Chuck Mangione's "Hill Where The Lord Hides"

Captain Bacardi

Just found the original concert video for the 1970 performance of "Hill Where The Lord Hides". This concert was originally aired on a local PBS station in the Rochester area and eventually released on Mercury as Friends & Love. You'll also see a young Gerry Niewood and Steve Gadd. I wish they had the entire concert available.

Cool footage! :thumbsup: Agreed, I'd like to see the entire concert.

Chuck needs conducting lessons though. :laugh:

One of my favorite Mangione classics and i agree i would love to see the whole concert. It's Early Chuck Mangione at his best.

I have this Cd which replaced a worn vinyl copy and the overall feeling of the album to me was similar to mangione's other live Albums he did over the years Except the songs were previously released in studio form But to me it is still a gem i especially like the extended length version of "Chase The Clouds Away". With a excellent Grant Geissman Guitar solo.

Ugh! I thought Geissman's solo was horrible! He seemed more intent in seeing how many notes he could play is a short period of time. There was no flow to it, just a bunch of rambling. I love the song "Clouds", but that solo ruined the song IMO. I saw Mangione play several times, and each time Geissman would play a zillion notes on every solo. Even my guitar buddies were like "What in the hell is he doing?"

Ugh! I thought Geissman's solo was horrible! He seemed more intent in seeing how many notes he could play is a short period of time. There was no flow to it, just a bunch of rambling. I love the song "Clouds", but that solo ruined the song IMO. I saw Mangione play several times, and each time Geissman would play a zillion notes on every solo. Even my guitar buddies were like "What in the hell is he doing?"

I kinda feel that way about Grant Geissman's solo on the live version of "Land of Make Believe" from AN EVENING OF MAGIC (Live at the Hollywood Bowl).

Well Say what you will about Grant Geissman to each his own However He has done much better since those days with his Solo career I am fortunate to have several of his CD s from 1987 to 1995 I sadly lost track of him after that but I heard these days he's doing more straight ahead jazz. And is still playing

Well Say what you will about Grant Geissman to each his own However He has done much better since those days with his Solo career I am fortunate to have several of his CD s from 1987 to 1995 I sadly lost track of him after that but I heard these days he's doing more straight ahead jazz. And is still playing
Don't get me wrong. General Grant did some awesome solos on Chuck Mangione's albums. I just felt that the particular performance from "Hill Where The Lord Hides" wasn't one of them.
That being said, his solos on the original "Feels So Good" were almost legendary in the fusion world of the late 70s. Ridiculously good. Same can be said for his solos on the original "Hide And Seek", "Give It All You Got" and "You're The Best There Is" (among others) are downright phenomenal, IMHO.

Don't get me wrong. General Grant did some awesome solos on Chuck Mangione's albums. I just felt that the particular performance from "Hill Where The Lord Hides" wasn't one of them.
That being said, his solos on the original "Feels So Good" were almost legendary in the fusion world of the late 70s. Ridiculously good. Same can be said for his solos on the original "Hide And Seek", "Give It All You Got" and "You're The Best There Is" (among others) are downright phenomenal, IMHO.
Agreed after all that's how General Grant got started on his way

Correction: It just occurred to me that I complained about the wrong performance. It was Grant's solo on "Land of Make Believe" that I didn't care for, not "Hill Where The Lord Hides".

Back
Top Bottom