⭐ Official Review [Album]: "CLOSE TO YOU" (SP-4271)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 42 47.2%

Votes: 38 42.7%

Votes: 7 7.9%

Votes: 2 2.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Never thought the Cover of this Album was particularly bad.
Certainly not in the manner in which 1976 Live At The Palladium is awful.
Now, in looking at credits on Covers, the art direction usually includes
Roland Young.
Here is an article in Billboard October 1973 pertaining to issue of Album Artwork:
Billboard »

Absolutely adore this album! So many great songs, so hard to choose a favorite. From the soft melody of Crescent Noon, to the non sense the "da ba da" part of Mr. Guder, to the great vocals on We've Only Just Begun, (They Long to Be) Close To You, and, well, everything! My favorite songs, if I had to choose, would be either Crescent Noon or CTY. What an album! :)

As is rather well-known, I am hardly a huge fan of "Help," (off of this LP)
that being said, on a recently discovered disc I had the pleasure of listening to
a version of the song--recorded I do not know when or where--
which is considerably slowed-down in tempo .
And, what a difference to my ears.
The slower tempo opened it up to my appreciation.

I was just over on "Official" Carpenters website (richardandkarencarpenter.com) and I found an interesting fact on the 'Close To You' page: apparently "Help" was originally considered as the single in the place that Close To You was released.

I was just over on "Official" Carpenters website (richardandkarencarpenter.com) and I found an interesting fact on the 'Close To You' page: apparently "Help" was originally considered as the single in the place that Close To You was released.

That's true. I'd like to think that even if it had happened, Close To You would still have come out and been a smash, just a little later than it was. I don't think Help would have been a big hit at all.

Record World Carpenters in NY Oct 31, 1970

Record%20World%20Carpenters%20in%20NY%20Oct%2031%201970.jpg~original

Reading the Official Carpenter Website
(Carpenters biography 2005, Richard and Karen Carpenter »)
we find this tidbit (referencing song We've Only Just Begun) :
"Additionally, Richard’s interpretation of the song would have quite an impact on the way many ballads to come
were arranged, from the voicing of the piano in the intro and first verse, to the entrance of vocals, strings and the use of brass in the bridge
."

I would greatly appreciate input on the songs, the "...ballads to come..." which substantiate the quote above.

Check out this concert review, really takes you back in time. It's interesting that the date of this was June 13, 1970 so this would have been right before the album Close To You was released Aug 28, 1970. Interesting to read so early on about Karen behind the drums and them hinting she should be out front.

Cashbox June 13, 1970
Burt%20Bacharach%20Concert%20w%20Carpenters%20June%2013%201970%20Cashbox.png~original

Here--if anyone still hasn't heard it--is Carmichael's original version,
"Love Is Surrender":

Never heard this before, thanks for posting. Was it Richard's call to change up the lyrics for the CTY album?
Check out this concert review, really takes you back in time. It's interesting that the date of this was June 13, 1970 so this would have been right before the album Close To You was released Aug 28, 1970. Interesting to read so early on about Karen behind the drums and them hinting she should be out front.

Cashbox June 13, 1970
Burt%20Bacharach%20Concert%20w%20Carpenters%20June%2013%201970%20Cashbox.png~original
Thanks for sharing this article. Interesting how the duo only made the last paragraph of this article but in two months time they would be famous.

Karen plays drums on these selections of this Album:
Love is Surrender
Mr. Guder
Another Song
I'll Never Fall In Love Again

(Source:May 1980 Newsletter#67)

Still, remain puzzled with the oft-mentioned remark that her drumming was too soft.
Simply an unsubstantiated "myth".....

Cashbox June 13, 1970
Reading on from "Burt was preceeded by the Carpenters, a sweet sounding 4 boys and a girl rock group..." it almost sounds "sexist" especially in today's "politically correct" environment. It would be interesting to know the sex of the columnist.

Not necessarily a fan of the song
Help,
but....wait ! here is Karen in 1972, Australia...beginning of the Concert....
what a delight to hear and watch, as she sings and drums.....Stellar....

Ah....takes me back to the mid-90's, I had an opportunity to buy (priced at $100)
an actual RIAA gold-record award,
presented to Chuck Findley for the single (45) Close To You.
Now, the Vinyl-LP Credits (on the actual Close To You LP) do not have Chuck Findley's name listed !
So....I passed up on this presentation award...
well, in any event, I made a huge mistake......

I can imagine that there was heavy consideration for 'Help'; it was a beloved song well-known to the public, and given Richard's treatment. They needed a hit; 'Close to You' was probably seen as a bigger risk, but of course all concerned made the right choice, ultimately.

I can imagine that there was heavy consideration for 'Help'; it was a beloved song well-known to the public, and given Richard's treatment. They needed a hit; 'Close to You' was probably seen as a bigger risk, but of course all concerned made the right choice, ultimately.
What I got from the website was that 'Close To You' was always going to be released as a single, but apparently "Help" was already in the can as they were finishing 'Close To You' and they were thinking if a second Beatles-cover might do better on the charts (especially with the Beatles break up in 1970).

What I got from the website was that 'Close To You' was always going to be released as a single, but apparently "Help" was already in the can as they were finishing 'Close To You' and they were thinking if a second Beatles-cover might do better on the charts (especially with the Beatles break up in 1970).

wow !! when I read that, many years ago, I thought it read that HELP was to follow CLOSE TO YOU as a single until Richard found WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN.

Just gave CLOSE TO YOU a spin thru my Harry recommended Sony mv-9 headphones. A phenomenal listen. Yeehaw!!!

Do you mean Sony MDR-V6 ?

a6993eb8-e9c4-4c7d-afe1-f356ccef0329.jpg._CB350754422_.jpg
Thanks for posting this photo, now I know that the outer shell of the jack unscrews to reveal a portable device adaptor. I've had a pair of MDR-V5 for many years and never realised this option was available.

Back
Top Bottom