Carpenters "Collected" Vinyl Release

^^Thanks for the analysis, Wayne.
I was 'on the fence'....almost bought a copy yesterday,
thought I'd wait for forum member's input as they received their copies,
Now,
I gravitate to a ' no thanks'.......

I don’t wish to put anyone off buying it with respect, but I am for sure disappointed in the sonics, I just hope that the boxed set isn’t the same!.

The tambourine in Superstar usually is clean as a bell out of my right hand speaker it’s not the same on this pressing.

Wayne, to which other version of "Superstar" are you comparing this one? Remember that these are all original album mixes and I wonder if you are comparing to one of the latter-day remixes.

Wayne, to which other version of "Superstar" are you comparing this one? Remember that these are all original album mixes and I wonder if you are comparing to one of the latter-day remixes.

The version of “Superstar” on this is exactly the same version as the albums I have but for sure the Sound isn’t as dynamic as my Japanese pressing of “Carpenters”. I actually listened to three of the four sides this morning and it just doesn’t do it for me sonically, each to his own I suppose but this isn’t a patch on my originals. Also the album isn’t completely white it has areas of yellow within the white., maybe I’ve got a dud pressing?.

Would be good to get a wider evaluation of the Sonics on this one, don’t take my word for it but I am very subjective where Carpenters vinyl is concerned , some sounds absolutely amazing to me and others not so, one for the collection this is then?.

Going to bet Universal sent MOV a digital master, and not a very good one at that apparently. Dull and lifeless is exactly how some of Universal's Back to Black series sounded in the past. (I have a Zenyatta Mondatta that sounds terrible, almost exactly as @Wayne Crozier describes this Collected set--very dull, lacking life. Don't even get me started on the colossal wreck they made of Nirvana's Nevermind.)

Unless we hear otherwise, I am going to guess the upcoming album set will sound not much different. Now, if it's all-analog mastered by a reputable, known mastering engineer, that would make it a great value, and something worth owning. The fact that none of the sellers are mentioning anything about mastering as of yet, makes me wonder which corners are being cut. As I've said before, "because vinyl" is no reason to release a vinyl set. I'm not buying into a money grab, and I don't feel anyone else should either.

Colored vinyl is never perfect--any colored record I have always has some visible discolorations in it, even faint. As long as it sounds quiet during playback, that's more what I'm concerned about. MOV was the only one out of a couple dozen colored vinyl titles I've owned throughout my life that got it right.

Wish I could borrow one of these to give it a listen. Yet other than a couple of tracks on this set, I have no original vinyl to compare it to.

I have played it all and it’s the same on all four sides to me, very much as if they have used a copy of a copy of a copy. It’s sort
Of like when you borrow a cassette off a friend and duplicate it, never as good as the one your borrowed. I just don’t know what it is about this set but for sure it will be one I won’t play again. The cover image sort of mirrors what I’m hearing , unfocused and dull. The sad thing is I have been swept along on The euphoria of buying new vinyl expecting a sound revelation that unfortunately this time hasn’t materialised, I’ve even played one of my other albums to make certain I haven’t got a problem with my hearing !. I guess if you haven’t got any other pressings then it’s a good beginning or introduction to them on vinyl but you can get the originals for less than £1 in local charity stores which are better sounding. As I mentioned earlier though it’s my opinion, hopefully people won’t start slating me for having one?.

Last edited:
I guess if you haven’t got any other pressings then it’s a good beginning or introduction to them on vinyl but you can get the originals for less than £1 in local charity stores which are better sounding.
The last time I tried going to a local store to find a clean copy of A Song For You, I went through about a dozen that were all in unacceptable condition. It may be a regional thing (about half the used vinyl I have bought locally, in the past several years, has been unacceptably worn or noisy), but I really have trouble finding good, clean used vinyl here anymore. Nowadays I just look on Discogs for sealed copies of what I want to buy. Sealed is no guarantee of perfection, but at least it has not been mishandled, played on low quality turntables with a poor cartridge/stylus (which is where much of the wear comes from), etc.

There are other Collected titles. One is a Huey Lewis compilation that is also due out here tomorrow. Thing is, Huey was on a Columbia label, so even though it is digitally sourced, it should still sound good. Just about all of the Columbia/Legacy titles they have done sound pretty good.

Thanks Wayne for the review although not what I had hoped for it to be. However I'm still excited to give this a spin and enjoy it's limited edition packaging. Still waiting for its delivery...

My copy is number 002605 but I thought only 2000 were released in white or was it 3000?

Another copy of collected arrived today. It seems I didn't cancel my Amazon UK black vinyl copy. However Ive just opened it and its the white vinyl!
Did anyone else order from Amazon UK? I'm sure it said black vinyl???

So I just got word from Richard that he did not approve of this release, is very unhappy with the cover art as well and is on the phone with UMG. I'd asked him to sign a copy for me, and when he saw it he was anything but happy. Needless to say, the insight brought to light here via the rest of the thread is correct. This isn't something that Richard endorsed.

Just an FYI...

Holy cow. That's not good. I kind of wondered about that. Hopefully, if anything, he sees there's an interest in such products.
For me, it makes NO sense that there's never been a non-Japanese release of all of the albums in one box (save, the UK one).

So I just got word from Richard that he did not approve of this release, is very unhappy with the cover art as well and is on the phone with UMG. I'd asked him to sign a copy for me, and when he saw it he was anything but happy. Needless to say, the insight brought to light here via the rest of the thread is correct. This isn't something that Richard endorsed.

Just an FYI...
I sensed this and that's why I didn't jump at this one. I have excellent-playing original LPs; I'll be getting the vinyl box set mainly for the clean reproduced artwork.

I sensed this and that's why I didn't jump at this one. I have excellent-playing original LPs; I'll be getting the vinyl box set mainly for the clean reproduced artwork.

I do want to mention that the vinyl box LPs *were* approved of by Richard, as those should be a much better representation.

I had initially ordered the COLLECTED LP but decided to cancel the order after the initial reports, deciding to wait and see.

As an owner of the original vinyl, I'm just not excited about the upcoming set.

I had initially ordered the COLLECTED LP but decided to cancel the order after the initial reports, deciding to wait and see.

As an owner of the original vinyl, I'm just not excited about the upcoming set.

Richard did approve of the vinyl box however, even though he didn't necessarily oversee every single step of it, so I too am very curious. He's pretty meticulous with stuff, so for him to say that, there should be something positive in relation to, unlike the Collected comp.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's a good product for those who want and/or need it. The way I see it, there's not much point in releasing vinyl unless it's done correctly and sounds good. Otherwise, it's just a format.

So really it is a legitimate release in that the production company licensed the tracks from Universal, the owners of the Carpenters work, but it is not a Carpenters-approved release.

At least this was not an illegitimate release where the company didn’t even bother to get Universals permission, and just used the Collected CD’s for their masters (kind of like the Horizon-Radio Years releases).

Just an FYI...
Unapproved release?? Give 'em hell, Rich :laugh:

Reading this post, I got nervous for the box set and its individual LPs. Thank goodness those are approved-- hopefully they are better. Mr. May, thanks for setting the record straight. :D

Unapproved release?? Give 'em hell, Rich :laugh:

Reading this post, I got nervous for the box set and its individual LPs. Thank goodness those are approved-- hopefully they are better. Mr. May, thanks for setting the record straight. :D

Always happy to! Just wish I could get this information BEFOREHAND, but with crazy hit-or-miss schedules, sometimes nailing this stuff down is near impossible.

Richard looked over the entire set I sent him and was also unhappy with the "white" vinyl. Needless to say, whereas it is an official release as far as UMG is concerned (to paraphrase what @tomswift2002 said), Richard himself never actually signed off on it, nor would he have in this condition.

Yikes, I feel like I just bought a bootleg lol I wish we had known this prior to ordering. If nothing else it shows how hungry Carpenters fans are for material like this to order so quickly...can't fault us for ordering.

Back
Top Bottom