Grammy salute to the music of the . . .

Portlander

Watched the Grammy salute to the Bee Gees on ABC CBS this evening which was excellent and well deserving. How wonderful would it be if the Grammy's did a similar tribute to the Carpenters in the future. Maybe to recognize their 50th anniversary of signing with A&M records in 1969, or the release of "Close to You" a year later.

I'm sure there would be many artists from the past and current that would enjoy the opportunity to honor Karen and Richard similar to the "If I Were a Carpenter" project in the nineties. An impressive list of recording stars have mentioned their admiration for and being influenced by the Carpenters which includes Madonna, Petula Clark, Dionne Warwick, Shania Twain and even Alice Cooper!

I do realize that Karen and Richard are not in the same league as the Bee Gees, but their 3 Grammy awards, an American Music Award, 21 Top 40 hits (includes "Sweet Sweet Smile, #8 Country), 15 #1 Adult Contemporary hits and over 100 million in worldwide record sales is worthy in my opinion. I'm sure Richard would appreciate it and may even chose to play keyboards on a few select hits like Barry Gibb did tonight before he gets too old!

I'll agree - except that show aired on CBS. I've edited your post for future accuracy.

Last edited:
YEP, Alice Cooper likes The Bee Gees!! Not sure about the disco stuff they did though. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Thanks for the catch Harry, think I had the Jackson 5's greatest hits playing in the background while I was typing!

I read somewhere once that one reason they've never been inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is that Richard is not that well liked among many of his peers in the music industry. Has anyone else heard that?

I personally think Richard is well liked and respected by his peers. Have read that he could be difficult and extremely detail oriented in the studio but I found him to be a genuinely nice and pleasant individual from my 30 minute encounter with him in 1976. The Rock and Roll hipsters and powers to be were never a fan of the Carpenters or any other middle of the road act from that era who were not drug influenced and or politically and socially active. With recent inductions of artists like ABBA, the Bee Gees, Donna Summer and Chicago maybe there is hope that the voting climate is starting to change.

Though I like and feel that James Taylor is HOF worthy, his recording career does not compare to the worldwide success of the Carpenters. However, due to his involvement in the previously mentioned culture and his ability to write most of his own songs helped secure him a spot. His recordings are less "rock and roll" than most of the Carpenters catalog, especially when compared to songs like "Goodbye to Love" or "Calling Occupants". He is the one HOF artist in my opinion who's music represents the easy listening/adult contemporary genre that is closest to the Carpenters, only in a more folk rock style.

Though I like and feel that James Taylor is HOF worthy, his recording career does not compare to the worldwide success of the Carpenters. However, due to his involvement in the previously mentioned culture and his ability to write most of his own songs helped secure him a spot. His recordings are less "rock and roll" than most of the Carpenters catalog, especially when compared to songs like "Goodbye to Love" or "Calling Occupants". He is the one HOF artist in my opinion who's music represents the easy listening/adult contemporary genre that is closest to the Carpenters, only in a more folk rock style.

I also like James Taylor, but I agree his commercial success was surpassed by Carpenters. One criticism leveled at Carpenters was that they relied too heavily on remaking oldies ("Please Mr. Postman," "There's a Kind of Hush," "Ticket to Ride," etc.). Yet, despite being primarily a singer/songwriter, James Taylor had his fair share of remakes as hit singles ("How Sweet It Is to Be Loved by You," "Handy Man," "Up on the Roof," "What a Wonderful World," "Everyday"). If there is room in the Hall of Fame for James Taylor, there is room for Carpenters. If there is room for a Grammy salute to the Bee Gees, there is room for Carpenters...

Watched the Grammy salute to the Bee Gees on ABC CBS this evening which was excellent and well deserving. How wonderful would it be if the Grammy's did a similar tribute to the Carpenters in the future. Maybe to recognize their 50th anniversary of signing with A&M records in 1969, or the release of "Close to You" a year later.

I'm sure there would be many artists from the past and current that would enjoy the opportunity to honor Karen and Richard similar to the "If I Were a Carpenter" project in the nineties. An impressive list of recording stars have mentioned their admiration for and being influenced by the Carpenters which includes Madonna, Petula Clark, Dionne Warwick, Shania Twain and even Alice Cooper!

I do realize that Karen and Richard are not in the same league as the Bee Gees, but their 3 Grammy awards, an American Music Award, 21 Top 40 hits (includes "Sweet Sweet Smile, #8 Country), 15 #1 Adult Contemporary hits and over 100 million in worldwide record sales is worthy in my opinion. I'm sure Richard would appreciate it and may even chose to play keyboards on a few select hits like Barry Gibb did tonight before he gets too old!
I think that is a great idea Portlander! If the Bee Gees show garners good ratings, CBS might want to produce similar type shows in the future, to pander to us Baby Boomers. What better than a Carpenters 50th Anniversary Special? Couldn't you picture it, Alice Cooper performing, Sing, complete with a children's choir:yikes:?!

From Screener:
A CBS concert special saluting the music of the Bee Gees led the night in both adults 18-49 (1.2 rating) and viewers (10.26 million).

Excellent ratings for the Bee Gees, I've also heard that the Carpenters do very well when their Close to You special is aired on PBS which is probably a much older demographic. Alice Cooper performing "Sing" with the kids would be entertaining and worth tuning in for by itself! His favorite Carpenter song is actually "Goodbye To Love" which he has played on his Nights With Alice Cooper radio show. Forgot all about Karen's pal Olivia Newton-John as a tribute performer, she could sing "Sometimes" with Richard playing the piano.

Wonder if Richard would be honored by a tribute of this magnitude, his active participation is paramount for a prime time show like this to actually become a reality. Other than his recent appearance on Jay Leno's Garage, he has remained very private though he seemed to enjoy the Hollywood Bowl Hall of Fame honors several years ago with Donna Summer.

Wonder if Richard would be honored by a tribute of this magnitude, his active participation is paramount for a prime time show like this to actually become a reality.

I had to question the calibre of some of the artists who featured. I didn't recognise or had never heard of most of them and wondered if Barry Gibb wasn't sitting there thinking the same thing. The only true high profile artists featured were John Travolta and Celine Dion.

I might be guessing here but I think for Richard to participate in such a show, he'd want a lot more high profile names to feature (I'm thinking Bacharach, Dionne, Olivia etc) who could pay proper tribute rather than a handful of average profile artists. The British TV tribute to the Carpenters they did on ITV a few years ago was, for the most part, utterly dreadful.

You forgot Stevie Wonder, John Legend and a video clip of Olivia. But I agree, most of the artists I was not familiar with and I'm not even sure how large Legend's stature is but he seems to perform/present on every award show.

I think it was a strategic move on CBS' part to have a mix of young & popular contemporary artists perform in order to draw in the demographics for good ratings, and apparently it worked according to the reports!

Unfortunately, while I, too, love to fantasize about a similar national TV network Carpenters' Salute, I think the chances are pretty much slim to none that such program would ever be green-lighted. Sorry! They have a better shot at getting inducted into the Hall of Fame in my humble opinion.

I totally agree - and while watching, was thinking the exact same thing. The Saturday Night Fever situation was a cultural phenom - and probably helped to stimulate this program - but I'll take a 70's retrospective with 3 or 4 acts featured over the 2 hours - inclusive of - & highlighting of course, Karen and Richard.
Olivia, Carly, Elton, and Carpenters.

There - you've got a show. :)

Great idea! I would add Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney/Wings, Chicago, Barry Manilow and Three Dog Night to your list of possible artists which rounds out the very best during the decade of the seventies.

Great idea! I would add Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney/Wings, Chicago, Barry Manilow and Three Dog Night to your list of possible artists which rounds out the very best during the decade of the seventies.
Of course - YES! Then we have an evening of really terrific entertainment. 7-10 central time! Or a possible two-night 70's extravaganza. I really, REALLY like that idea.... as long as Karen and Richard get their time in the spotlight!

I think it was a strategic move on CBS' part to have a mix of young & popular contemporary artists perform in order to draw in the demographics for good ratings, and apparently it worked according to the reports!

Unfortunately, while I, too, love to fantasize about a similar national TV network Carpenters' Salute, I think the chances are pretty much slim to none that such program would ever be green-lighted. Sorry! They have a better shot at getting inducted into the Hall of Fame in my humble opinion.

I think you are probably right in your last paragraph. A "stand alone" special with just The Carpenters would probably not happen (though their fans would love it!). I think it would be more realistic to have some kind of tribute to the MOR arena of the 70s. Maybe have a special with The Carpenters, James Taylor, Linda Ronstadt, Carly Simon, Bread, etc in different segments of the show going over a 3 hr period. Say 7-10 (or 11)pm on a Sunday night. Include enough talented young singers with the older established stars to at least do the songs justice. I think that Richard would be on board to do some piano/vocal accompaniment on some of Karen's standards, and he could even do a couple of instrumentals (Heather, Piano Picker, etc.). Maybe we should barrage CBS with emails "suggesting" A Grammy Awards 50th Anniversary Tribute To The Carpenters that would air in the spring of 2019? I also have fantasies about a full length theatrical movie based on Karen Carpenter. You had; Lady Sings The Blues, The Buddy Holly Story, Sweet Dreams, etc; Why not? Perhaps directed by Ron Howard? Anyway, different thread at a different time.

Though a television tribute to the Carpenters that would be similar to the Bee Gees may never happen, I have a compromise that would make me extremely happy. I firmly believe the Carpenters are very deserving of a Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award and an appropriate time would be during their 50th anniversary. This would give them 5 minutes of prime time recognition along with video clips and Herb Alpert could be the presenter. The American Music Awards could do a similar tribute seeing the Carpenters won the initial Favorite Pop Group of the Year Award in 1974.

I think you are probably right in your last paragraph. A "stand alone" special with just The Carpenters would probably not happen (though their fans would love it!). I think it would be more realistic to have some kind of tribute to the MOR arena of the 70s. Maybe have a special with The Carpenters, James Taylor, Linda Ronstadt, Carly Simon, Bread, etc in different segments of the show going over a 3 hr period. Say 7-10 (or 11)pm on a Sunday night. Include enough talented young singers with the older established stars to at least do the songs justice. I think that Richard would be on board to do some piano/vocal accompaniment on some of Karen's standards, and he could even do a couple of instrumentals (Heather, Piano Picker, etc.). Maybe we should barrage CBS with emails "suggesting" A Grammy Awards 50th Anniversary Tribute To The Carpenters that would air in the spring of 2019? I also have fantasies about a full length theatrical movie based on Karen Carpenter. You had; Lady Sings The Blues, The Buddy Holly Story, Sweet Dreams, etc; Why not? Perhaps directed by Ron Howard? Anyway, different thread at a different time.
Love it!

Me too! And is there any Carpenter fan that does not also admire Bread? Along with the Spinners, Air Supply, Beach Boys, Wilson Phillips, Hall & Oates, Seals & Crofts and England Dan & John Ford Coley . . .

Back
Top Bottom