Monday Monday A&M single 1028

TallPaulInKy

Was the Tijuana Brass single Monday Monday ever issued? I can't find any reference to it on the internet or ebay.

I unfortunately do not have the old TJB singles discography reposted as of yet (which @Steve Sidoruk provided to me many, many years ago), but a quick check of Discogs does not show that title.

Give me a few days and I'll pull out my single and scan a picture of the label.

If nothing else, I'll scan it and add it to discogs where it seems to be missing.

I'm not sure of the actual history of the single. 45Cat has it as being released in February of 1969 with a b-side of "Treasure Of San Miguel". Then a month later, March of 1969, "Zazuiera" was released with the very same b-side, "Treasure Of San Miguel". That seems odd to me that two singles would be released so close to each other.

I know that 1969 was a tough year for A&M, and looking at the list of singles they did put out, it was as if they were throwing things against the wall to see what would stick.

I clearly remember "Zazuiera" coming out and getting airplay on the radio, but I couldn't swear to "Monday Monday" getting the same treatment. Perhaps it went unnoticed as it had been an album cut the previous year, whereas "Zazueira" was a second single from the forthcoming WARM album (after "To Wait For Love").

I clearly remember "Zazuiera" coming out and getting airplay on the radio, but I couldn't swear to "Monday Monday" getting the same treatment.

I checked the "ARSA" website of radio station surveys and "Monday Monday" does not appear on any radio survey in the collection. Not even as a HB "Hit Bound" which is usually a future 'pick hit." I was a DJ at that time and we did play "Zazuiera" and it charted in Billboard (Number 9 on the Adult chart). I've always liked that song.

The radio station (KGHL in Billings) we used to listen to at work would play a lot of Herb, Sergio, Carpenters, Bacharach and other A&M songs. I remember hearing TJB tunes like "Ob La Di," "Slick," "This Guy," and others, but I don't remember them ever playing "Monday, Monday." I probably would have noticed because I loved that song (and still do).) The programmer at that station must have been a Herb fan!

I don't think I ever heard Monday, Monday on Top 40 AM radio at all.

I remember that Zazuiera was getting some radio airplay in the spring of 1969.

Slick was getting some airplay as a "lead in" song to the hourly news reports on AM radio - I think that may have been shortly after Beat of the Brass was released and on through the rest of 1968.

This Guy's In Love With You from the summer of 1968 was the last Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass song that I can remember receiving a lot of AM radio airplay. After that, I don't remember hearing much Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass on the radio at all in 1969. Seems to me that after This Guy's.... Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass faded rather quickly from the airwaves.

I was an active AM listener in the 1968 - 1969 era ( I was a senior in high school at the time), and I am sure I would remember anything different.

I remember hearing "Zazuiera" on NBC Weekend Monitor with Gene Rayburn leading up to the top of the hour radio newscast. Instrumentals were handy for that.

45 Cat shows that while the US release of 'Monday Monday' had 'Treasure of San Miguel' as the B-side, the German release had 'Thanks For The Memory'. But no sign of there ever having been a UK release.

Well, it turns out that I don't have this "Monday, Monday" single either. Apparently, when I included it in my TjB Singles playlists, I simply used the "Monday, Monday" mono mix from the mono copy of THE BEAT OF THE BRASS. I guess the search goes on, eh?

I believe it went unreleased for whatever reason and they went with "Zazuiera" (again with "ToSM" as the b-side). I suspect it may have been because they decided to stop focusing on the TBotB album and associated TV Special and start focusing on the next album... At least that's how I've always interpreted it...

--Mr Bill

Thanks Steve.

Well there it is. A catalog number without a release.

Strictly for fun, as a capper to this thread (and to tweak the Googlebots!), here's my attempt at creating what a Monday, Monday 45 single label might have looked like:

MondayMondayMockUp.jpg

Strictly for fun, as a capper to this thread (and to tweak the Googlebots!), here's my attempt at creating what a Monday, Monday 45 single label might have looked like:

MondayMondayMockUp.jpg
SPOT ON! And I think it would have been a unique version similar to all the other previous single versions of album tracks.

And for more fun, could this be what it would have sounded like?

This has to be from the very rare Mono version of the BOTB LP I notice several differences between this version and the stereo lp version not as much trumpet in the mid point or close to the fadeout at the end but the the single would have had much more compression but nonetheless this is great thanks Harry for sharing that fun little post.

Back
Top Bottom