9828 Newville Ave

how ghastly, mr and mrs carpenter are spinning in their crypt. how a home that was so elegantly kept with manicured lawns, can fall to this is unsightly rubbish pile is both emotionally unspeakable and disrespectful to the surrounding neighbors.

we know that Richard left downey for his psychological well being, and the memories and specters of the past. it is sad, however, that those ice cream vendors did not understand the significance of the home to fans worldwide. one could not expect them to live in a museum, it is their home now, of course, but j.c., couldn't they engage a gardener?

I can't even to begin to talk about that garish mausoleum next door.

By Downey standards that is probably the nicest area in the whole city. The former Carpenter residence still looks in pretty good shape structurally judging from the video; it just seems like it needs a lot of TLC concerning the vegetation overgrowth. That buck in the yard cracks me up. Reminds me of the B'wana lyric "answer the door and feed the deer". It's a strange situation regarding this house, it was made "iconic" in the eyes of fans with the Now & Then album; but is on a residential cul-de-sac in suburbia. As far as I know, the Downey city fathers have not made it a historic landmark or anything and whoever owns the home can do what they wish. Wasn't the owner a few years ago going to demolish it and rebuild? As far as the house next door goes, yeah gaudy as hell, but it's a free country.

For anyone who uses Facebook and is interested, a great new collection of photos from the 1999 convention has been published. The comments on each photo give a great insight into the layout of the house, it's almost like an online pictorial virtual tour :)

This house is very special when you think of how much chart topping success came out of this house, and location.
Go look at the Carpenter's Discography.

Back
Top Bottom