🎶 Album Sides THE ALBUM SIDES [Poll]: "A KIND OF HUSH" (SP-4581)

Which side is your favorite?

• Side 1

Votes: 12 36.4%
  • Side 2

Votes: 21 63.6%

• Total voters
I'm not sure which side I like best. 'I Need to Be In Love' is a majestic song and one of Karen's best performances. 'One More Time' is filled with a longing for a time, place and loved-ones probably no longer reachable. A lovely song. 'Boat to Sail' is light and enjoyable and still keeps afloat. Just. 'Goofus' is fun, with a nice arrangement and great harmonies. 'You' still retains some sort of special quality. If I can get back into my teenage skin, I can still take 'Can't Smile Without You' at (unsmiling) face value and enjoy it. Other tracks are largely forgettable, from the breezy and light-weight 'There's a Kind of Hush' to the unsubstantiated filler, 'Sandy', to the why-did-they-bother-to-do-it 'Breaking Up Is Hard To Do' to the over-simplistic 'I Have You'. ("When I fell, you were there with your hand in the air". What??). I loved this album for many years after I bought it in 1977 but some of the tracks have probably lost their spark since then.

For myself, "A Kind Of Hush", "I Need To Be In Love", "Boat To Sail" and "One More Time" save what otherwise would have been a lackluster effort. "Breaking Up Is Hard To Do" and "I Have You" along with "Sandy" are very weak links.

Did anyone else notice that the drum fill on 'Boat to Sail', just before the "Doot Doo Doo Doot Doo - Ahs", is different on the 'A Kind of Hush' CD compared to the vinyl? Or is it only different on the Aussie vinyl? I'm guessing that it's different worldwide.

Did anyone else notice that the drum fill on 'Boat to Sail', just before the "Doot Doo Doo Doot Doo - Ahs", is different on the 'A Kind of Hush' CD compared to the vinyl? Or is it only different on the Aussie vinyl? I'm guessing that it's different worldwide.

I remember you mentioned that over on another thread. Are you able to rip a copy of the version you have that sounds different so we can hear it?

I've just digitized my original vinyl of "Boat To Sail" and compared the drum fills with the 1998 A KIND OF HUSH version and I hear no difference whatsoever.

I assume the section in question is from about 2:19 to about 2:22 of the song. Is this the right spot?

I've just digitized my original vinyl of "Boat To Sail" and compared the drum fills with the 1998 A KIND OF HUSH version and I hear no difference whatsoever.

I assume the section in question is from about 2:19 to about 2:22 of the song. Is this the right spot?
That's interesting. Yes, that's around about the spot. After listening to the vinyl hundreds of times over the years, I noticed the difference the very first time I listened to the CD, so it was glaringly obvious. What I mean is, that drum fill is definitely different between the Aussie vinyl and the CD I have, which I bought in about 1986. (I can't check its details right now). I might have time over the next couple of weeks to find my UK vinyl and compare that to my Aussie vinyl. I'll also check the versions on YouTube and see if I can find both drum fills. Strangely enough, that little section is the only difference I notice, although I haven't compared the whole song carefully for a long time.

I remember you mentioned that over on another thread. Are you able to rip a copy of the version you have that sounds different so we can hear it?
Thanks for the reply, newvillefan. Unfortunately, I'm not going to have access to my records / CDs for the next week or so and don't have the equipment to do what you suggest atm, either. I will try to find a way sometime in the future. It's interesting to read that there may not be differences between other pressings of the vinyl / other editions of the CD, though. :)

The only odd thing I noticed on the LP was that just before that point, while Karen is singing, there's a dropout section, as if the tape were damaged or someone bumped the pot at that point.

The only odd thing I noticed on the LP was that just before that point, while Karen is singing, there's a dropout section, as if the tape were damaged or someone bumped the pot at that point.
Again, interesting. When I'm home next, I'll check.

That's interesting. Yes, that's around about the spot. After listening to the vinyl hundreds of times over the years, I noticed the difference the very first time I listened to the CD, so it was glaringly obvious. What I mean is, that drum fill is definitely different between the Aussie vinyl and the CD I have, which I bought in about 1986. (I can't check its details right now). I might have time over the next couple of weeks to find my UK vinyl and compare that to my Aussie vinyl. I'll also check the versions on YouTube and see if I can find both drum fills. Strangely enough, that little section is the only difference I notice, although I haven't compared the whole song carefully for a long time.
I may think I know what you mean... Maybe it's just a different mix? Or the way it played on 1976 stereo compared to today's digital output? Its an intangible thing... I almost would say it's practically the same, but perhaps one can identify more of the doubling up of the lick, (the manner in which the sticks hit the skin) now...

I may think I know what you mean... Maybe it's just a different mix? Or the way it played on 1976 stereo compared to today's digital output? Its an intangible thing... I almost would say it's practically the same, but perhaps one can identify more of the doubling up of the lick, (the manner in which the sticks hit the skin) now...
It could be that. To me, it sounds like a tiny section of a separate take, spliced in, or brought up in the mix. It's noticeable as a different drum fill, to me.

Back
Top Bottom