"Perfect" Song for Karen to Sing

Mark-T

I just heard- and purchased the song "Perfect" by Ed Sheeran. Just a beautiful song with a lovely lyric. This was the kind of song they should have been recording in the 80s. Reminds me of Van Morrison a bit. Give it a listen.

Thanks for the post. I will check that one out. Let me put in my 2 cents...There is a clip on the TV show Make Your Own Kind Of Music (summer 1971) on YouTube that has the duo singing a Medley. It is Richard at the grand piano and Karen standing next to it with a mike. It was obviously a "live" segment. Karen's rendition of "A House Is Not A Home" brought tears to my eyes. Even though Dionne Warwick made it a hit, I would still have loved to have had The Carpenters record it and release it as a single...

I gotta say I'm loving this Ed Sheeran song. It sort of tells the story of me and my wife all those years ago. So, sweet.

While reading this post, listening to Stuck On You - Lionel Richie... That's a Carpenters song if I ever heard it.

I can hear the harmonies, Karen's lingering on the last syllables of the last words in the chorus... and that touch of country in the arrangement.

Ahhhhhhhh - - - - so many tunes.....

There is a clip on the TV show Make Your Own Kind Of Music (summer 1971) on YouTube that has the duo singing a Medley. It is Richard at the grand piano and Karen standing next to it with a mike. It was obviously a "live" segment. Karen's rendition of "A House Is Not A Home" brought tears to my eyes. Even though Dionne Warwick made it a hit, I would still have loved to have had The Carpenters record it and release it as a single...

100% agree there, I think they missed a trick not recording that song as a full album track.

I totally agree... That and Collage's All Time High from the James Bond flick...
I always thought that the song Someday from Offering/Ticket To Ride had the feel of a James Bond movie intro. I agree, All Time High, Karen could've completely pulled that off!

Last edited:
For the last few days, I have been "obsessing" with Karen's version of Any Day Now from The Carpenters early concert footage (namely, the 1972 Australia and Japan concerts). This was included in their "Bacharach Medley" segments. The song is just so melodic and Karen sings it so well, I wish they would've recorded it separately. So much talent, so little time...

For the last few days, I have been "obsessing" with Karen's version of Any Day Now from The Carpenters early concert footage (namely, the 1972 Australia and Japan concerts). This was included in their "Bacharach Medley" segments. The song is just so melodic and Karen sings it so well, I wish they would've recorded it separately. So much talent, so little time...

This song definitely escaped them. They should have included it on one of the albums between 1970 and 1973.

The harmonies on the line "I shouldn't want to keep you/If you don't want to stay"...just amazing.

Full length, studio album versions of both "Any Day Now" and "Make It Easy on Yourself" would have been gorgeous. Also, after hearing Patsy Cline's "I Fall to Pieces" on a classic country station recently, have been thinking how well-suited that would have been to Karen's voice -- really dipping into her lower register on the opening notes similar to "Only Yesterday". Wonder if they ever considered that one for anything.

Full length, studio album versions of both "Any Day Now" and "Make It Easy on Yourself" would have been gorgeous. Also, after hearing Patsy Cline's "I Fall to Pieces" on a classic country station recently, have been thinking how well-suited that would have been to Karen's voice -- really dipping into her lower register on the opening notes similar to "Only Yesterday". Wonder if they ever considered that one for anything.
Love Patsy Cline! She had a beautiful contralto voice just like Karen. The possibilities in songs that Karen could've successfully covered seems to be limitless. A big part of the problem IMHO was the fact that they were on the road so much (their touring schedule was insane during their "peak" years) and had little time left over to be in the studio. How much better would their recorded output have been if they reduced their touring by even 25%? A new studio album in 1974 perhaps? Better quality albums/singles during the latter part of the decade? Less stressed and happier/healthier performers? Tragic that both Patsy & Karen had so much more to give the world with their God-given talent.

This song definitely escaped them. They should have included it on one of the albums between 1970 and 1973.

The harmonies on the line "I shouldn't want to keep you/If you don't want to stay"...just amazing.
The song just flows so well! I love Ronnie Milsap's version of it and it was a big hit for him. I think Karen could have really nailed it! But, I think that on literally hundreds of songs...

Love Patsy Cline! She had a beautiful contralto voice just like Karen. The possibilities in songs that Karen could've successfully covered seems to be limitless. A big part of the problem IMHO was the fact that they were on the road so much (their touring schedule was insane during their "peak" years) and had little time left over to be in the studio. How much better would their recorded output have been if they reduced their touring by even 25%? A new studio album in 1974 perhaps? Better quality albums/singles during the latter part of the decade? Less stressed and happier/healthier performers? Tragic that both Patsy & Karen had so much more to give the world with their God-given talent.
I can so imagine Karen singing Crazy!

Back
Top Bottom