CDs of LOVE MUSIC

Harry

Charter A&M Corner Member
Staff member
Site Admin
Way back in 2003 (I think it was), I bought the Japanese release of Sergio Mendes' LOVE MUSIC. Today I had occasion to listen to a track or two and think it sounds pretty bad. There's lots of distortion on the louder vocal passages.

Has there ever been a better release than this Japanese Arista/BMG release on CD? Anyone know?

Not to my knowledge I never was able to get a cd copy of it but I had needledrop cds made from my clean vinyl copy of Love music and it sounds very good sometimes some cd reissues don't do an album justice sadly I usually go by my gut feeling about whether some cd reissues are important enough especially imports They better sound good or I won't bother spending the money for it

Way back in 2003 (I think it was), I bought the Japanese release of Sergio Mendes' LOVE MUSIC. Today I had occasion to listen to a track or two and think it sounds pretty bad. There's lots of distortion on the louder vocal passages.

Has there ever been a better release than this Japanese Arista/BMG release on CD? Anyone know?
Somehow I got ahold of the set of files for a 2008 (?) release from Sony/BMG. No clue as to what it sounds like. Booklet claims from "original master" tapes but that could mean anything. :shrug:

I have a couple of releases. Don't recall hearing whatever Harry didn't like on the BMG (haven't listened in a long time, though), but there's another release that comes in one of those cardboard ecocases that I believe originated in the Philippines IIRC.

Welcome to the Forum, Rob, and thanks for the info.

Looking around on Discogs, it seems that there are multiple listings for CDs of LOVE MUSIC, but all have the same catalog number, BVCM-37398, so they all look like the same as what I own.

I'm a little leery of the new issue listed at CD Japan as it's listed as a "Low-priced Reissue". In my experience, those are typically identical with prior issues as far as the sound goes. They are probably bit-identical with what's already out there. But I hope I'm wrong and that LOVE MUSIC is getting a great reissue. It wouldn't be the first time that a catalog number remained the same and the mastering was totally different.

I'm back to report that the reissue is the 2003 mastering as denoted on the OBI and the pdf on Sony Japan's website. That said, it sounds pretty good on our Yamaha home system. There was one track that sounded a bit iffy, but for the most, and the price, it is a more than acceptable release. So WOULD recommend.

Thanks for the report. Since we all apparently have the same mastering, I would like those who have the CD to listen to "I Won't Last A Day Without You", listen to the chorus, "When there's no getting over that rainbow...", and there's a gritty distortion in the lead vocals pretty much every time. It's really noticeable at 1:33 and in the latter half of the song.

I'd be willing to bet it's in the master tape.

On a bit different subject, I'm looking through Discogs and finding out that the Bell 45 of "Love Music" seems to command a rather high price. This YouTube sounds like there's a bit more reverb (Don't know what's going on in the opening seconds!)

Back
Top Bottom