I love this site immensely - but...

BarryT60

Can we get any insight as to why the actual Carpenters website is so outdated? Many many groups and solo artists from the past have current and updated web-sites; even D-Listers have intriguing sites with merchandise and links to album purchases etc....

I understand that Richard may not have much new news on an ongoing basis, but the fans ask section, along with the occasional picture, update, tid-bit, and basic life-line for such a tremendously enduring musical entity seems like a natural....

Do we have any web-design volunteers? :wink:

Again - the dialog here is so rewarding and uplifting - but an updated "official" site would be a terrific compliment to this one.

This has been brought up before. There's been no "official" word, but the general consensus is that Richard just doesn't want to bother with a website.

We know he has the resources to just "outsource" the job to some design firm, but he would still have to be involved -- answering questions, approving redesigns and updates, and so on. He just doesn't seem interested in it. And, I'm sure he also knows that there are already a bazillion Carpenters fansites around the world (like this one).

Personally I've always thought that he could make some serious bank by having an e-commerce site that would sell downloads of all those outtakes, new or experimental remixes, unreleased tracks, videos and other tidbits that fans want so much. But he doesn't seem to want to go there either. I'm sure it's not about the money - it's that he just doesn't wanna.

I don't care to attempt to explain what's in Richard's head - I've never met him and only know what I know from all of the same sources as everyone else. But I think I sense a great amount of pride in what he has accomplished with his sister and that his choice has been to leave that legacy alone and to stand on its own.

I don't care to attempt to explain what's in Richard's head - I've never met him and only know what I know from all of the same sources as everyone else. But I think I sense a great amount of pride in what he has accomplished with his sister and that his choice has been to leave that legacy alone and to stand on its own.
I agree Harry Sometimes it's just better to Leave Good Enough Alone in my opinion

I agree Harry Sometimes it's just better to Leave Good Enough Alone in my opinion
I understand that thought completely - and appreciate the work and the sense of accomplishment & completion that RC must feel as he reflects on the longevity of his and his sister's career.... But the angle I am thinking is this:

In my own family I have kids who have grown to appreciate Carpenters music and that legacy... yet they speak a different language, in terms of technology and graphics and the like... There must be many many more people in that same boat - new to hearing that sound... and new to the marketplace...

So - updating a beautiful and current "official" site only expands the legacy - and provides an central locale for new consumers and music aficionados to gravitate... I keyed in 'Chicago' & 'Three Dog Night' for instance - and was terribly impressed with their sites... The difference of course being that they are still touring...

Of course, as I intimated in the title of this thread.... I personally thank my lucky stars for this site, for all of the fans, old and new, to have a forum to have conversation...

For what it's worth, Richard does have an Instagram account where he posts pictures of his family and travels from time to time. He also posted a nice tribute to Karen on her birthday, as well. If you look for @richardcarpenterofficial you should find it.

For what it's worth, Richard does have an Instagram account where he posts pictures of his family and travels from time to time. He also posted a nice tribute to Karen on her birthday, as well. If you look for @richardcarpenterofficial you should find it.
I didn't know this either and I just found it..he's actually posted in the past few months some really cool photos. It seems like he might be more tech savvy than you think. I like his signature...Nothing is easy. ha isn't that the truth.

I didn't know this either and I just found it..he's actually posted in the past few months some really cool photos. It seems like he might be more tech savvy than you think. I like his signature...Nothing is easy. ha isn't that the truth.

Richard has millennial children; anything he can't figure out in terms of current technology, I'm sure his kids can help him with. :)

I had no idea... Thanks!!

When I heard Richard had an instagram, I was worried it would be overrun with "Can we have this? Can we have that?" comments. Thankfully I didn't see any of those, but I did see one caustic comment on one of his more recent posts:

So sad Karen had to deal with you and "your mother". Interpret that as you wish. Two people who were second best pretending to be something they were not.

I fear it won't take too many comments like that to run him off. Hopefully it's just one bad apple.

Back
Top Bottom