The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

I've done needledrops on a couple of 70's Pablo LPs. The first is the debut album of trumpeter Jon Faddis called Youngblood, a straight bebop album:
JON_FADDIS_YOUNGBLOOD-622304.jpg

Then I did a Benny Carter album from the Pablo series "Montreux '77". Carter usually plays just alto, but on this LP he plays a gorgeous trumpet solo on "Body And Soul".
R-2689620-1296675929.jpeg.jpg

Last edited:
Herbie Mann - Discotheque
Originally released on Atlantic records I bought a Japanese CD reissue.
Great music to play while cleaning the house.
1. Hi-Jack
2. Pick up the pieces
3. Lady Marmalade
4. Mediterranean
5. I can't turn you loose
6. I won't last a day with out you
7. Hi above the andes
8. Bird of beauty
9. Guava Jelly

Being very under the weather, I haven't had the energy or patience to do much but stick on a Pandora channel the past few days. I've been tuning a newer 70s soul/funk station, and it's coming along nicely. In no particular order, I'm seeding it with Bill Withers, The Spinners, Stylistics, Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes, and a few others, with thumbs up to others that fit the same mood. I hate having to give a thumbs down to a lot of favorites (including many Stevie Wonder songs), but they just don't fit.

Was listening to a tribute to Hall & Oates today and they were playing artists that influenced H&O. Lots of Philly soul.

Was listening to a tribute to Hall & Oates today and they were playing artists that influenced H&O. Lots of Philly soul.
I could get into that. :agree: In fact, one album I really like is Daryl Hall's Soul Alone which is very much a soul album. Modern soul, yes, but you can hear the Philly influence in there. I would probably slot it right after my favorite, Private Eyes, in their combined catalog.

I can't recall if I mentioned this, but it is recommended if you like the original Breakfast at Tiffany's soundtrack album by Henry Mancini.

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S

upload_2017-3-26_19-8-2.png

How is this Intrada release different? This is the actual music used in the film. All of the different versions of the songs, the musical cues, etc. is all here.

A little background--while Mancini was signed with RCA, his contract called for two or three albums per year. When he composed a film soundtrack, it actually involved two bodies of work--the music used in the actual film, along with the album based on music from the film, which required different arrangements of those same songs or musical cues. So, in effect that is like making two albums out of one set of tunes.

The soundtrack music was recorded on Paramount's music scoring stage. One thing I notice is that the performances aren't as razor sharp as they are on the RCA album, and the solos could be a little more tentative. But given that the music is used as a bed behind the on-screen action in the film, this would never be noticed. Nonetheless, there are some great moments here.

Favorite song title is still "Hub Caps and Tail Lights." :D (Knowing where it's used in the film, it makes perfect sense. :wink: "Do you think she's handsomely paid?" )

upload_2017-3-26_19-18-35.png

Just bought Daryl Hall "Three Hearts In The Happy Ending Machine" (1986) & "Soul Alone" (1993). Both of the reissued CD's do NOT have lyrics or photos though. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I was just saying I don't listen to this one often. Or maybe, not often enough. Long out of print. Still a favorite.

upload_2017-3-29_20-26-59.png

Except for two tracks with special guest Kenny G (oh he's "special" alright :laugh: ), this one is always a great one to relax by.

The lead-off track:

Forgot to mention that one of my pre-dinner highlights yesterday was the Dance Moderno album by Sergio Mendes, his debut album back in 1961. Just thinking at the time that he has been in the business an incredible 56 years! I have come to consider Mendes' more jazz-oriented or Bossa Nova early recordings to be my favorites, including the excellent Brasil '65 album on Capitol.

Much of Dance Moderno has a similar vibe to this track.

Good luck finding one now, as the sites are now littered with those unofficial releases, all with terrible artwork, and some stupidly adding "Mas Que Nada" as a bonus track, which totally doesn't fit with the album. This recording was originally released on Philips, so if you seek out a copy, it should be on that label, or a similar label in the Polygram/Universal family.

I recently purchased a brand new Samsung Galaxy tablet A and not only is it a major step up from my 6 year old generic brand which was only 4 GB Total this one has 16 GB and expandable up to 64 GB which means I was able to copy my laptop computer playlist of 11.000 plus songs onto the 64 GB SD card and put it in my new tablet's dedicated offline audio player so for the last several weeks I've been not only listening to my custom playlist but I was able to add a few new songs to the mix and the playlist only takes up 35GB of space so there's a little room to spare. Nonetheless some of the music I've been playing from the playlist are standouts I ripped from my Starborne Limited Edition cds which are rare easy listening instrumentals and for the non cd downloads I've been playing my favorites from the Surrey House Radio recordings collection. Which are the same kind of music as Starborne but different artists and they go great with all my other various Cds I still have. After many years. I feel like a radio programmer with these wonderful gadgets and gizmos.

I was just saying I don't listen to this one often. Or maybe, not often enough. Long out of print. Still a favorite.

upload_2017-3-29_20-26-59.png

Except for two tracks with special guest Kenny G (oh he's "special" alright :laugh: ), this one is always a great one to relax by.

The lead-off track:

I have this one too Dudley Moore was a true talent in every way he was hilarious in the movies and he was an excellent musician it's kind of sad he didn't make very many albums this is the only one I know of so far.

There were some other Dudley Moore albums, but it is sometimes difficult to tell if it is one of his comedy albums from the early days, or one of his music albums. That is probably why I haven't tried to seek out more, as of yet.

This is another on I sometimes spin in tandem with Dudley's record:

upload_2017-4-2_20-13-7.png

It is also solo piano, and more similar than you'd think. I really hear a lot of Debussy influence in her playing (and I hear Satie and Debussy in Dudley's).

New arrival--the 45 RPM Analogue Productions pressing of this classic:

upload_2017-4-3_22-45-1.png

The clarity of this version, like the similar Peter Gunn pressing I picked up last year, is incredible. Kevin Gray's pressing from a few years ago for Sony (which was released on black vinyl, and a limited/numbered edition pink vinyl) is still quite good (and more affordable), but this one surpasses it. Very interesting to hear something I've heard literally my entire life in a new light. The only record from this three-release series I did not pick up was the soundtrack to Hatari!, as it is not quite a favorite. I am hoping AP does some more of these in the coming year. I would love to see Breakfast at Tiffany's given the 45 RPM treatment--it is one of the great-sounding Living Stereo era LSPs in the catalog.

New arrival--the 45 RPM Analogue Productions pressing of this classic:

upload_2017-4-3_22-45-1.png

The clarity of this version, like the similar Peter Gunn pressing I picked up last year, is incredible. Kevin Gray's pressing from a few years ago for Sony (which was released on black vinyl, and a limited/numbered edition pink vinyl) is still quite good (and more affordable), but this one surpasses it. Very interesting to hear something I've heard literally my entire life in a new light. The only record from this three-release series I did not pick up was the soundtrack to Hatari!, as it is not quite a favorite. I am hoping AP does some more of these in the coming year. I would love to see Breakfast at Tiffany's given the 45 RPM treatment--it is one of the great-sounding Living Stereo era LSPs in the catalog.

Wow that is amazing I still have my 2000 Buddha cd reissue of this mancini gem the pink panther as well as Breakfast at tiffanys and Mr Lucky are my favorite soundtracks by the Great HENRY MANCINI I'm glad I was able to at least obtain his music in some form getting these on CD was Not Easy at all

Last edited:
There were a handful of popular Mancini titles out there (Tiffany's, Pink Panther, Peter Gunn, Charade, Hatari!, Mr. Lucky, etc.) that made the rounds frequently, but the obscurities have been the hardest to track down. Fresh Sound (aka BMG/Spain) released many of those older RCA albums of his on CD starting in the mid 90s, but the sound quality suffered--BMG US would not loan out the masters, so they made do with whatever they found in Europe...which often were of poor quality, or even in mono. Still, it was good to get ahold of them to have the music in any format. I've never seen clean vinyl (or any vinyl at all) for The Party, The Great Race, Two For The Road, etc. Oddly, Japan released two-fer SACDs of the albums he made with Doc Severinsen, and the two piano albums (Warm Shade of Ivory/Several Hours Past Sunset, the former having the #1 hit "Love Theme from 'Romeo and Juliet'").

I think I had over 70 different LPs, not counting duplicates. Haven't pulled them all of out of the storage boxes in the basement though. I was complete through the early 70s and from there, it gets sporadic. Some weren't available for very long when new, and they are difficult to find; among those are some really obscure soundtracks. And there were even some films he scored that never had soundtrack albums.

There were a handful of popular Mancini titles out there (Tiffany's, Pink Panther, Peter Gunn, Charade, Hatari!, Mr. Lucky, etc.) that made the rounds frequently, but the obscurities have been the hardest to track down. Fresh Sound (aka BMG/Spain) released many of those older RCA albums of his on CD starting in the mid 90s, but the sound quality suffered--BMG US would not loan out the masters, so they made do with whatever they found in Europe...which often were of poor quality, or even in mono. Still, it was good to get ahold of them to have the music in any format. I've never seen clean vinyl (or any vinyl at all) for The Party, The Great Race, Two For The Road, etc. Oddly, Japan released two-fer SACDs of the albums he made with Doc Severinsen, and the two piano albums (Warm Shade of Ivory/Several Hours Past Sunset, the former having the #1 hit "Love Theme from 'Romeo and Juliet'").

I think I had over 70 different LPs, not counting duplicates. Haven't pulled them all of out of the storage boxes in the basement though. I was complete through the early 70s and from there, it gets sporadic. Some weren't available for very long when new, and they are difficult to find; among those are some really obscure soundtracks. And there were even some films he scored that never had soundtrack albums.
I hear you there I do have a very rare mancini two albums on one cd from UK based Dutton Vocalion label ( which I have many Cd reissues from) "Mancini's angels and "The theme scene from 1977 and 1978 respectively the sound is very good this reissue came out in 2010 this has primarily tv and film themes such as Charlies angels What's Happening and even The 1977 incarnation of The NBC NIGHTLY NEWS THEME which I remember very well and until the CD i was unaware of the existence of these 2 mid 70s Albums. But for me it was a nice surprise and best of all I included them on my huge digital playlist along with my other faves I put together

I remember being in a store and trying to decide if I wanted to get the cassette of Mancini's Angels or The Cop Show Themes, as they were similarly themed. (It was all my budget could handle back then, when they first came out. :D ) I am pretty sure the "angels" on the cover are Mancini's twin daughters, Monica and Felice (I believe he mentions that in his bio).

The first 3 CD's by Calgary, Alberta Canada's The Stampeders "Against The Grain" (known as "Sweet City Woman" on Bell Records), "Carryin' On" & "Rudes, Dudes & Rowdies" (all remastered by the same producer Mel Shaw by MWC "Music World Creations"). The song "Wild Eyes" (from "Carryin' On" does not have the echo which goes "Evil knows I fell, fell, fell" BUT the 45 edited version has & in mono on the "Best Of" 2001 remastered CD). The orchestra version of "Wild Eyes" is on the 1974 "New Day" & redone. Both "Against The Grain" & "Carryin' On" also has lyrics but "Rudes, Dudes & Rowdies" does not. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Forgot to mention that one of my pre-dinner highlights yesterday was the Dance Moderno album by Sergio Mendes, his debut album back in 1961.
I got in a new (used) CD of this yesterday. This one is the 1998 blue-face Philips release from Japan (the OBI strip is still inside the case), and it is better than the borrowed version I had previously, which on closer listen, almost sounds like a needle drop. (It could have been one of the flood of garbage releases from the EU.) This one is so much better.

Longtime favorite. And one of the best jazz vocal albums ever. Marty Paich's outfit swings appropriately as well. :thumbsup:

upload_2017-4-9_7-23-50.png

Hi-res version from HDTracks. Still haven't found a vinyl version of this one yet.

Here is a great little program via Jazz Casual, from 1964. Mel with a simple jazz trio backing him, and some banter about jazz vocalists in general.

Just got Ambrosia (debut & "Somewhere Iv'e Never Travelled" from 1975 & 1976) (2 LP's On 2 CD's 2012 reissue) as well as their final CD from early 1982 (2014 reissue) called "Road Island". Also got the lead singer of Ambrosia, David Pack "The Secret Of Movin' On" (from 2005) & "Napa Crossroads" (from 2013) which is the final project for The Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek as well as other artists. Still waiting for Sarah Slean latest CD "Metaphysics" to come to the mail. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I just acquired a stack of vinyl when my sister-in-law passed. Haven't had time to clean these up and see if they are playable, but I now have "The Lonely Bull," "Volume 2," and "We and the Sea" among others. Haven't had any of these on vinyl before, but I wish I had come by them by a different method. :cry:

Back
Top Bottom