NPR's greatest albums made by women(?) ASFY #126

Pardon me if this has already been mentioned. I have a little problem with saying this album was made by Karen, but I guess they mean she's the primary vocalist on the album. Of course, I would rank it much higher.

The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women
They got their facts wrong here. Karen didn't play bass at all on the 'A Song for You' album.

I think that Marianne Faithfull's 'Broken English', on this snippet of the countdown, is also a great album, but, obviously, in a different way.

Yes, it does seem a bit strange that they state that the 'A Song For You' album was made by a woman.

One of the flimsier suggestions on this list is that Cindy Wilson and Kate Pierson, of The B52's, 'made' the group's 1979 album, 'The B52's'.

A more worthy inclusion on this list of records 'made by women' is Kate Bush's 'Hounds of Love', given that Bush conceived this concept album, wrote all the songs, arranged most of the sections, played the keyboards, produced the project, organised and directed the diverse groups of musicians that she integrated from world-music circles across different countries and cultures, had a hand in the art design and directed some of the videos linked to the LP. I used to love this album when I was young but have gone off it a bit over the years.

I read the descriptions of some of the albums I know on this countdown and there are a lot of incorrect 'facts'.

Interesting that your opinion of what is 'good' is influenced by your locale. A Top 150 albums list from Germany would have lots of German albums on it, from Japan would have lots of Japanese albums, from Australia would have lots of Australian albums.

What kind of order are these? Well at least Karen made the list but 126? I don't have time to look through all those pages but I wonder where Olivia placed?

What kind of order are these? Well at least Karen made the list but 126? I don't have time to look through all those pages but I wonder where Olivia placed?
None of Olivia's albums made the list! Neither did ABBA, the Corrs, Amy Grant, Melissa Manchester - even a huge star like Celine Dion wasn't recognized! But Britney Speers, and (gasp) Yoko Ono were. :rolleyes:

None of Olivia's albums made the list! Neither did ABBA, the Corrs, Amy Grant, Melissa Manchester - even a huge star like Celine Dion wasn't recognized! But Britney Speers, and (gasp) Yoko Ono were. :rolleyes:

Murray, thinking of you today...:D

Lol. Someone joins her on the last note and imitates her sound fairly well. It would never have occurred to me to try to harmonise with that sound. This clip shows the antithesis of Carpenters' perfect harmony vocals. :)

Last edited:
I forgot all about No Secrets, Carly Simon... Loved that album... Great acknowledgement of KC here - thanks for posting!

Back
Top Bottom