YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (84)

Yes - this set used the standard silver-and-tan style label that A&M used throughout the later 70s and early 80s.

I don't remember this unless I'm drawing a total blank...I didn't know that an 84' 2 LP set was released in the U.S. I remember our discussion about the UK release but not this one from a US TV only package. So would you consider this rare to obtain at this point with not many probably left in circulation or no? I just did a quick search on ebay and no results appeared of this Silver Eagle Records release. I'm also curious is there any liner notes inside or full lyric sheets on the inner jacket or are they just plastic sleeves inside?

It shows up every now and then on eBay. The one I found was a little warped, but it plays OK.

So how would this Silver Eagle records release be any different than say those Columbia Record House releases? Both were tv info commercial releases.

So how would this Silver Eagle records release be any different than say those Columbia Record House releases? Both were tv info commercial releases.

Silver Eagle could be thought of as an outfit sort of like Rhino, or maybe a higher-grade K-Tel that specialized in compilations and reissues. They were based in Canada originally and spread to the US. Not quite the same as Columbia House which was more of a record club that hooked you in with an offer of a bunch of records for a penny, then you got the monthly selection unless you stopped it.

Silver Eagle was more of a TV marketer. You'd watch your local TV station and during those dead weekend hours, you'd see repetitive commercials for some compilation or other from a generally, formerly popular artist. The commercial posted above is a perfect example. They urged you to call the 800 number with your credit card and they'd send you the album. These type of marketers were somewhat infamous for tacking on a "shipping and handling" charge over and above the price of the record(s).

There are a number of these YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (84) albums for sale on Discogs at present for those that are curious.

What's interesting about this is that A&M was involved in this Greatest Hits release on LP. I mean they must have known something like this was going to be a big seller or was this to test the waters so to speak to gauge interest in the public on the verge of just losing Karen.

After this was released they must have realized based on sales that there was still a great interest in Carpenters GH since Richard then updated it again for the 85 release LP.

We have to remember this was a time that was still very raw and people were still in shock that Karen was gone.

I would like to eventually get this for my LP collection.

I have 2 copies of the LP. It's not too different from the more well known 85' version other than a few changes in track list and front cover.

I can't find Calling Occupants on the track list, but I can find Because We Are In Love. Don't understand the logic of including Beacuse We Are In Love. Otherwise a great compilation.

Having been raised a second generation Carpenters fan, I always loved this compilation because of the lack of remixes and the inclusion of Beechwood 4-5789 (was a favorite of mine as a kid...not as much how!)

It's nice these conversations here on A&M Corner. Frankly the facebook groups are creepy and filled with people who want to beat the tragedy aspect into the ground and post strange "what she'd look like now photos." Nice to just talk about the music and what makes us happy.

I have this album. Watched the commercial in 1984. My mom wrote a check for me and I gave her cash. I still remember how excited I was when this came in the mail. If I remember correctly, the commercial showed two jackets (I could be wrong on that). I was expecting two jackets for the two albums but there was only one.

I just watched the video again and it could be because they grouped the album together makes it looks like your getting 2 LP jackets instead of the 1 with 2 LPs inside, kind of deceiving. I noticed at the end of the video it says also on 1 cassette, isn't that really pushing the limits? That would be close to what using a single 90 min cassette?

Having just digitized the set, I can tell you that it's 85 minutes long. It will fit on a C-90 cassette, but not an 80 minute CD.

Funny, I found a Sweet Sweet Smile video online. I thought the only one around would have come from the Close Encounters of a Musical Kind TV Special. Maybe this is, since it's hard for my memory to go back 40 years, but the video is almost crystal clear, as is the Touch Me video and the concert footage of Jambalaya. It's hard to believe these are only for personal listening. This YouTube channel has hundreds of videos branded to his site: TopPop

Sweet Sweet Smile

Touch Me

Jambalaya

I can't find Calling Occupants on the track list, but I can find Because We Are In Love. Don't understand the logic of including Beacuse We Are In Love. Otherwise a great compilation.
Because We Are In Love does appear on the 1985 album. Basically one of the big changes, aside from the remixes, is that the 1984 album only contains tracks from Ticket To Ride to Made In America, whereas the 1985 album contains Make Believe It's Your First Time from Voice Of The Heart.

I just watched the video again and it could be because they grouped the album together makes it looks like your getting 2 LP jackets instead of the 1 with 2 LPs inside, kind of deceiving. ?

Yes. I just watched it again. That is why I thought I was getting two sleeves. Now.. who cares, but back then I wanted to covers. Haha
Jonathan

Silver Eagle could be thought of as an outfit sort of like Rhino, or maybe a higher-grade K-Tel that specialized in compilations and reissues. They were based in Canada originally and spread to the US. Not quite the same as Columbia House which was more of a record club that hooked you in with an offer of a bunch of records for a penny, then you got the monthly selection unless you stopped it.

Silver Eagle was more of a TV marketer. You'd watch your local TV station and during those dead weekend hours, you'd see repetitive commercials for some compilation or other from a generally, formerly popular artist. The commercial posted above is a perfect example. They urged you to call the 800 number with your credit card and they'd send you the album. These type of marketers were somewhat infamous for tacking on a "shipping and handling" charge over and above the price of the record(s).

There are a number of these YESTERDAY ONCE MORE (84) albums for sale on Discogs at present for those that are curious.
I remember Silver Eagle's famous Richard clayderman albums ads in the mid 80s until then nobody here ever heard of him unless the local easy listening stations were playing his imports and he shortly got Hugely famous after that

Back
Top Bottom