📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit off-topic:
The Dorothy Hamill TV Special, which aired 3/2/77,
had Jerry Weintraub as Executive Producer.
Dorothy Hamill was also a recently-signed artist to Weintraub's management company.
Now, as much as I enjoy Make Me Laugh (primarily because it is a new-found Karen Vocal),
why wasn't a more suitable/memorable Carpenters' song chosen to be performed on the program ?
As with the later concerts, attention focused less on the music and more on the "showman-ship."
Even if, as has been documented, Richard (and Karen) exercised more control over their post -1975
career, the choices being made in the Weintraub-managed era were not necessarily good ones.

i just re-watched their version of "Thank You For The Music". Would their studio version of that have had their overdubbed vocals singing the chorus? That would be a great release. Are there any other songs we know they recorded that could possibly be released with this set? I wasn't alive when songs like "Tryin To Get That Feeling Again" was released and I was just a baby when 'As Time Goes By' was released so did you all know about these songs before they were released or were they just a huge surprise? And are we likely to get any new material on this box set?

I've been hoping for a box set release of all their albums. But, like so many others, I'm hoping for a CD format to be considered. At this stage in my life, I don't relish the thought in upgrading my stereo system to include a turntable. My vinyl collection has long since been replaced with CD, and buying a turntable for one collection doesn't make much sense.

the things I'm looking forwards to is finally having all the studio albums on vinyl and brand new in perfect condition. I'm also looking forwards to seeing the presentation of this set; I hope it comes with a big coloured book

A bit off-topic:
The Dorothy Hamill TV Special, which aired 3/2/77,
had Jerry Weintraub as Executive Producer.
Dorothy Hamill was also a recently-signed artist to Weintraub's management company.
Now, as much as I enjoy Make Me Laugh (primarily because it is a new-found Karen Vocal),
why wasn't a more suitable/memorable Carpenters' song chosen to be performed on the program ?
As with the later concerts, attention focused less on the music and more on the "showman-ship."
Even if, as has been documented, Richard (and Karen) exercised more control over their post -1975
career, the choices being made in the Weintraub-managed era were not necessarily good ones.

As I've mentioned before, "Make Me Laugh" I wasn't really struck on and even now I don't consider it a Christmas song, so why it was included on a Christmas DVD and not Richard's version of "Toyland" from the "Christmas Portrait" TV special is rather curious.

i just re-watched their version of "Thank You For The Music". Would their studio version of that have had their overdubbed vocals singing the chorus? That would be a great release. Are there any other songs we know they recorded that could possibly be released with this set? I wasn't alive when songs like "Tryin To Get That Feeling Again" was released and I was just a baby when 'As Time Goes By' was released so did you all know about these songs before they were released or were they just a huge surprise? And are we likely to get any new material on this box set?

As I mentioned above there are still songs like Richard's "Toyland", and Richard's version of "Home For The Holidays" still in the vaults, not to mention any other song from the various TV specials and the "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" series. Plus, considering that we know that even for other people's specials Karen and Richard rarely sang live-to-tape, as was shown on "As Time Goes By" with the Como-Carpenters Medley that was presented in true stereo on CD but was ultimately mixed for mono (as heard on the Perry Como Christmas Show DVD).

And I was only a kid when "As Time Goes By" came out, but really I was too young to know about "Interpretations", "From The Top", "Lovelines", "Time" and "An Old-Fashioned Christmas" when they first came out.

But with "Time", I wonder if there are any tracks from that album still in the vaults.

Last edited:
As I've mentioned before, "Make Me Laugh" I wasn't really struck on and even now I don't consider it a Christmas song, so why it was included on a Christmas DVD and not Richard's version of "Toyland" from the "Christmas Portrait" TV special is rather curious.

As I mentioned above there are still songs like Richard's "Toyland", and Richard's version of "Home For The Holidays" still in the vaults, not to mention any other song from the various TV specials and the "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" series. Plus, considering that we know that even for other people's specials Karen and Richard rarely sang live-to-tape, as was shown on "As Time Goes By" with the Como-Carpenters Medley that was presented in true stereo on CD but was ultimately mixed for mono (as heard on the Perry Como Christmas Show DVD).

And I was only a kid when "As Time Goes By" came out, but really I was too young to know about "Interpretations", "From The Top", "Lovelines", "Time" and "An Old-Fashioned Christmas" when they first came out.

But with "Time", I wonder if there are any tracks from that album still in the vaults.

from what I remember, MYOKOM only featured new snippets of songs that came to be called the sunshine melody. there probably is not a studio recording of THANK YOU FOR THE MUSIC, like there isn't one for when he smiles.

on other peoples programs or specials, I only remember something vaguely differences in a medley,, like the carol burnet show, the disaster with captain and tennille and ben Vereen or andy williams. on one special, I think, the Hamill, they did perform FROM THIS MOMENT ON, which had only been offered on LIVE AT THE PALLADIUM.

then there's the 'buried Treasures' list. Did they actually record all the songs on that list??? How do we know if we've never heard them ?

it would be something special if he included all the albums along with any outtakes or songs recorded around the same time. For example
-Horizon could include "Tryin To Get That Feeling Again" which was an outtake and "Good Friends Are For Keeps" which was recorded the same year.
-Passage could include "You're The One"
-Made In America could include " The Uninvited Guest" and "Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night"

then there's the 'buried Treasures' list. Did they actually record all the songs on that list??? How do we know if we've never heard them ?

a long time back, there was a rumor that a song ALL OF MY LIFE, could be released. Richard has said that everything that could be released has been released. Karen had commented that " the list " had been leaked by an a&m staffer. Richard explained that any time a song began to be recorded, it went on file; whether the song was completed, abandoned mid-stream or only a working lead. much of the fresh material released since Karen's passing has been from work leads. what is in the vault is Richard's property and if it is not to his level of perfection, it will not be released.

having said that, if there is a surprise, it will surely be held for 50, like TRYING TO GET THE FEELING was held for 25.

I am not for any re-issue to include bonus tracks. I never liked that. It interrupts the original flow of an album. Any bonus songs that deserve release should be issued separately, either on a new compilation or any other type.

I am not for any re-issue to include bonus tracks. I never liked that. It interrupts the original flow of an album. Any bonus songs that deserve release should be issued separately, either on a new compilation or any other type.

The ABBA re-releases were great, just when you thought the album was finished, the bonus tracks started. It was a nice way of "mopping up" tracks recorded during the same sessions but only released as B-sides, non album singles from the same year or which were previously unreleased. They were all at the end of the disc so didn't interrupt the flow at all.

Yes, but they also released a box set containing all their studio albums in their original format, with an additional disc featuring all those bonus tracks, which I much prefer.

The ABBA re-releases were great, just when you thought the album was finished, the bonus tracks started. It was a nice way of "mopping up" tracks recorded during the same sessions but only released as B-sides, non album singles from the same year or which were previously unreleased. They were all at the end of the disc so didn't interrupt the flow at all.

Rhino did that with Monkees' reissues, too. I definitely like that approach. Maintains the sequence of the original LP while giving the unreleased material some context in the bands' history. I wasn't so sure about the "deluxe" reissue of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" putting "Silver Springs" after "Songbird". I get why they did it, and it sort of works given that "Songbird" ended an album side, but it still seems a little out of place when you grew up memorizing a certain sequence of songs. Wouldn't really have sounded right after "Gold Dust Woman", either.

Jimmy Mack is one of two of the solo songs which I do not much care for,
the other....Guess I Just Lost My Head.
The former is a bit too high in key. The later is simply boring to me !
But, yes, seems to me another shot at a solo-LP might have accomplished wonders.
Solo#1 was---as all parties confess--"an experiment."
As far as Jimmy Mack goes, listen to the background vocals of Beechwood 4-5789,
every bit as high-in-register....so, I wonder if this was a deliberate trend for the duo ?
Richard's solo performance at Karen's wedding was deep and rich, which makes me wonder
why he sang so high (for a male) on many Carpenters' recordings.
Since Karen's Wedding Song (Because We Are In Love) was pre-recorded for her wedding,
was that also the case with Richard's solo performance at that event ?

As far as Jimmy Mack goes, listen to the background vocals of Beechwood 4-5789, every bit as high-in-register....

Background vocals mixed with other harmonies is one thing, this was a lead vocal by Karen. That high, her voice actually sounds quite weak. I know that it remains an unreleased demo (officially), but she should never have been laying down lead vocals in that sort of key.

True enough:
that it is primarily the background harmonies on Beechwood 4-5789
that are sung in a higher-than-normal key;
But, I would venture that the leads on Kiss Me The Way You Did Last Night,
Uninvited Guest
and 1982's Now are all in higher-than normal keys for Carpenters' songs.
Thus, I re-affirm my opinion that this was more than merely a fluke in regards recording
of Jimmy Mack. Karen--by all accounts--chose her solo songs,whereas Richard (apparently)
chose the other ('Carpenters')songs.
I simply do not know what anyone was thinking at the time, 1979-1982.
Both Jimmy and Beechwood are the poorest selections of the time-period !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom