:

Will you ever consider a CD reissue of "Just You and Me"??? A adore this album and am hoping it will be considered.
01 herb_alpert_hugh.jpg 03 Blow Your Own Horn.jpg 02 Bullish.jpg

February 24th is the release date for: HERB ALPERT/HUGH MASEKELA, BLOW YOUR OWN HORN and BULLISH. Happy New Year! :wink:

Will they ever consider a CD reissue of "Just You and Me"? I love this album so much. I'm hoping it will be considered. All the vinyl I've found is of poor quality. Thank you so much for your consideration.

Will they ever consider a CD reissue of "Just You and Me"? I love this album so much. I'm hoping it will be considered. All the vinyl I've found is of poor quality. Thank you so much for your consideration.

The word is that it is highly unlikely that Just You And Me will get reissued.

I
Seems that it would be easy for HAP to release JYAM at least for download. I mean, how much investment would it take to provide that?
TRUE while i agree with you the majority of all the news we all have heard so far is as Captain has stated its not very likely and unless we hear from Randy Badazz otherwise. we only can assume for now that we should not Hold our Breath so to speak. Then again I and Others may be Proven wrong. For now the best one can do is Keep searching for decent condition vinyl copy of JYAM and make your own Digital copy like i did there is at least one place you can buy the LP And for an extra charge thry will make a CD Needledrop of it. Even though its a bit pricey but in such cases like this It Is Very well worth it. Keep in mind that JYAM didnt get Good Reviews upon its release and it did not hardly sell at all and given the circumstances under which it recorded. Herb's Father's passing that year. And the overall mood of the songs etc.

Last edited:
From what I've heard from the "home office," there are no plans for vinyl beyond what has already been released.

That's really a shame. Long time fans like myself have multiple copies of his pre 80's albums although I'm still glad to see them released again. Why not make the newer stuff available in a format which is the only growing format from a sales perspective? I loved the vinyl edition of Come Fly With Me. It looked beautiful and sounded great (even though I really missed the vintage A&M label of course). Hopefully they will reconsider this at some point. Thanks for the info though.

I wouldn't mind more releases on vinyl myself to be honest, but I understand that among other things, production issues are a bit of a problem, especially due to the long lead times needed since pressing plants are booked to capacity for many months into the future. Just as a few examples, I know QRP purchased and is refurbishing some presses they purchased I think in 2015, and Third Man Records (the label owned by Jack White) is going to be operating some presses locally as well, beginning this month in fact. There is also a pressing plant in Virginia or thereabouts that is either going online soon, or adding more capacity (can't recall which).

You would know better than I if this is an issue but with the hundreds of new and reissue titles released every month on vinyl it would seem that if there is a will, there is a way. I will keep hoping. The Midnight
Sun album is a natural for vinyl.

The logistics of quality vinyl release are difficult as Rudy indicated above. There certainly has to be sufficient demand for a title/format, especially 180 g vinyl selling for about $22-24. While we all hope that our favorite titles will be re-issued, some are just not financially viable without that demand.

Fandango is one I would get on 180g vinyl if it came out. Although the original A&M sounds really good as-is. I still have a couple of titles to find sealed copies of (been burned too many times lately by used vinyl that was too worn), but I was lucky to get Bullish, Beyond and maybe one or two others sealed in recent years that played back nicely. I only replaced Beyond since it had a bit of wear (due to the cheaper equipment I had at the time, and the number of times I played it).

While we all hope that our favorite titles will be re-issued, some are just not financially viable without that demand.
And the one thing there, too, is that beyond collectors or diehard fans, they have to look at how many buyers in the general record buying public would buy some of these records. Many of us here would buy vinyl copies of these records of course, but what about the average person browsing through the bins at Barnes & Noble? CD manufacturing has gotten cheap, and with supply and demand shifting due to a drop in CD sales, getting them made is not a big deal.

The audiophile labels of course can license and release recordings but they, too, have to look at how well they sell. I picked up a few titles at AXPONA last year that were deeply discounted because they just were not selling. Sinatra sells; Dean Martin, not so much.

Even the CDs surprised me here, though--I doubt a title like Summertime is ever going to sell to anyone beside the hardcore fans. This is where downloads make a lot more sense for the artist (and their label): there are production (engineering) costs to remaster them, but beyond that there is no manufacturing, distribution/stocking, etc. involved.

As I mentioned, sure--I'd buy more vinyl titles from this series. :D Especially since they are analog-cut from the masters at Casa Bernie. But having the high-res downloads is a nice consolation prize at any rate. :wink:

I also would buy the vinyl of Fandango. It's a terrific album. Beyond is one of the titles that I never had back in the day. Was listening to the hi-res the other day while working on the computer and played it through several times. Very enjoyable.

All pre-ordered here though I do own the original Herb/Hugh CD release, which, as I said before, was my introduction to Mr Masekela, for which I am grateful to this day.
Actually, I have all three of these in their original respective CD release, as well as on cassette. Not sure about vinyl, however. Doubting I have these on vinyl.

Actually, I have all three of these in their original respective CD release, as well as on cassette. Not sure about vinyl, however. Doubting I have these on vinyl.
I Have them on vinyl and CDR needledrops for each of them however i wasnt able to get the original CD versions ( i didnt know they were on CD until long after they were out of print. I remember trying to special order BYOH on cd back 89 the store had a notorious reputation for special ordering ( the owner did for his friends and high profile citizens of the town but ignored everyone else including me) after 6 months it was not available according to him. This was a common game some stores played thankfully nowadays im dealing with more reliable buisinesses. And This time around i am not dealing with the old boy network. So to speak.

That's pretty dumb to only do special orders for people you "like." I've been out of the biz for a couple years now, but there are still some older people in town who like to buy CDs and they have me order for them. I shop around online for the best price and we still make a bit of money on what we do sell. Every sale counts!

That's pretty dumb to only do special orders for people you "like." I've been out of the biz for a couple years now, but there are still some older people in town who like to buy CDs and they have me order for them. I shop around online for the best price and we still make a bit of money on what we do sell. Every sale counts!
I Agree with you Mike i only wish there were more Mom & Pop type music stores like yours was.it would have made my shopping much more easier.. on an another note i got my CD of Wild Romance today and it was exactly as advertised like new condition and under $30 the sound is superior to my vintage record club vinyl version i bought in 1985 which Has not been played since i did needledrop Discs for it well over a decade ago. Now with the 3 upcoming reissues which i have preordered ( with the exception of JYAM of course) my Herb Alpert CD collection is pretty Complete at least i made several needledrop copies of my JYAM just in case.so the album itself permanently secure in my collection.

Us "big city" types also have problems buying new recordings. The big chain stores won't carry anything unless it is a big seller. The smaller stores might stock them, but they often elevate the price far higher than I would ever pay (list price or higher). Before they blame online retailers for taking away their business, they should look at their own practices first, and offer something of value if they are going to charge so much. One of my favorite independents was a major used record seller on top of selling new products, and they often had deals on a couple of top releases each week. In the days of $8.98 list LPs, they were selling the specials for $4.95. Few who bought those crazy specials ever walked out with just the one item. In the early days of CDs, the price was always $14.99, even many of the imports. The chains at the time were hitting customers for $19.99 for even the most common titles. Harmony House wasn't the cheapest either, but aside from a few minor specials, they would run a big yearly sale in June where the entire store was (I think) 20% off. I can only think of one independent locally that runs sales today. And not surprisingly, they are one of the few doing really well.

Back
Top Bottom