Old A&M/CTi Album Cover Design (and old RCA logo) on new album

Michael Hagerty

Contributor
Cage The Elephant's "Unpeeled" comes out on July 28th. Here's the cover:

cte_unpeeled_cvr_c6921.jpg

Now that is Familiar Yet unique. I always liked the Way the A&M /CTI albums were designed I hope This artist has the decency to credit their inspiration to the people who originally designed them it would be nice as well as a nice tribute as well

Now that is Familiar Yet unique. I always liked the Way the A&M /CTI albums were designed I hope This artist has the decency to credit their inspiration to the people who originally designed them it would be nice as well as a nice tribute as well

I hope so, too, Bobberman. Sam Antupit's been dead for 14 years. If they credit him, they get a lot of respect in my book. The album's supposed to be released on July 28, but it's already on Spotify. Of course, that doesn't get you any look at the packaging other than the front cover. Wonder if it'll carry over onto the back, whether it will be a gatefold and whether they'd continue the tribute?

As for the album itself, it looks like they modeled it (in terms of color and logo placement) on Antonio Carlos Jobim's "Tide", which actually was a Creed Taylor produced A&M LP without the CTi imprint:

R-1174480-1327134709.jpeg.jpg

True I have this jobim album on a verve reissue cd but I give universal credit for being true to the original as well as reproducing the vintage A&M ochre label but yes Michael I Agree with you.

So what kind of music is this "Cage the Elephant"??? If I use the cover to judge I would assume it is very "out there." Maybe I should just youtube it...

--Mr Bill

Hmmm. A cross between" .R.E.M." and "Deathcab for Cutie," I'd say...

Apparently it's a double LP---on orange-colored and orange-scented vinyl:
20170621_145244_8261_995539.jpeg

What I can't tell is whether it's a gatefold cover and if so, whether the A&M/CTi theme carries over on the inside.

Looks like we might have to wait to find out if there's a gatefold and if the inside carries over the Sam Antupit design. While the CD and digital download dropped yesterday, the vinyl apparently isn't available until August 27.

Looks very promising if it's a gatefold then this qualifies as a Bona-fide tribute in my opinion almost.

Tide+-+Antonio+Carlos+Jobim+back.jpg
Yes, it does! They didn't copy the technique of carrying over the image front-to-back, but close. Really hoping they acknowledge Sam Antupit.

Tide+-+Antonio+Carlos+Jobim+back.jpg
Yes, it does! They didn't copy the technique of carrying over the image front-to-back, but close. Really hoping they acknowledge Sam Antupit.
I hope so too The work Sam Antupit deserves to be recognized as its what the cover art is influenced and inspired by

True. It's also not the first time it's been done. Jimac51 noted here at the Corner 14 years ago that he'd discovered a Don Sebesky album from 1984 on GNC Crescendo that mimicked the Sam Antupit design:

R-2827278-1302816392.jpeg.jpg

$(KGrHqR,!rgFIsKjBg2UBSSL-qsr)Q~~60_12.JPG

If I'm not mistaken, Tide was one of a small handful where the background color was not white. But instead, had a thin white border around the photo.

Here's another CTi with a slightly different layout:

upload_2017-8-30_11-1-46.png

Rudy: True. The others that didn't do the standard white jacket:

SP 3010: Richard Barbary: SOUL MACHINE
71C60pdcGmL._SL1500_.jpg

SP 3016: J&K (Kai Winding & JJ Johnson): BETWIXT AND BETWEEN
hqdefault.jpg

SP 3018: Walter Wanderley Set: WHEN IT WAS DONE (first pressings were reflective silver, later ones flat grey)
R-1907361-1381012910-5218.jpeg.jpg

Then, Milton Nascimento's COURAGE, followed by SP 3020: George Benson: TELL IT LIKE IT IS
949529.jpg

Beyond that, there were the borderless covers of Quincy Jones' WALKING IN SPACE and GULA MATARI and Antonio Carlos Jobim's TIDE (the album that spurred the thread).

Rudy: True. The others that didn't do the standard white jacket:

SP 3010: Richard Barbary: SOUL MACHINE
71C60pdcGmL._SL1500_.jpg

SP 3016: J&K (Kai Winding & JJ Johnson): BETWIXT AND BETWEEN
hqdefault.jpg

SP 3018: Walter Wanderley Set: WHEN IT WAS DONE (first pressings were reflective silver, later ones flat grey)
R-1907361-1381012910-5218.jpeg.jpg

Then, Milton Nascimento's COURAGE, followed by SP 3020: George Benson: TELL IT LIKE IT IS
949529.jpg

Beyond that, there were the borderless covers of Quincy Jones' WALKING IN SPACE and GULA MATARI and Antonio Carlos Jobim's TIDE (the album that spurred the thread).
It's seems A&M were trying to to the CTI Album designs differently over time but by the end of the Day it appears they were trying to break away from the usual album designs . Just my opinion of course

It (and the independent CTi) was the last gasp of corporate album art---it really kind of overlapped with the beginning of the era of the recording artist having control over the packaging, with the label logo shrunken and then moved to the back cover.

CTi still had a lot of nice album cover designs post-A&M. If I had time I'd paste a few here.

Back
Top Bottom