🎵 AotW Double BLUE A&M SP 5133

LPJim

Staff member
All songs written by Kurt Maloo and Felix Haug.

1. "Woman of the World" (3:53)
  2. "I Know a Place" (3:40)
  3. "The Captain of Her Heart" (4:35)
  4. "Your Prayer Takes Me Off" (6:20)
  5. "Rangoon Moon" (4:01)
  6. "Urban Nomads" (4:58)
  7. "Love is a Plane" (3:40)
  8. "Tomorrow" (4:35)
Double is:

Other contributors:

Entered the Billboard Top 200 on July 26, 1986
Reached # 30 and charted for 21 weeks
Released as CD 5133/DX 640

Cover designed by Hans Inauen
Photos by Barbara Davatz (indoors) & Marco Schaaf (outdoors)

Direction & Management by Peter Zumsteg
Mastering in the U.S. by Frank DeLuna at A&M Mastering Studios, Hollywood, CA.

Recorded and Mixed at Can Studio, Cologne, and Picar Studio, Switzerland
Engineered by Phil Carmen and Rene Tinner

JB

Last edited:
I love this album my two favorites are of course are The Captain of Her Heart and I Know A Place A True Classic in every sense of the word

I've got two things by DOU3LE, one is this promo that I've mentioned before called, A YEAR AGO WE HADN'T HEARD OF THEM EITHER, which features two tracks from this album:

ayearago-jpg.880

and a 12" single of "Devil's Ball" with Herb Alpert on it.

It's funny, I started hearing "The Captain Of Her Heart" on the radio back in the '80s and before I knew that it had anything to do with A&M, I thought it kind of sounded a bit like a Herb Alpert-style vocal, kind of unassuming. Then I found out they were an A&M act here in the States and that Herb actually did a track with them - amazing!

I do not have their CD "Blue" but I do have their 1987 CD!! The song "The Captain Of Her Heart" is also on the "Living In Oblivion: Volume 5" on EMI & the last of the series. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I remember a rumor going around that "Double" the band was actually pronounced "doo-BLAY." Having previously thought Pat Benatar was pronounced "Ben-AY-tur" and Ric Ocasek was "OCK-a-seck" I was ready to believe it.

I remember a rumor going around that "Double" the band was actually pronounced "doo-BLAY." Having previously thought Pat Benatar was pronounced "Ben-AY-tur" and Ric Ocasek was "OCK-a-seck" I was ready to believe it.
I remember the exact same rumors myself I guess it's a matter of perspective and where you live perhaps regardless of that If it Good Music That's all that really matters.

I remember that rumor, too. And one of our DJs on 91X (the new wave station here in San Diego) would even say, "That was 'Captain of her Heart' by Double or 'DooBLAY' depending on how you pronounce it." Of course, he was a jokester and would call the Clash's "Rockin' the Casbah" "Rocking the Catbox" and Tears for Fears "Sowing the Seeds of Love" as "Seeding the Sow of Love." Funny guy!

--Mr Bill

I have a feeling their albums would hit my sweet spot more now than they would have back in the day. I'll make myself a note to check'em out.

Of course, he was a jokester and would call the Clash's "Rockin' the Casbah" "Rocking the Catbox" and Tears for Fears "Sowing the Seeds of Love" as "Seeding the Sow of Love."
I once heard a DJ say "That was 'Out Of Speed' by REO ControlWagon!" Never did know if that was on-purpose or not.

Gave them a listen last night on Tidal--not my cuppa tea. And you'd think with all the other contemporaries of theirs I have listened to... :shrug:

I wrote an article about this album back in the fall, actually; if you're curious to read it, you can find it here.

It's easy to understand why the album wasn't a more sizable hit - it was just too different from anything else on radio at the time, although it wasn't ahead of its time by all that much and definitely foreshadowed the sophisti-pop sound that would (briefly) catch on in a big way on adult-contemporary radio in the late '80s. If it had come out just a year or two later, I think both Blue and "The Captain of Her Heart" might have fared even better than they did.

Always thought they were a very underrated duo, though. Blue is the better of their two albums on a song-by-song basis ("The Captain of Her Heart" is the standout, naturally, but I also like "Woman of the World," "Tomorrow," "Rangoon Moon," and "Your Prayer Takes Me Off"), but the highlights on Dou3le - the Alpert-featuring "Devils Ball," the quick-but-catchy sparse ballad "Wrong Time," etc. - are quite good.

A few years later, Kurt Maloo re-released "Captain of Her Heart" as a remixed version under his own name. Not sure what really happened to Felix Haug, but Maloo did the same with several Double tracks. At any rate, here's the remix of "Captain of Her Heart":

Back
Top Bottom