Heard Carpenters

The Carpenters were discussed at good length on TJ Lubinsky's radio program tonight. He had Jim Pierson on. Heard "Goodbye to Love", "Sometimes", "Mr. Guder", "Solitaire", "I Need to Be in Love". I even think @Jamesj75 from these boards was a caller -- feelin' the love from A Kind of Hush my friend! Great fun!! :D

Thanks for the nod, theninjarabbit! Your memory is accurate. I called TJ Lubinsky's program on two separate occasions, and TJ was welcoming and enthusiastic. Jim Pierson was featured on one of those occasions. The appreciation shown to Carpenters was palpable. I'm usually tied up Friday nights, so I don't get to listen as often. But I am so glad to hear that Carpenters' love (and A Kind of Hush love) is a regular feature. Take care, Friend!

Yesterday,Carpenters heard in Congress....
Here:'Hanging around, nothing to do but frown...'

"As House members assembled in their chamber this morning for their expected 9 a.m. session,
which ended up starting about 15 minutes late, Rep. Tom Loertscher, R-Iona, regaled them with
Rainy Days and Mondays” by the Carpenters,
thanks to a bright-yellow speaker attached to his laptop that he set on his House desk.
Among the lyrics: “Hanging around, nothing to do but frown. Rainy days and Mondays always get me down…”

This is more of a funny anecdote but I had "If I Had You" piped to my stereo from the cellphone, and it sounded soupy. Like, abnormally soupy. I'm sitting there thinking, "God, how much reverb did Richard add to this?". The phone somehow had the audio set to "Concert Hall". Oops... :laugh:

Close To You,
today at noon, 89.5 The Villages radio.
I must confess, I have underestimated this Single.
Listening on the car Radio, today, that ending, where
Karen holds that final lyric/note "...You..."
Takes my breath away...so beautiful....

I feel like I am hitting the jackpot all the time recently during my drive time listening to Sirius XM Radio. During one drive this week, I heard both Close to You (70s channel) and then Top of the World (Love channel)! This morning I heard Hurting Each Other; I am not sure how they select their music, but whoever is at the controls is doing a fantastic job for the Carpenters' fans out there. Keep the hits coming!

A bit of retrospective listening on BBC Radio iPlayer after taking a look at the BBC Radio playlist:

Carpenters - New Songs, Playlists & Latest News - BBC Music

There were a couple of more obscure tracks played: Look To Your Dreams, Now and Rainbow Connection. They were all played on Michael Poulter's Sunday Evening radio programme (not his nostalgia show) on BBC Newcastle. For UK listeners with access to the BBC Radio iPlayer you can find LTYD at around the 2hr 26min mark (9 July), and Now at around 56min 50sec (2 July) and RC at 2hr 33min (25 June).

There were a couple of more obscure tracks played: Look To Your Dreams, Now and Rainbow Connection. They were all played on Michael Poulter's Sunday Evening radio programme (not his nostalgia show) on BBC Newcastle. For UK listeners with access to the BBC Radio iPlayer you can find LTYD at around the 2hr 26min mark (9 July), and Now at around 56min 50sec (2 July) and RC at 2hr 33min (25 June).

I've met Michael, he's a really nice guy. I emailed his show a couple of times and he played the songs I requested :).

I feel like I am hitting the jackpot all the time recently during my drive time listening to Sirius XM Radio. During one drive this week, I heard both Close to You (70s channel) and then Top of the World (Love channel)! This morning I heard Hurting Each Other; I am not sure how they select their music, but whoever is at the controls is doing a fantastic job for the Carpenters' fans out there. Keep the hits coming!

I must be listening at the wrong times. I listen to the 70's channel mostly in the afternoons or early evening and rarely hear the C's. In fact the other day I was actually thinking about the thread where the discussion revolves around how radio "turned" on them later in their career arc, and thought to myself "it continues". I hear songs by other popular bands from the 70's, repeatedly - but rarely the C's.

I must be listening at the wrong times. I listen to the 70's channel mostly in the afternoons or early evening and rarely hear the C's. In fact the other day I was actually thinking about the thread where the discussion revolves around how radio "turned" on them later in their career arc, and thought to myself "it continues". I hear songs by other popular bands from the 70's, repeatedly - but rarely the C's.

I feel your pain. I NEVER hear Carpenters songs on over-the-air radio anymore. It was promising a couple of months ago when I found an AM station out of Yuba City, CA (about 100 miles from my location). It seemed to have a old style Top 40 play list. I have spent a lot of time listening to it (It barely comes in, but I am persistent) while driving. I have yet to hear a Carpenters song and they claim to play "hits from the 70s". Yes, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, The Jackson Five, The BeeGees all the time! How can you play hits from the 70s and exclude The Carpenters? They have a request email on their website and I think I am going to hit them up for a little Rainy Days & Mondays or Superstar and see if they actually would play it.

I feel your pain. I NEVER hear Carpenters songs on over-the-air radio anymore. [SNIP]

Early this year, the 70's Sat. radio had a guest DJ who was himself an artist from the 70's (cannot remember his name). He played a couple Carpenters songs. Most of the songs he played, he had stories to tell - he knew the artist or was in some way associated with that artist, and would regale the listeners with anecdotes. When he played the Carpenters he said he played softball with Karen; and that she had some wicked pitches :). He lamented her loss, and also praised Richard for his talent. I haven't heard that guy in quite a while.

I feel your pain. I NEVER hear Carpenters songs on over-the-air radio anymore. It was promising a couple of months ago when I found an AM station out of Yuba City, CA (about 100 miles from my location). It seemed to have a old style Top 40 play list. I have spent a lot of time listening to it (It barely comes in, but I am persistent) while driving. I have yet to hear a Carpenters song and they claim to play "hits from the 70s". Yes, Steely Dan, Fleetwood Mac, The Jackson Five, The BeeGees all the time! How can you play hits from the 70s and exclude The Carpenters? They have a request email on their website and I think I am going to hit them up for a little Rainy Days & Mondays or Superstar and see if they actually would play it.

Same here. I've been listening to my local oldies station for the past 5-6 years. They play songs from the '60s, '70s and early '80s. I listen to this station to and from work every day, and even at home on my days off. Not once have I ever heard a Carpenters song played during this whole entire time. They play Captain and Tennille, Barry Manilow, Bread, etc., They've even played Debby Boone. But Carpenters? No.

It reeks of censorship if you ask me. :sad:

Sorry about that! On the Sirius XM "80s on 8" channel, I recently even heard "Touch Me When We're Dancing" with DJ's comments about it being the last Top 20 pops charter for The C's and their last #1 on the AC charts! I think that's what he said (not sure the accuracy); honestly, I was sort of in shock that I actually was hearing the song. It was great!

Last night (July 25) one of the categories on Jeopardy
was 70s Songs...one of the Answers was
Rainy Days And Mondays....
The "Clue" consisted of the intro-harmonic melody,
not the Carpenters' recording, a karaoke-type duplicate....
in any event, the answer was gotten by contestant
within a second of listening.

^^^ I watch "Jeopardy" pretty consistently...figures, I didn't tune-in last night - my wife had me working in the garden...:cry:

I took my "Nation's Favourite" disc for a spin today. I love the different remixes all together -- love the classy cover, too. I'm glad we have it! (very grateful to a member of the forums in the UK for sending me the cd :D)

As a side note, I saw that Jeopardy clip!! The version they played, I thought Paul Williams himself was going to start singing. It sounded like what his version would sound like... :laugh: (I don't mean that to be insulting!)

Top Of The World, heard on KFOK-95.1FM Georgetown, CA this afternoon on the "Pat Leeds Rockin' 50s, 60s, and 70s Show".

Man, I continue to be unlucky in this regard. In the last week on Sirius Sat 70's I have heard Cher's "Half Breed" and "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves" MULTIPLE times, and I heard ABBA several times, and yet no C's.

A few months ago I heard then in the 70’s SiriusXM channel and a few hours later on the Love channel on SiriusXM radio. And I only heard about 5 songs in the car that day. I also heard them in an old American Top 40 the following day, again on the 70’s channel. It’s been a while but I will remember that for some time. It almost felt like 1973 when I would hear them within the hour on any radio station I turned to. And if I listened to two stations in one hour I would hear them on both. There were even many nights in the same year that I could turn the AM dial and hear them on multiple stations at the same time just by turning the dial to out of town stations. Memories! So that is what those two days on SiriusXM a few months ago reminded me of hearing decades ago. Music tastes began to turn in 1974 and I always associated it with the end of the Vietnam War. The Carpenters did expand beyond the point of many MOR artists who began in the early 70’s, probably because they were more than a MOR artist and had a devoted fan based following and an incredible sound, no matter what they performed. They were not stuck in one style, which kept me as a devoted fan all these years. The tide will turn back soon, I am certain! Just look at all the new products available in the past few years as evidence. Their reign and record breaking triumphs and popularity in the early 70’s was actually unbelievable!! And Europe/Japan carried them mid to late 70’s. Several small meaningful revivals have happened since and I believe even more will follow with respect to their craft, talent and contribution to the popular music scene soon. It all goes back to those unbelievable years!

Let's not be in the business of spreading malicious rumors, huh? (The offending posts have been removed.)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom