LP / 7" Artwork

Billy Rees

I've been collecting Carpenters picture sleeves (mostly 7" singles) for years, and as there were hardly any releases in the UK with them, most of them in my collection are from abroad... I think this 1970 LP from Germany is one of my favourites!

R-2826262-1438627929-3039.jpeg.jpg

Something I have noticed is that one of the 7" singles has two different titles!
On one sleeve has "Make Believe It's Your First Time" and on another "Make Believe It's The First Time"...

I've been collecting Carpenters picture sleeves (mostly 7" singles) for years, and as there were hardly any releases in the UK with them, most of them in my collection are from abroad... I think this 1970 LP from Germany is one of my favourites!

Thanks for your post, @Billy Rees! I have never seen that picture before...

Groovy early photo. I've never seen that one before. Thanks for sharing :)

That's an interesting sleeve shot for the 'We've Only Just Begun' single - presumably the photo's from 1969?

The UK was a bit behind other markets in giving singles picture sleeves - aside from the Christmas singles, I think 'Beechwood' and 'Make Believe...' were the first singles to get proper sleeves (I think it was the UK sleeve that gave the mistaken title 'Make Believe It's the First Time').

The Netherlands and Germany had picture sleeve singles much earlier than that, and of course Japan made a speciality out of them!

That's an interesting sleeve shot for the 'We've Only Just Begun' single - presumably the photo's from 1969?

The UK was a bit behind other markets in giving singles picture sleeves - aside from the Christmas singles, I think 'Beechwood' and 'Make Believe...' were the first singles to get proper sleeves (I think it was the UK sleeve that gave the mistaken title 'Make Believe It's the First Time').

The Netherlands and Germany had picture sleeve singles much earlier than that, and of course Japan made a speciality out of them!
I’ve got the UK version of the 1974 Santa Claus single that uses the exact same artwork as the North American 45.

My first picture sleeve I bought was For All We Know at a record fair many, many years ago...

R-5459170-1429817240-1839.jpeg.jpg

But my prize possession has to be the Spanish version of Sing that was recorded for release in Mexico...

91ID8QWph6L._SY679_.jpg

Of course, getting the Karen Carpenter/Magic Lamp single would be pretty damn awesome too! Lol

I’d venture to guess that picture was taken the very same day as the back cover of ‘Offering’. Karen changed her clothes, but Richard is wearing the same shirt and their hair is pretty identical to that photo.

I’d venture to guess that picture was taken the very same day as the back cover of ‘Offering’. Karen changed her clothes, but Richard is wearing the same shirt and their hair is pretty identical to that photo.

They are wearing the same outfits on the original For All We Know sheet music as well:

il_fullxfull.1129089282_699q.jpg

Last edited:
It's basically a slightly re-arranged version of the CLose To You album, with All Of My Life on there too!
Here's the back cover, which shows the tracklisting.

R-2826262-1438627931-8506.jpeg.jpg

Thanks for posting the back cover with tracklist :). So they added All Of My Life and removed Baby It’s You. Strange.

It's basically a slightly re-arranged version of the CLose To You album, with All Of My Life on there too!

My question about THAT issue of essentially the CLOSE TO YOU album, is what did they do with the segues that were on CLOSE TO YOU? For instance, is "I Kept On Loving You" the same as the clean-open single, or is there "residue" from its original segue with "Mr. Guder"?

How is the end of "Love Is Surrender" and the beginning of "Maybe It's You" handled being on separate sides?

just looking through some older threads and came across this, although it`s not that old :)

I like that cover myself and I`m also trying to get all or as many 7 inch picture covers as poss.
I bought this a few weeks back from spain and although it`s not very sharp, because the cover is textured, I like this one;

81.jpg

Which songs are on that single? The best that I can get for the Del Amor is “of love you only get” and “a love song”

They used a photo from 7 years earlier for AYGFLIALS? I was thinking it was from the CTY-Tan era (and I thought the title was two titles).

It’s because of the more complicated way that Spanish grammar works and where the verb is placed in the sentence. German is similar.

Anyway, the catalogue number on the top right of that sleeve is AMS5462 and a quick look online also confirms it is the single “All You Get From Love Is A Love Song”.

Carpenters - All You Get From Love Is A Love Song

Last edited:

The write up on the back is very interesting. First, there is the creative spelling of fantastic ("phantastic??" LOL!!). Second, it actually refers to the group as a QUINTET with Dan, Doug and Bob being counted as official members of the actual group (as opposed to just backing musicians). That's the first time I have ever seen that.

Back
Top Bottom