⭐ Official Review [Album]: "HORIZON" (SP-4530)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 51 49.0%

Votes: 36 34.6%

Votes: 13 12.5%

Votes: 2 1.9%

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
Carpenters Horizon Album Review
Cashbox June 21, 1975

Carpenters%20Horizon%20Cashbox%20Review%20June%2021%201975.jpg~original

I find it strange that the review lists Eventide as a top cut, when it's identical to Aurora :laugh:

I always thought the title of this Carpenters album might have been inspired by the jazz album series A&M introduced in early 1975:
"From 1974–1978 the (Horizon Records) label became a subsidiary imprint of A&M Records for issuing jazz." - Wikipedia

Hi Chris May, with Karen Carpenter credited as Associate Producer of HORIZON what area of focus would she be involved in ....perhaps?

Hi Chris May, with Karen Carpenter credited as Associate Producer of HORIZON what area of focus would she be involved in ....perhaps?

One search online brought up this description of record producer:

"A producer has many roles that may include, but are not limited to, gathering ideas for the project, selecting songs or session musicians, proposing changes to the song arrangements, coaching the artist and musicians in the studio, controlling the recording sessions, and supervising the entire process".

There's no evidence that Karen ever did any of that, aside from maybe voicing her opinions on songs or arrangements. I always thought the credit was a token gesture to her from her brother and/or the label.

Yeah Stephen, I too saw it as a token gesture. Yet she received that token on several albums. I've gleaned over millenia that RICHARD had his fingers in everything. Right down to Karens phrasing. Just would like to think Karen Carpenter had a say in the mix at some point. No wonder she enjoyed her solo sessions.

I've seen references to Karen being the one who contacted some of the musicians invited to play on their albums (such as calling Tony Peluso, before he joined the touring band, to contribute to "Goodbye to Love"). I assumed that was her main contribution, although it could also refer to her serving as another set of ears after Richard had guided the principle tracking. I doubt it was entirely token.

I've seen references to Karen being the one who contacted some of the musicians invited to play on their albums (such as calling Tony Peluso, before he joined the touring band, to contribute to "Goodbye to Love"). I assumed that was her main contribution, although it could also refer to her serving as another set of ears after Richard had guided the principle tracking. I doubt it was entirely token.
Good answer. I wonder what specifics in a studio setting that Karen had her hands associated with.

Wow. I've never once thought of Karen's Associate Producer role as token. Although Richard called the shots, Karen was completely involved with the creative process. As the years went by, I think her role increased due to Richard's illness, plus the fact that she knew so much more about the ways of the studio by that point. An example of this would be her solo album, in which she definitely played a big part in song selection, etc.

No doubt Karen also had quite a lot of input with the vocal stacking/harmonies (she had a say on Hurting Each Other, for example). Also, being a drummer, she must have had input on the "sound" of the rhythm section and how the drums were mixed perhaps.

After watching Ron McMaster speak about mastering (his last name says it all!), I had a thought about Horizon. I wondered if its total (short) length had anything to do with Richard; purposely limiting its length so that it could be mastered with the very best sound.

Doing some desktop publishing today for a job due in two weeks. Tune on i-tunes, and Horizon comes up. What beautiful sounding collection. Karen sounds amazing! With Richard's powerful arrangements, they created a modern masterpiece.
I think that HORIZON was the best album they created during Karen’s lifetime. The next best was CHRISTMAS PORTRAIT.

I listened to HORIZON twice yesterday. One time original vinyl followed by the quad HORIZON. Somehow Solitaire was replayed 4 times. Impeccable vocals. So impressed was I yet again. So much so that I'm spinning HORIZON vinyl this instant as I write. Happy on the synthesizer. I'm Caught Between Goodbye and I Love You. Omgoodness...gotta dash kids.

Me....listening to...
I Can Dream Can't I,
all I can say is I really love this song, the arrangement, the vocals.....
Horizon might be plodding to certain folks,
but, it's another Carpenters' album which I listen to from beginning to end--
no skipping......superb.....

Me....listening to...
I Can Dream Can't I,
all I can say is I really love this song, the arrangement, the vocals.....
Horizon might be plodding to certain folks,
but, it's another Carpenters' album which I listen to from beginning to end--
no skipping......superb.....

'I Can Dream...' is a great song, but the CD era has for me made Horizon even more plodding than it would have been on vinyl/cassette. Having 'I Can Dream...' followed by 'Solitaire' is way too much slow together.

...it's another Carpenters' album which I listen to from beginning to end--no skipping......superb.....

@GaryAlan, I totally agree with your assessment of this great song!

Funny anecdote: Last night I was listening to "I Can Dream Can't I," a song I've played countless times before (over 42+ years). It begins, "As we eye the blue horizon's bend." And then suddenly, BINGO! :idea: "Horizon!" "Horizon!" Whether an intended link to the album's title or a mere coincidence, I never made the connection before now. Could I really be this clueless for this many years? (Just a rhetorical self-analytical question. Please let's not make this point a discussion thread.... :) )

Last edited:

Funny anecdote: Last night I was listening to "I Can Dream Can't I," a song I've played countless times before (over 42+ years). It begins, "As we eye the new horizon's bend." And then suddenly, BINGO! :idea: "Horizon!" "Horizon!" Whether an intended link to the album's title or a mere coincidence, I never made the connection before now. Could I really be this clueless for this many years? (Just a rhetorical self-analytical question. Please let's not make this point a discussion thread.... :) )

You're not alone. Until I read your statement here, I never caught it either. What's ironic about this is HORIZON has always been my favorite Carpenters album. "I Can Dream, Can't I" was always my least favorite track, though. Don't get me wrong. It's not a 'bad' song, but it's just a bit too syruppy for my taste. So I usually skip over it.

You're not alone. Until I read your statement here, I never caught it either. What's ironic about this is HORIZON has always been my favorite Carpenters album. "I Can Dream, Can't I" was always my least favorite track, though. Don't get me wrong. It's not a 'bad' song, but it's just a bit too syruppy for my taste. So I usually skip over it.
Thanks for letting me know that I'm not alone, @toeknee4bz! At least, in your case, you haven't played the song as often... But we do agree that it's an outstanding album!

Funny anecdote: Last night I was listening to "I Can Dream Can't I," a song I've played countless times before (over 42+ years). It begins, "As we eye the new horizon's bend." And then suddenly, BINGO! :idea: "Horizon!" "Horizon!" Whether an intended link to the album's title or a mere coincidence, I never made the connection before now. Could I really be this clueless for this many years? (Just a rhetorical self-analytical question. Please let's not make this point a discussion thread.... :) )

Whenever I want that ONE song that is the quintessential low-register, rich and smoky hot buttered rum Karen we all know and love, this is the one I play. Don't get me wrong, there are a plethora of recordings showcasing Karen as we all know, but this one for some reason sits at the top of the heap for me! :)

I see Karen with bright red lipstick, standing on stage in front of one of those old-style over-sized mic's, sexy 50's dress, singing in a smoke-filled early 1950's nightclub. The ones where everyone is wearing a suit.

Whenever I want that ONE song that is the quintessential low-register, rich and smoky hot buttered rum Karen we all know and love, this is the one I play. Don't get me wrong, there are a plethora of recordings showcasing Karen as we all know, but this one for some reason sits at the top of the heap for me! :)

100 % Agree!

I tend to believe the 'horizon' lyric in "I Can Dream, Can't I" was a reference to the album title, 'midway' through the record; "Aurora" representing the rising sun at the horizon line (at the opening of the album) and "Eventide" representing the sun setting at the horizon line (at the close of the album). Therefore, the album can be viewed as a complete day, from sunrise to sunset.

Back
Top Bottom