Favorite Herb Alpert record cover

My favorite Alpert covers: hands down for me would be first South Of The Border! Herb is just standing there smiling looking very handsome and jus' chillin', holding his trumpet, and that sexy babe is leaning into him smiling as well!( I've heard that the 'babe' was Jerry Moss' first wife.)

Next would be What Now My Love. Same lady, same background(somewhat), and the principals' posing says it all. When my friend and I saw the album cover in the 80s, we laughed because the cover confirmed the album's title. Herb looks tired by now of the lady clinging to him.

I've read the same thing, the lady in the photos was Sandra Moss.

For me it's a tie between Beyond and Fandango. The photo for Blow Your Own Horn is noteworthy as it is by renowned photographer Annie Leibowitz... Graphically I like Bullish and Keep Your Eye On Me.

--Mr Bill
Admire the explanation of your choices as it is, in my opinion, a very good explanation of the typologies of Herb solo covers (which was the original question, of course).

In my 8th grade wood shop class (1970/71) a kid brought in the Whipped Cream album cover, probably "borrowed" from his dad. He showed it to a few of us and in no time there was a tremendous commotion as a couple of dozen 13 yr old boys were fawning all over it. So much so that the instructor had to confiscate it, to be returned after class. The rest of the day this kid was constantly hit-up by a small group of us to "have another look". He should've charged a small fee, he probably would have done quite well that day. I always liked Herb's music but never collected any of his albums, however that is one of my all time favorite covers, bar none.

My parents bought the !!Going Places!! album for me for my ninth birthday, which was on January 1st, 1966. I now have a collection of at least 5,000 LPs and CDs and !!Going Places!! was the very first album I ever owned. (Incidentally, the first 45 rpm single I ever owned was the TJB's Mame / Our Day Will Come.)

I've always wondered who the lady is on the front cover of !!Going Places!!. It seems you can search the internet and find the answer to almost anything these days. But, I've not been able to find anything regarding her identity. The pic that Harry posted is from the front cover of the booklet that came inside the 2005 Shout! Factory cd re-issue of !!Going Places!! The booklet, however, does not identify her. This pic shows her face much more clearly than the pose on the album cover. She looks familiar to me, but I can't place her.

!!HELP!!

If I may take a Wild Guess Could The Mystery lady on Going Places be Either Herb's First wife Sharon? OR possibly a relative of any of the A&M Staff Or A Model hired for this purpose who remained uncredited for reasons unknown I thought I would take a guess but I could be wrong. But hopefully we will find out one day or not.

I'm sticking with My Abstract Heart for favourite solo Alpert record cover (the original question, of course), but if the forthcoming Music, Vol. 1 is the pictures that have been floated about that might be a close second. Looks cool in the red...

This lady?
GoingPlacesAltPic.jpg
Great out take Harry, have you got anymore from other album covers?

Back
Top Bottom