Carpenters "Collected" Vinyl Release

A cheaper option is new/used record stores. I have four I regularly haunt. The quality of used vinyl is graded and sold at $ 3.99. EZ find out of print CDs on original vinyl. A treat. Google Everyday Music Portland Oregon.
I offer this resource to those who yearn for the best of yore. Chances are I already bought them out. But they get merchandise daily. This is how I've Collected long before CarpenterS Collected. For the greater good I do hope that this import hasn't soured the listeners.

I've never been a huge fan of the remastered classics series, like what appeared on the Japan 35th and 40th box sets. For me some of the albums appeared muddied and Karen's vocal lead seemed buried in the mix. I never bought all the US remastered classics CDs when they were released, there were only a couple that I got, The Singles 69-73 and Close To You. Once I got the Japan box sets I felt no need to collect the rest.

I wonder if it's possible that we have got so use to hearing the remixes with the reverb, echo, loudness/brightness that we have forgot what the remastered classics series sounded like and what we're hearing on the Collected LPs are those original album mixes that have much less effect sound wise to the remixes.

For me, some of the albums from the remastered classics series on Cd (although original album mixes) don't have the same exact sound and dynamics as the original vinyl albums when they were originally released back in the 70's.

Just got mine this morning.

Resolution on the cover is not good, as others have mentioned.

Record two is pretty pristine white. Record one has grayish black streaks. Really almost looks like marble. Not what was expected but I don’t mind.

My booklet isn’t what I thought it would be. Cover if duo. Inside notes and Rolling Stone pic and then titles on back. Thought there would be more....

Wanted to really check the sound. VOTH was in the turntable. I️ listener a little and set the volume to a good full number. Then put on offering and listened a little. Side one is playing. I don’t have time to listen all the way through but it doesn’t seem bad. Tonight I plan to listen to a few songs from various albums and then listen immediately to the same song on the new album and compare.

Just some thoughts. Oh yes. Mine is #2962. I ordered in mid September.

Jonathan

Record two is pretty pristine white. Record one has grayish black streaks. Really almost looks like marble. Not what was expected but I don’t mind.

What’s going on with the quality of the vinyl pressings on this? Someone else reported yellow streaks in the white vinyl and your set has black streaks in it. Definitely not one for me after the general feedback I’ve read.

Perhaps someone who is more knowledgable about colored vinyl can chime in but from what I've read it's completely normal to see bleed over colors onto colored vinyl and does not effect sound. It happens when the machines were not fully cleaned out and hence the prior color leaves some traces onto the vinyl. For instance with Jonathan, he mentions grayish black streaks on his white vinyl, sounds like the machine was pressing regular black vinyl just before the white vinyl was pressed. From what I've read it doesn't effect sound and if someone thinks it does they can request a refund. It's not the fault of the seller, it's the pressing plant so refunding might be tricky.

Now the thing that doesn't make sense to me is that Jonathan's was pressed at #2962 that # is pretty far along from #1 when the white vinyl first pressed. I can understand maybe the first 100 having some bleed over but his # is pretty high, in fact the marketing notes say this was limited to white pressing of 3000 so his was almost the last of the last.

I still have not receive mine, argh!!

Just did some listening. Listened to each song of side one on my original vinyl and then immediately on the new album. I have become accustomed to the remixes over the years and even though I listen to my vinyl, it almost sounded strange on the originals. My vinyls are really clean and clear. Not sure I’ll do all sides, but I know i won’t tonight.

Set the volume to 14 and listening with headphones.

Color in the white vinyl didn’t affect the sound.

Ticket to Ride
Offering album purchased on eBay about 15 years ago.
Piano seemed softer
Karen seemed more forward.
Strings seemed equal
French horn seemed a little muffled.

Close to You
My album purchased new in 1984. Has the A&M white label
The “waa’s” seemed a little softer
Overall seemed a little warmer
One pop on the new album- the only song on side one that had any sound

We’ve Only Just Begun
Same album
To me it really had a more full, founder tone

For All We Know
My album purchased used in 1983 with the white label. Clean album
Bass drum seemed heavier
Karen seemed more forward

Rainy Days
Same album
Maybe overall softer
Seemed more crisp
The final “hanging around” was edgy on both

Superstar
Same album
Oboe seemed softer between verses
More reverb in voice
Heavier bass guitar.

Bless the Beasts
My album purchased new in 1983 has the white label
Softer sound at beginning
Heavier bass, more than on superstar
Voice seems a little pulled back
Organ seemed louder.

Personally I am happy I️ made this purchase. Haven’t listened to other sides yet. Might share my thoughts on those also.

I wish "Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again" had been included on this vinyl release, but happy to get Karen's solo "Still Crazy After All These Years" and Rich's "Karen's Theme"....found my copy $29 free shipping. It will take a while to get to me as it's shipping from Hollywood, California and I am in Columbus, Ohio!

I may spring for this release, only if I knew what versions/remixes were on it. One reason I enjoy the "Nation's Favourite" disc so much is that it offered several versions- variety between original and new (some I had never really heard before). If it's all run-of-the-mill contemporary mixes, I'll probably pass (even though it pains me, as I love to support Carpenters efforts whenever possible). Maybe the vinyl box set will bring album reissues- would buy a copy of "Lovelines" in a heartbeat :D
The LP's are being sold separately too, So I will probably buy a few of my faves and keep them sealed

So I just got word from Richard that he did not approve of this release, is very unhappy with the cover art as well and is on the phone with UMG. I'd asked him to sign a copy for me, and when he saw it he was anything but happy. Needless to say, the insight brought to light here via the rest of the thread is correct. This isn't something that Richard endorsed.

Just an FYI...
So basically it's an unauthorized release? I am glad to get one before they get yanked!

It's an official UMG release, but Richard had no idea of its inception. Not unauthorized, but definitely unapproved. :laugh:
I am now kinda leary, it's weird they used the LP version of "Yesterday Once More" with the car engines revving at the end. Universal must have sent them the masters but if Richard had been involved the mixes would have been better, I believe. I know Richard ensures that any authorized release will be top quality

Interesting to read all the views. I got mine but I am saving it for a vinyl Christmas with all the ABBA the Album associated releases and some Carpenters individual ordered lp's. A real 70's Christmas.
I still like the cover. Glad it's not the photo used on the Only Yesterday collection again. There must be thousands of photos for releases. It's a bit like those wayward Horizon cd releases with alternate covers and track listings.
If Richard signed one it's good enough for me. I know what all the songs sound like. It's going on a display shelf
I'd buy a 78 vinyl if it had Karen on it.

The weird thing about the revving engines on "Yesterday Once More" is that it would have been easy enough to remove that errant sound. The way that NOW & THEN is track-indexed on the Remastered Classic is what caused it. Instead of including the revving noise in the "Fun Fun Fun" track, they left it on the end of "Yesterday Once More".

Then, the compilers of ULTIMATE COLLECTION (COLLECTED) just grabbed the track as-is and threw it on their compilation.

I took the album version and chopped off the revving noises, then used a "studio fade" on the last few seconds of audio and it sounds like it should. The album version of the song is what I first heard, so sometimes I get nostalgic for that mix and can play my edit.

The weird thing about the revving engines on "Yesterday Once More" is that it would have been easy enough to remove that errant sound. The way that NOW & THEN is track-indexed on the Remastered Classic is what caused it. Instead of including the revving noise in the "Fun Fun Fun" track, they left it on the end of "Yesterday Once More".

Then, the compilers of ULTIMATE COLLECTION (COLLECTED) just grabbed the track as-is and threw it on their compilation.

I took the album version and chopped off the revving noises, then used a "studio fade" on the last few seconds of audio and it sounds like it should. The album version of the song is what I first heard, so sometimes I get nostalgic for that mix and can play my edit.

Yeah, sounds like a rush job for sure. Richard asked he if could hang on to my copy for a few more days to give the whole thing a solid overview. He obviously cares about the quality of this stuff so we'll see. It still blows my mind for whatever reason that some of this stuff gets put out without him having at lease SOME inkling of an idea. Again, this was certainly a legit release on the part of UMG, but as one-half of the Carpenters, one would think...just bizarre...

Yeah, sounds like a rush job for sure. Richard asked he if could hang on to my copy for a few more days to give the whole thing a solid overview. He obviously cares about the quality of this stuff so we'll see. It still blows my mind for whatever reason that some of this stuff gets put out without him having at lease SOME inkling of an idea. Again, this was certainly a legit release on the part of UMG, but as one-half of the Carpenters, one would think...just bizarre...

I don't know can you really say it was a rush job? Yes I agree that Richard should have been notified about this and even about Collected CD which it sounds like he wasn't aware of either. I look at it this way....UMG used the same master from the Collected CD set which happens to be the remastered classics series. We know that the revving of engines is part of YOM on the remastered classics. So UMG just handed over (or whoever) to the person that mastered this Rinus Hooning at Record Industry. The remastered classics masters. I may be off base but is it really Rinus Hooning job to change the masters he was given to remove something like the revving of engines to make it "sound" correct. I'm assuming he is just mastering the material he is given. So in a sense how can this be a rush job? It's more of a question, why were the remastered classics used on a set like Carpenters Collected? If Richard wasn't happy then when the CD's were released and didn't try to stop any further releases, why would he be surprised an LP was generated from the same masters of the CD Collected from years before. I guess I'm just dumbfounded in all this.

It's more of a question, why were the remastered classics used on a set like Carpenters Collected? If Richard wasn't happy then when the CD's were released and didn't try to stop any further releases, why would he be surprised an LP was generated from the same masters of the CD Collected from years before.

Totally agree! I think my point is that it was rushed in relation to the lack of attention to detail that could have been corrected before it was ever released the first time around. Then when you take that original master for the compilation and just keep reissuing it for a project like this one, it just exaggerates the problem. In addition, the photo resolution on the cover looks terrible as well (plus it's just not their best photo to begin with).

So I think if you're going to create a "wow" factor that includes audiophile grade vinyl, a number sequence for additional colored vinyl pressings, and a blown up cover photo, perhaps this compilation wasn't the one to do it with. Maybe that's a better way of looking at it. :)

He'd probably have a coronary...I'd hate to even think about it LOL
That comment makes me sad. Richard should be able to step in, read a bit, and hear all the wonderful accolades we give him in print. He should feel very proud of his contribution to American popular music and know how much his fans appreciate all he has done.

That comment makes me sad. Richard should be able to step in, read a bit, and hear all the wonderful accolades we give him in print. He should feel very proud of his contribution to American popular music and know how much his fans appreciate all he has done.

Well I think what I meant was, he doesn't like it when there's stuff floating around out there that for whatever reason (in his mind) isn't kosher. We toss around all kinds of information here (and elsewhere throughout cyberspace for that matter) that points to everything from bootlegs, to authorized (yet not Richard-approved) releases, etc. It doesn't take much to get him rattled, and he knows that about himself, so why would he want to subject himself to any of it? I totally understand that it may seem irrational, but just is what it is unfortunately.

OH, that I get. I thought you meant he didn't feel understood or appreciated. Chris, do you think he feels understood and appreciated?

Perhaps someone who is more knowledgable about colored vinyl can chime in but from what I've read it's completely normal to see bleed over colors onto colored vinyl and does not effect sound. It happens when the machines were not fully cleaned out and hence the prior color leaves some traces onto the vinyl. For instance with Jonathan, he mentions grayish black streaks on his white vinyl, sounds like the machine was pressing regular black vinyl just before the white vinyl was pressed. From what I've read it doesn't effect sound and if someone thinks it does they can request a refund. It's not the fault of the seller, it's the pressing plant so refunding might be tricky.

Now the thing that doesn't make sense to me is that Jonathan's was pressed at #2962 that # is pretty far along from #1 when the white vinyl first pressed. I can understand maybe the first 100 having some bleed over but his # is pretty high, in fact the marketing notes say this was limited to white pressing of 3000 so his was almost the last of the last.

I still have not receive mine, argh!!
I have purchased several Vinyl releases from Music On Vinyl. The quality is usually very high standards. From what I have read, they probably enlarged the CD cover to make the LP cover, which is really strange, they should have had access to high quality photos? As far as the versions used on the LP, they used which versions UMG sent them. Weird that they used the Now & Then LP version with the motorcycle revving....I still am excited to get a "new" Carpenters release on vinyl. The last new one I bought was in 1991 the UK "Only Yesterday". Looking forward to the 180 gram issues of their albums on November 17th. I wonder if the will be analogue (actual LP versions) or the remastered CD versions?

Back
Top Bottom