CD Singles

Simon KC1950

Well here's something that doesn't come up often. Carpenters CD singles... They are novelties. So how many do The Carpenters have? Do you know anymore? Also would they ever be put onto the resource?
Here's all the ones I have/ can think of :

on both Regular size cd discs and 3" cds

•Tryin' To Get That Feeling Again
/Sing/Close To You

•Rainy Days And Mondays
/Still Crazy After All These Years/Let Me Be The One

•Rainy Days And Mondays
/Maybe It's You/Ordinary Fool

•I Need To Be In Love
/Top Of The World

•Top Of The World
/Desperado

•If I Had You
/Lovelines

•Make Believe It's Your First Time
/If We Try

•Karen's Theme ?

•PACC Medley ?

•Ave Maria
/Merry Christmas Darling

•The Christmas Song
/Winter Wonderland, Silver Bells, White Christmas

•The Rainbow Connection
/Leave Yesterday Behind/Medley (Rainy days & Mondays, superstar)

I never spent any time or effort to collect the CD singles, partly because there was nothing really to gain. I'm reasonably sure that there are no special mixes on these, but you never know. ( :) If anyone wants to send me a complete set, I'll be happy to detail them and put them on the Resource.) Otherwise, my collection is limited to a UK "Rainy Days and Mondays" that claims its a "Radio Remix" but it's just a standard 1991 remix - and there's a mention of it on the Resource. I also have the Japan Single Box that's chock full of CD singles, and those are all included.

The biggest problem with the ones that were released was availability. There was one here, one there, in all sorts of territories around the world.

I never spent any time or effort to collect the CD singles, partly because there was nothing really to gain. I'm reasonably sure that there are no special mixes on these, but you never know. ( :) If anyone wants to send me a complete set, I'll be happy to detail them and put them on the Resource.) Otherwise, my collection is limited to a UK "Rainy Days and Mondays" that claims its a "Radio Remix" but it's just a standard 1991 remix - and there's a mention of it on the Resource. I also have the Japan Single Box that's chock full of CD singles, and those are all included.

The biggest problem with the ones that were released was availability. There was one here, one there, in all sorts of territories around the world.

I've got the following and there's nothing new to report on mixes:

/Sing/Close To You

•Rainy Days And Mondays

•Rainy Days And Mondays

•I Need To Be In Love
/Top Of The World

•Top Of The World
/Desperado

/If We Try

•Ave Maria
/Merry Christmas Darling

•The Rainbow Connection

I've got the following and there's nothing new to report on mixes:

/Sing/Close To You

•Rainy Days And Mondays

•Rainy Days And Mondays

•I Need To Be In Love
/Top Of The World

•Top Of The World
/Desperado

/If We Try

•Ave Maria
/Merry Christmas Darling

•The Rainbow Connection

With "Trying To Get The Feeling" I would disagree. I find I can hear Karen's flipping of the page more clearly on the single, while it's more buried on the album.

Regarding:
Top Of The World/Desperado,
the 1995 cd single.

The mix which appears on this Single is not the same as the LP version,
or the Interpretations version.

I listened to all three (Original LP, Interpretations and the cd-single)
this morning and there is simply no way that this mix
matches the other two.
Especially, regards the drums, piano and guitar.

Perhaps more ears can do this comparison and re-affirm (or, not) !

With "Trying To Get The Feeling" I would disagree. I find I can hear Karen's flipping of the page more clearly on the single, while it's more buried on the album.

I was comparing the CD single version with the version on the US (1995) album release of Interpretations. They sound the same to me. The version on the 1994 UK album release sounds slightly muddier. The drums on the US version also sound like they have been remixed as the snare drum on the drum fill at the beginning of the chorus is much crisper sounding.

Here is another:
(1995) We've Only Just Begun/For All We Know

Amusingly, the credits state:
"...from the A&M Records compact disc
'Once More From The Top' "

Where was the If I Had You/Lovelines CD single issued? I've never heard of that one.

There was also a German 1991 CD single for Please Mr Postman/Desperado/Still Crazy After All These Years with a unique sleeve featuring a photo from the same session as that used for the cover of the UK Only Yesterday compilation.

I heard a cd single featuring Goodbye to love that was longer as it repeated "I'll say goodbye to love" 3 times, rather than 2. I wish I still had the recording.

Where was the If I Had You/Lovelines CD single issued? I've never heard of that one.
I think I've seen it as a Japanese 45. But here in North America "If I Had You" was released as a single-track CD promo, as well as on a cassette with "The Uninvited Guest". By comparison I've seen the promo single-track CD more than the cassette, which I've actually never seen, aside from the photo gallery on the "Close To You" 1997 DVD.

Oh and in Japan, "Slow Dance" was released as a promo 45 with the stereo version on both sides.

I remember that the UK single mix of "Tryin To Get The Feeling Again" differed from the already released Interpretations version because Karen's "lip sounds" (as it was referred to back then) were removed for radio. I noticed on the Resource that this is the version which appears on the US album, but the difference between the two UK mixes is striking.

In North America "If I Had You" was released as a single-track CD promo.

I used to have a promo CD single for 'Let Me Be the One'. It was taken from 'From the Top'. I think it was one track, from the US. It had the usual new mix with the drum stick count-in at the beginning and Karen's sung comment about the melody at the end.

There was also a 4-track promo. I can't remember what it was promoting. I think it was the boxed albums set.

I used to have a promo CD single for 'Let Me Be the One'. It was taken from 'From the Top'. I think it was one track, from the US. It had the usual new mix with the drum stick count-in at the beginning and Karen's sung comment about the melody at the end.

There was also a 4-track promo. I can't remember what it was promoting. I think it was the boxed albums set.
I have an 8-track promo CD for 'From The Top'.

There was a 3" Japanese single dated 1993 that consisted of Close to You and Sing, and another one dated 1994 that had 2 mixes of Yesterday Once More and the Karaoke version as well. I have those two in my collection and am pretty sure that there was another one of "I Won't Last A Day Without You" as well.

There was a 3" Japanese single dated 1993 that consisted of Close to You and Sing, and another one dated 1994 that had 2 mixes of Yesterday Once More and the Karaoke version as well. I have those two in my collection and am pretty sure that there was another one of "I Won't Last A Day Without You" as well.
There was also a CD single of 'Yesterday Once More', including the version by Redd Kross coupled with the original version by Carpenters. This was released around the time of the 'If I Were a Carpenter' tribute.

Back
Top Bottom