Anyone read this?

Decades Network Brings Back Ed Sullivan:

"The Best of The Ed Sullivan Show
will highlight select performances and Ed Sullivan bits taken from the most memorable milestones of The Ed Sullivan Show. Presenting two 30-minute episodes each weekday in three convenient time periods, every show features a “who’s who” of pop culture icons, entertainers and performers, including The Rolling Stones,
The Jackson 5, Judy Garland, Carol Burnett, Harry Belafonte, Joan Rivers, The Carpenters, Tony Bennett, Lena Horne, George Carlin, Ella Fitzgerald, The Temptations, The Doors, Richard Pryor, Elvis Presley, Liza Minnelli, George Burns,
The Beatles, and many more."

More:
Decades Network Brings Back Ed Sullivan | TVNewsCheck.com

Aaaah! I was already going to watch this to try and catch the Beatles appearance, but if the Carpenters are on it, I'm sold. :D (hoping they actually appear and this isn't like Carol Burnett.)

"Decades" did not mention Karen's death date (Feb 4th) this year. I was disappointed. Considering that Karen was a major music star and the fact that her passing brought the whole anorexia issue to the spotlight, it seems to me she should have been recognized...This "network" seems to thrive on mentioning important dates in history, they did a whole segment on Madonna (I think it was her birthday), but they couldn't give a mention of Karen, or The Carpenters for that matter...

On a different topic, I've just joined imgur.com so am hoping to work out how to post some photos and articles, when I've got time. I hope any dummy can do it.....otherwise I won't be able to work it out.

u3CPn

u3CPn
Carpenters Souvenir I'm making a bit of a hash of this. Here is a link to a photo I took this morning of 'Special Souvenir' book with pull-out poster, 36 pages, published by Phoebus Publishing, London, UK, around 1976, and also available in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa at the time.

This is my first attempt at posting links to my photos. I hope to make better posts and take better photos as I get more used to the whole thing.

Already attracting a not funny comment about eating on I imgur.com. Have to work out whether I can keep images private there and still link them to this forum.

Last edited:
Heh! Ansett Airlines

We had booked a trip to Australia for October of 2001, our first-ever trip there. Air New Zealand was the big flight to Sydney from the US, and then all of our little flights within Australia were to be on Ansett.

Days before we left, we got notice that Ansett was no longer flying. They were going out of business, so we had to attempt to rebook on Qantas, which was the only game in town at that point. We had to shuffle a few dates and cities around that too. Not fun.

Heh! Ansett Airlines
We had booked a trip to Australia. Days before we left, we got notice that Ansett was no longer flying. They were going out of business, so we had to attempt to rebook on Qantas, which was the only game in town at that point. We had to shuffle a few dates and cities around that too. Not fun.
Seems the kangaroo was never meant to fly. (That was Ansett's insignia - 'The Flying Kangaroo').

Then we had Tiger Airlines. Tigers are no better at flying than kangaroos were. Let's not even mention Jetstar. Virgin and Qantas at least fly - roughly when they are scheduled to fly, too!!

Today, the Decades channel is running at 12:30, 5:30, and 11:30pm (all EST) the Ed Sullivan show with "Performances by Count Basie, Totie Fields, Nancy Sinatra, Tony Bennett, George Burns, Robert Klein, and the Carpenters".

Today, the Decades channel is running at 12:30, 5:30, and 11:30pm (all EST) the Ed Sullivan show with "Performances by Count Basie, Totie Fields, Nancy Sinatra, Tony Bennett, George Burns, Robert Klein, and the Carpenters".
Returning to my post earlier, I didn't see them in this episode- was rather bummed. I actually did see them on an episode running on the 14th- they were the first performance. I've seen that footage a dozen times at least and was still mesmerized. As I was able to save it to DVR, I watched it several more times. :D

Rolling Stone Magazine Is Up for Sale
Rolling Stone, Once a Counterculture Bible, Will Be Put Up for Sale
Rolling Stone Magazine Is Up for Sale

And, again, re-reading:
July 4, 1974
"The Carpenters, Up From Downey "...still one of the best for insights.....
Rolling Stone's cover story features The Carpenters - Rolling Stone

Madness.

Digby Diehl, Collaborator on Memoirs of the Famous, Dies at 76

" Digby Diehl, a journalist and author who collaborated on celebrity autobiographies
with Esther Williams, Natalie Cole, Patti LuPone and more, died on Tuesday in Los Angeles.
He was 76
."

Here, from Randy's book,Yesterday Once More, Digby Diehl with Carpenters on tour in 1971:
Richard...." I'd like to do a choral album..." (Page 28).
" Diehl was informed by Sherwin Bash that his real job was to get Karen out from behind the drums..." (Page 25).
Diehl later recalled, Richard remained rigid and uptight on stage, " I never got him out from behind the piano."

Digby Diehl, Collaborator on Memoirs of the Famous, Dies at 76

" Digby Diehl, a journalist and author who collaborated on celebrity autobiographies
with Esther Williams, Natalie Cole, Patti LuPone and more, died on Tuesday in Los Angeles.
He was 76
."

Here, from Randy's book,Yesterday Once More, Digby Diehl with Carpenters on tour in 1971:
Richard...." I'd like to do a choral album..." (Page 28).
" Diehl was informed by Sherwin Bash that his real job was to get Karen out from behind the drums..." (Page 25).
Diehl later recalled, Richard remained rigid and uptight on stage, " I never got him out from behind the piano."

Recently, I watched their 1974 Budokan concert documentary, this time all the way through. I was amazed at how hard Karen worked during this concert. She indeed was the star, focal point, heart, and soul of the act. Though awkward at first (notably, her lip-synced numbers on MYOKOM in 1971) it was evident in this concert footage that she had developed into a polished professional; relaxed and confident, interacting well with the audience (example; during Jambalaya). Richard was never going to be able to excite audiences the way that Karen could. According to Schmidt's book, then boyfriend Terry Ellis, was dumbfounded at the lack of excitement at a typical Carpenters concert, and suggested to Karen how to work an audience (such as waving at people). She is doing exactly that during this concert. Though a lot of fans don't like the fact that Karen was removed from her drum kit, it had to be done IMHO. Her beauty, charisma, and likeability had to be showcased.

Story:
Why Capitol Records' vinyl master Ron McMaster is busier than ever

Why Capitol Records' vinyl master Ron McMaster is busier than ever:

"Yet the surge in interest has provided new business to mastering engineers,
not only for Capitol but for unsung heroes like Los Angeles-based Bernie Grundman ,
and London-based company Metropolis Mastering. "
-----
" McMaster, by reputation, is an expert at balancing dynamics (meaning, changes in loudness)
and making sure the music sounds the way the artists intended. "

Regards Stone Temple Pilots:
"Wow. What a memory. You were just five?
Just five, The year I saw my first concert. My folks took me to see the Carpenters at what’s now called the PNC Arena in New Jersey. What an amazing show. Karen Carpenter, front and center. When STP plays there today, and I sit in that dressing room – I think about the Carpenters being there when I was a kid. I really feel it. " (Rober DeLeo)

Read More: Stone Temple Pilot’s Robert DeLeo Shares His ’70s Childhood Memories, Photos (EXCLUSIVE) | Stone Temple Pilot’s Robert DeLeo Shares His ’70s Childhood Memories, Photos (EXCLUSIVE)

Regards Stone Temple Pilots:
"Wow. What a memory. You were just five?
Just five, The year I saw my first concert. My folks took me to see the Carpenters at what’s now called the PNC Arena in New Jersey. What an amazing show. Karen Carpenter, front and center. When STP plays there today, and I sit in that dressing room – I think about the Carpenters being there when I was a kid. I really feel it. " (Rober DeLeo)

Read More: Stone Temple Pilot’s Robert DeLeo Shares His ’70s Childhood Memories, Photos (EXCLUSIVE) | Stone Temple Pilot’s Robert DeLeo Shares His ’70s Childhood Memories, Photos (EXCLUSIVE)
Wow! With my desire to have seen them live still present in my body, I can really feel his excitement as he crafts his recollection and for a moment I can share in his excitement. He chose specific words that paint a reflective memory as if caught in a watercolor. I’m going to watch a video clip of one of their concerts before the night is up!

Tom Petty Article with mention of Karen....
"....So I sat there and remembered how when I was a little kid, we’d listen to The Carpenters.
My mother was a huge fan. Karen’s voice, she used to say, was like magic.
That was true. All I knew was I had never heard anyone else sing like that and I still haven’t to this day."
But I also remember my mom telling me how shocked she was when Karen Carpenter died.
It was a scary thing I couldn’t comprehend as a kid
."
Learning to fly without Tom Petty

G:
I can only add that even as an adult I can not comprehend Karen's loss......

8 Famous Guitar Tones That Were Recorded Straight Into the Board

November 6,2017
8 Famous Guitar Tones That Were Recorded Straight Into the Board
" Today, we're exploring eight more instances where, whether accidental or intentional,
the direct injection technique happened to be just the ticket to achieve these diverse sounds."
----
The Carpenters - "Goodbye to Love" (solo)

"....No doubt the sudden switch from schmaltz to shred lost The Carpenters a few fans,
but it also ushered in an era of guitars wailing over emotional piano chords that lives
on in massive arenas to this day."

This morning, my MSN homepage had a link to a website called "24/7 Wall St" with a story from August call "Best Band From Each State". Carpenters were listed as the best from my home state of Connecticut.

For those who read/understand French,
there is a newly-published book on Karen Carpenter
I just checked and they have it just down the street. Buying it today, thanks for the tip. I'm in a phase of reading musical bios (in French if possible) - I'm just finishing up Anna McGarrigle's account of the McGarrigle Sisters upbringing and early career ("McGarrigle Family Album") and it's great. I'll give a review of the KC book.

Back
Top Bottom