6. Top Of The World
7. Ticket To Ride
8. Only Yesterday
9. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
10. Beechwood 4-5789
11. Touch Me When We're Dancing
12. Hurting Each Other
13. Please Mr. Postman
14. There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
15. (They Long To Be) Close To You

Interpretations

1. Without A Song
2. Superstar
3. Rainy Days And Mondays
4. Reason To Believe
5. (They Long To Be) Close To You
6. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft
7. Little Girl Blue
8. Bless The Beasts And Children
9. We've Only Just Begun
10. When I Fall In Love
11. From This Moment On

Gold features the official Promo videos which are nice to have, Interpretations on the other hand mostly contains precious videos from the TV series and tv specials. Both contain Hits like "Superstar, "Rainy Days And Mondays", "We've Only Just begun" and "Close To You". Also who could forget "Occupants"!
Whilst featuring many of the same songs they both have the occasional song that doesn't usually appear on sets like "Reason To Believe", "Little Girl Blue", "From This Moment On" and "When I Fall In Love" on the Interpretations DVD with "Those Good Old Dreams" and "Beechwood4-5789" on Gold.
Gold is presented in a Classy, Rich looking cover with their name in Gold (rightfully so... They are Gold!)
whilst Interpretations is an eye catching blue with a nice photo of our star duo. It features a written piece by Richard Carpenter, from June, 2003, mentioning the contents of the DVD et el. Whilst Gold contains a booklet that has a short bio written in 2000 by John Tobler.

But which one is better and why?

Last edited:
Great poll!

I went with Gold, simply because it's more comprehensive and features the three videos from 1981, which I loved when I first saw them.

Interpretations was also a gem because it featured material from their TV specials, which I hadn't seen at the point of buying the DVD. My favourite is Without A Song by a mile, I just wish it had been the full version.

Great poll!

Thanks Newvillefan !
I also went with Gold, whilst I think they are both great I just feel that Interpretations is missing something. There is only 11 songs and some are quite short. I think it would be better with at least another 5 songs....
if there are any others left that is !

Thanks Newvillefan !
I also went with Gold, whilst I think they are both great I just feel that Interpretations is missing something. There is only 11 songs and some are quite short. I think it would be better with at least another 5 songs....
if there are any others left that is !
In the "Make Your Own Kind Of Music" series, I think they performed songs for the letters C,K, and Y on all of the episodes. Some of the later ones were repeats but there are still probably over a dozen of the videos which haven't been released yet on dvd.

Gold--which I originally purchased in 1985, as the VHS-Tape Yesterday Once More
(the 1995 HK DVD includes I Need To Be In Love)
and, subsequently on the 40th Anniversary CD-set as a bonus DVD, with commentary
(it also includes I Need To Be In Love)--
holds many a fond memory with me.
Musically, it does span the gamut....although I never cared much for the Beechwood video.
And, I adore the Postman video--Karen is radiant !
On the other hand, I do greatly enjoy the Interpretations DVD, too bad it's too short.
Had it been added to--more videos--it surely would have been another 'hit'.
(After all, both Gold and the MPI-Close To You DVD's went on to sell 50,000 copies,
so a market was there.).
Unfortunately, I am unable to choose one over the other !

As GaryAlan said, it's hard to choose. Might I add that there's a Japanese LaserDisc version of INTERPRETATIONS that adds two tracks to the proceedings, "Ticket To Ride" and "Please Mr. Postman". These two are just ported over from GOLD, but they flesh out the shorter program.

If I had to pick one it would be GOLD, but most of us old-timers know it as YESTERDAY ONCE MORE.

I actually have "Gold" on DVD, plus I've got the VHS tape titled "Yesterday Once More" (which I believe was also released on Betamax and Laserdisc), as well as the VideoCD version that was released under the "Only Yesterday: Their Greatest Hits". Quite frankly, I find the VideoCD to look like the worst of all of them, as it is even softer than the VHS version.

I like gold. I was so excited when I saw this in Woolworths years ago. I remember I watched calling occupants as this was the first video of the Carpenters I saw. I watched gold so many times. Shame the other songs from the gold cd arnt on the gold DVD. Still , it's great to have on DVD

Without a Song did it for me. Interpretations. What a surprise that was on release day. I have the British and US.

I was living in Germany when this came out and I remember seeing the CD and DVD in a music store. When I looked at the back cover of each I noticed that firstly the track lists were different and secondly that there were two titles I'd never heard of, Without A Song and Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again. In that particular store you could put on a CD and listen to it via headphones and when I heard the opening track, I stood there mesmerised and couldn't believe what I was hearing. The vocals on that track remind me very much of those on Karen's solo track If I Had You. I bought the CD on the spot and rushed home with it. I later bought the DVD and was amazed to see how clever the video for the opening track was. It was a tantalising glimpse at a TV special I longed to see and which I got a few years later with the advent of download sites like the now-defunct isohunt and napster.

When I heard the other new track I was even more in love with that and that one remains in my top 5 Carpenters tracks to this day.

The other surprise of the collection was that From This Moment On was not the version from the Palladium album, but a whole new re-record, which was then further remixed the following year for the US version of the album.

Last edited:
I was living in Germany when this came out and I remember seeing the CD and DVD in a music store. When I looked at the back cover of each I noticed that firstly the track lists were different and secondly that there were two titles I'd never heard of, Without A Song and Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again. In that particular store you could put on a CD and listen to it via headphones and when I heard the opening track, I stood there mesmerised and couldn't believe what I was hearing. The vocals on that track remind me very much of those on Karen's solo track If I Had You. I bought the CD on the spot and rushed home with it. I later bought the DVD and was amazed to see how clever the video for the opening track was. It was a tantalising glimpse at a TV special I longed to see and which I got a few years later with the advent of download sites like the now-defunct isohunt and napster.

When I heard the other new track I was even more in love with that and that one remains in my top 5 Carpenters tracks to this day.

The other surprise of the collection was that From This Moment On was not the version from the Palladium album, but a whole new re-record, which was then further remixed the following year for the US versions of the album.
How thrilling.

I was living in Fresno at 16 working til 730p that night I left work early with just enough time to miss the opening A SONG FOR YOU intro and Without a Song.

I wish that Sweet Memory could be released in the USA so I could hear it and with a wider distribution it could be added to this list for discussion with an added video compilation, possibly from live and tv shows.

Craig

I live both DVDs but I wish Richard would cull the unreleased Carpenters music videos from Make Your Own Kind Of Music; Let Me Be The One etc., A Song For You from Bob Hope, We've Only Just Begun from Tom Jones London Bridge, Superstar from Carol Burnett Show, For All We Know from Andy Williams Show, Love Is Surrender and Close To You filmed at A&M, Merry Christmas Darling etc. There are a few more I can't think of right now but there's enough for another DVD release.

I live both DVDs but I wish Richard would cull the unreleased Carpenters music videos from Make Your Own Kind Of Music; Let Me Be The One etc., A Song For You from Bob Hope, We've Only Just Begun from Tom Jones London Bridge, Superstar from Carol Burnett Show, For All We Know from Andy Williams Show, Love Is Surrender and Close To You filmed at A&M, Merry Christmas Darling etc. There are a few more I can't think of right now but there's enough for another DVD release.
RichRd just included on the PBS DVD 'Christmas Memories' "Christmas Alphabet" from the first Christmas Special, and the non-seasonal (but previously unreleased song) "Make Me Laugh" from a Dorothy Hamill special.

For All We Know from The Andy Williams Show is on the Close To You: Remembering The Carpenters DVD. I don't know if it was on the earlier incarnations of this DVD, but it's on there in the version that was released at the same time as the CARPENTERS: THE COMPLETE SINGLES CD set from PBS a couple of years ago.

But I do like your wish list!

For me it won Gold because it was my first approach to carpenters in 2004 when I was 12 years old and more than anything it shows visually and musically all his career from the 69 'with Ticket to Ride until the 82' with Touch Me When We're Dancing :goodie::goodie:

Back
Top Bottom