Japan 1976

Did the DVD include the opening with the Japanese reporter interviewing some of the Japanese fans and the opening sound check before the concert started and also did it include subtitles?

Yes, there is a reporter interviewing people at an airport at the beginning. The sound check is there, and the subtitles (both Japanese and English) are burned in.

I know you haven't watched the re-released DVD all the way through, but does it have the interview with K & R that appeared on the original TV broadcast? This is not on the first edition DVD, laser disc or video from the 90s.

Sadly, there appears to be no interview with our favourite dynamic duo as far as I can tell. I fast forwarded through the whole disc just now.

Sadly, there appears to be no interview with our favourite dynamic duo as far as I can tell. I fast forwarded through the whole disc just now.
Thanks very much for looking, Eyewire. It's a shame the interview wasn't included. My copy of the chat with K & R is so washed-out that you sort of have to half-imagine the whole thing.

The LIVE AT BUDOKAN LaserDisc - and other releases in Japan - are authorized for sale in Japan. Richard's comments are even on the package.

Budokan3.jpg

If Richard called it unauthorized, he was probably referring to it ONLY being authorized for sale in Japan.

I just looked through my emails, and here's the response that I have from Becky Boxberger, from November 2004, regarding DVD's on any TV specials.

Becky Boxburger said:
Richard has previously answered the question about television specials and the possibility of releasing them on DVD, so I'll give you a brief version: This would most likely not happen as the specials were never filmed with this purpose in mind, and so the quality of any films in archive is not to Richard's standard of excellence.

And then I found this on the official website in the Fans ask section:

http://richardandkarencarpenter.com/fans_ask_Archive-All.htm#DVD said:
Q: What Carpenters DVDs have been produced and which are available?
A: "Gold", "Interpretations", and "Close To You: Remembering The Carpenters".
Q: Will Richard ever release another DVD of Carpenters songs…besides repackaging of Yesterday Once More and Interpretations?
A: No, nothing much left!
Q: "There has never been a live Carpenters album released in the U.S. I am sure you have many live shows recorded. Any chance of a new live CD, or box set of live concerts?"
A: "Not many live shows were recorded, only two: 'Live in Japan' (1974) and 'Live at the Palladium' (1976). Both have been released on CD, but the former will probably be easier to obtain. Japan is the source to look for both - through Tower or Virgin imports, of course. These were never released in the U.S. at my request, as I'm just not much on live albums by anybody."

With Live At Buokan, I wonder if the broadcast fell into Japan's Public Domain in the 80's or 90's, and Universal was going to release it with or without Richard's permission, and Richard just wrote that after Universal threw some cash at him to make it look official. I remember over on the Trekbbs a while back, the author Greg Cox was mentioning a situation where he was the editor on a reissue of the first Zorro story, and he was publishing it as a Public Domain release, and while he didn't have to, he sent some money to the estate of the author of Zorro, and as a result the estate helped promote the reprint, even though they didn't need to.

With Live At Buokan, I wonder if the broadcast fell into Japan's Public Domain in the 80's or 90's, and Universal was going to release it with or without Richard's permission, and Richard just wrote that after Universal threw some cash at him to make it look official. I remember over on the Trekbbs a while back, the author Greg Cox was mentioning a situation where he was the editor on a reissue of the first Zorro story, and he was publishing it as a Public Domain release, and while he didn't have to, he sent some money to the estate of the author of Zorro, and as a result the estate helped promote the reprint, even though they didn't need to.
At some stage, I'll find Richard's promo video for the Japanese release of the 'Live at the Budokan' video / DVD / laser disc. It's actually a short interview about the project. I'll write a transcript. (I'm not able to upload to YouTube). That may provide some more info, straight from Richard's talking head. The only thing likely to get in the way of me doing this is the time factor. I'm always so busy.

At some stage, I'll find Richard's promo video for the Japanese release of the 'Live at the Budokan' video / DVD / laser disc. It's actually a short interview about the project. I'll write a transcript. (I'm not able to upload to YouTube). That may provide some more info, straight from Richard's talking head. The only thing likely to get in the way of me doing this is the time factor. I'm always so busy.
Considering what we've seen of the other videos that Richard has released, Live At Budokan does not seem like a release that was sanctioned by Richard. Also the audio is the mono broadcast audio, which Richard does not like having on DVD if he's able to replace it with a stereo version. Just look at the recent release of Christmas videos. Richard included the video for Santa Claus Is Coming To Town from the Perry Como Christmas Show in 1974, and even though the video was out on the 2013 DVD with the original mono recording of SCICTT from 1974, Richard stripped the audio and replaced it with the 1984 stereo version. (Plus Christmas Alphabet & Make Me Laugh, while never appearing on an album, appear on the DVD in stereo and not their original mono.) And on the website, it is interesting how Richard tells people from outside Japan how to get the two Live Albums, but then he never mentions anything about how people can get Live At Budokan.

Richard included the video for Santa Claus Is Coming To Town from the Perry Como Christmas Show in 1974, and even though the video was out on the 2013 DVD with the original mono recording of SCICTT from 1974, Richard stripped the audio and replaced it with the 1984 stereo version.

I'll never understand why he did that, when he could have used the 1974 stereo version from the single. It's beyond weird watching Bob Messenger on saxophone, but John Phillips' entirely different sax solo is coming out of the speakers!

Last edited:
The LIVE AT BUDOKAN LaserDisc - and other releases in Japan - are authorized for sale in Japan. Richard's comments are even on the package.

Budokan3.jpg

If Richard called it unauthorized, he was probably referring to it ONLY being authorized for sale in Japan.
I agree and I posted pics of the original DVD release you can see at the top on the back there is the same message from Richard. These are only authorized for sale in Japan.

your CarpenterS holy grail collectible

Hello, everybody.

There was a book titled "KYODO MAGAZINE MOOK21 Carpenters" published in Japan (in 1996)
This book is compiled by Yuko Ogura.
And this book is authorized by Richard Carpenter.

In this book, there is a "Officialy released VIDEO list".
And of course "Live at Budokan 1974" is there.
The following is my poor translation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Japanese Title: Live in Japan -- Yesterday Once More, Budookan 1974 --
Publisher: PolyGram
Release date: September 25, 1996
VHS: POVM1021 (price: 4800 yen)
LD: POLM1021 (price: 4800 yen)

Description by Yuko Ogura:

Legendary 1974 performance has been released on a video.
This is a precious documentary includes the concert scene at Budokan on May 31, 1974.
This video also includes the scenes such as
"arriving at the airport", "press conference", "reheasals".

This video program was broadcasted on June 9, 1974 in Japan.
But, some editing has been done from the broadcasted version.
The interview part was removed in the editing process.

Richard's explanation:
In that interview, We were asked
"What are you going to do, when you will be back in the USA?"
I answered "We are going to make a new album."
But, I just purchased a house in Lubec then, and wanted to move there.
So, I moved to Lubec instead of making an album.
Yes, I recorded "Please Mr. Postman", but not a whole album.
Every Carpenters fan knows that we did not make an album at that time.
So, I decided to remove that interview part.

It's a shame. The interview scene of Karen & Richard is very rare...
But, the audio quality is highly improved from the broadcasted version.

Richard also requested to find the TV master without Japanese subtitles.
They searched all the TV archives, but could not find.
So, there was a high possibility that Richard would refuse to release.

This is the authentic story.
Are you satisfied now?

Yes it has plane arrival, interviews and a bit in the garden of then signing a pane of glass, sound check etc.

I'll never understand why he did that, when he could have used the 1974 stereo version from the single. It's beyond weird watching Bob Messenger on saxophone, but John Phillips' entirely different sax solo is coming out of the speakers!
Well it's not the first time that he's switched out the audio on a video like that. Just look at the DVD/VHS for The 5th Dimension Travelling Sunshine Show that's been out since 1992. The video for Superstar is in mono, but on the Interpretations VHS (and later DVD) Richard replaced the 1971 mono version with the 1985/91 remix.

Hello, everybody.

There was a book titled "KYODO MAGAZINE MOOK21 Carpenters" published in Japan (in 1996)

This is a precious documentary includes the concert scene at Budokan on May 31, 1974.

Richard's explanation:

Are you satisfied now?
Thank you Lotus for the transcription.
I have the Mook Book by Yuko Ogura, say could you transcribe all of that to English? Ha just kidding.
However I do wish there was an English version, especially with all the interviews by Richard and John Bettis in there.
So many "Super Long Interviews" but I can't read none of it. :laugh:

I didn't know that there was an interview by Richard during the Live at Budokan that hit the cutting room floor. From what Lotus wrote, I guess it sounds right that they would have cut it since it talked about them recording music for which there was no album and the public couldn't buy it. It makes me wonder if that interview still exists somewhere. It would be really cool if Japan would release that on a future DVD set like the 50th coming up, wouldn't that be awesome. I'd buy that set just for the interview.

Hello, everybody.

Richard's explanation:

Thanks very much, Lotus. I think it's a great shame that Richard chose to leave out the interview. Nobody would have minded if he mentioned something that didn't eventuate. Fans would have appreciated seeing the chat, because there aren't very many interviews of Karen and Richard together at their peak out there. As far as I can remember, on DVD, there's just the 'This is your Life' show and then the couple of very short snippets on 'Close to You- Remembering the Carpenters', plus a couple of staged skits on a Bob Hope DVD, the Perry Como Christmas CD, the Fifth Dimension DVD, the Carol Burnett DVD and maybe a couple of others. The skits aren't the same as seeing a proper interview, though. (I know there are quite a few on YouTube). Thanks very much for going to the trouble to translate!

I didn't know that there was an interview by Richard during the Live at Budokan that hit the cutting room floor. From what Lotus wrote, I guess it sounds right that they would have cut it since it talked about them recording music for which there was no album and the public couldn't buy it. It makes me wonder if that interview still exists somewhere. It would be really cool if Japan would release that on a future DVD set like the 50th coming up, wouldn't that be awesome. I'd buy that set just for the interview.
The interview shows off Karen's sense of humour. She says a couple of funny things. She and Richard look super-healthy, (as you can see in the section that did make it to DVD, where they sign the pane of glass. From memory, that section comes straight after the interview. That's the location where the interview takes place - in the garden, with K & R sitting on the garden chairs). It's a shame that the original footage couldn't be found but it's amazing how good in visual quality the DVD is, seeing as it was mastered from a TV station copy. I, too, would buy another copy of the concert, (and I've already got three in different formats), just to see the interview in clear focus. (Mine's several generations down the line and is blurry and washed out).

Thank you Lotus for the transcription.
I have the Mook Book by Yuko Ogura, say could you transcribe all of that to English? Ha just kidding.
However I do wish there was an English version, especially with all the interviews by Richard and John Bettis in there.
So many "Super Long Interviews" but I can't read none of it. :laugh:

Google's free Translate app uses a smartphone's camera to translate printed text on-the-fly. Just point your phone at a sign and it translates pretty much instantly.

I wonder how well this would work with a page full of printed text. When I get home later I might try it on some of those obi strips that I got with my Japanese Carpenters CDs and DVDs.

Do you think this photo is from that interview we talked about above? We know from the Live at Budokan DVD/VHS/Laserdisc that Richard and Karen were not shown sitting down, they have the same outfit on but were shown signing there names to the glass. Is this a shot from the interview?

3UYTCE5.jpg

Do you think this photo is from that interview we talked about above? We know from the Live at Budokan DVD/VHS/Laserdisc that Richard and Karen were not shown sitting down, they have the same outfit on but were shown signing there names to the glass. Is this a shot from the interview?

3UYTCE5.jpg
Yes, that's how they appear in the interview.

Hello, everybody.

Richard's explanation:

Are you satisfied now?
It could still have been an official release, but not by Richard. Who owns the copyright to Budokan? If it's Nippon or another TV station, they may not have needed Richard's permission. Just like the 1971 BBC concert is owned by the BBC (and to release on 'And When He Smiles' on ATGB he needed the BBC's permission) and anyone can license it and distribute it. It would be the same as the Perry Como DVD. The BBC and their releasing agent would just need to send some money Richard's way and get a release signed for the world, and Richard wouldn't be able to say much as he doesn't own the concerts. And in the EU, the releasing companies wouldn't need to get Richard's permission, as the courts have ruled in the EU that once a contract for any broadcastvideo release (prior to the early-2000's), the copyright owner has all the rights (google "A Muppet Family Christmas').

It could still have been an official release, but not by Richard. Who owns the copyright to Budokan? If it's Nippon or another TV station, they may not have needed Richard's permission. Just like the 1971 BBC concert is owned by the BBC (and to release on 'And When He Smiles' on ATGB he needed the BBC's permission) and anyone can license it and distribute it. It would be the same as the Perry Como DVD. The BBC and their releasing agent would just need to send some money Richard's way and get a release signed for the world, and Richard wouldn't be able to say much as he doesn't own the concerts. And in the EU, the releasing companies wouldn't need to get Richard's permission, as the courts have ruled in the EU that once a contract for any broadcastvideo release (prior to the early-2000's), the copyright owner has all the rights (google "A Muppet Family Christmas').

The VHS / Laserdisc / DVD were released originally by Polygram (which owned A&M), and re-issued by Universal Music (which purchased Polygram). Richard's contract with A&M (and it's successor companies) gives him final consent on all Carpenters releases on their label, and gives him the right to refuse licensing Carpenters music to third parties, even though he doesn't own the masters. So, it doesn't really matter if the "Budokan" copyright still belongs to NHK, or if it was purchased by Universal - it is on their label, so they could not have released it without Richard's consent. The MOOK is clear that Richard was actively involved with the video release - HE made the decision to remove the interview segment, and HE requested the video master without the subtitles. When it couldn't be found, he ultimately decided to release it anyway.

I was interested to know the total runtime of this footage with interview included I'm guessing somewhere around 1 hour 15 mins?.
Does anyone have a full list of available live or documentary footage over the 30 minutes mark perhaps?, and if possible marks out of 10 for picture and audio quality?. Thanks in advance.

I was interested to know the total runtime of this footage with interview included I'm guessing somewhere around 1 hour 15 mins?.
Does anyone have a full list of available live or documentary footage over the 30 minutes mark perhaps?, and if possible marks out of 10 for picture and audio quality?. Thanks in advance.
When I have time, I will dig out my video of the original 'Lovesounds' TV special that the 'Live at the Budokan' DVD was mastered from. My video looks like about an eighth generation copy (!) From memory, the interview isn't very long. My guess is between three and five minutes.

Back
Top Bottom