📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
The album art? It is what it is. Like they say, you can't make a silk purse out of a pig's ear, or...you can't polish a turd. :wink: If all they had to go on were scans of original album covers and innersleeves, they can't make them any better than the source. No amount of Photoshop expertise or trickery can cure that.

With the exception of that booklet type glitch, I thought they did a great job with the art. To go to the length of even getting paper textures and finishes as accurate as they did...that's impressive to me.

Yes, I'd have to agree Toolman. Though I'm only seeing these in pictures, I'm impressed with the labels I've seen, the fonts used, and the packaging. It's now gratifying to know that the company is going to make good on all of these bad pressings that have found their way to fans.

I just ordered the 180 gram pressing of "Lovelines"from eBay for $19.19 free shipping, as I can only afford to get one LP at a time. Once I get mine I will let you know about sound etc. Richard is going to be pissed about these shabby pressings. I have NEVER gotten a sealed 180 gram pressing that didn't sound new, but they're mostly import pressings, Eva Cassidy, Joey + Rory, Janis Joplin, etc

I'd love a time machine, to be able to go back and buy all of the records I missed the first time around!

Amen to that, I'd go to my local White Front or Gemco and purchase every copy of "Offering" I could get my hands on! :laugh:

Last edited:
The closer the U.K. release of this approaches the more I’m filled with apprehension that we will get exactly the same product ( flaws and all ), as you good folks have received in the USA?. Heaven knows how we will go about getting items replaced if the issues are as bad as had been reported extensively on the previous multitude of pages. Will they replace ours as well?, not as easy when there’s a ocean in between?.
I ask myself the following question?, why would they press them separately in Europe?. I realise the Beatles box sets were pressed in Europe and the USA but I cannot for the life of me imagine this will be the case?. If it is a matter of logistics and shipping box sets from the USA to the U.K. I would think that is cheaper to do then press at a European pressing plant?. A shipping container full of these box sets doesn’t cost the Earth to sort out. My bet is that they are one and the same and in transit across the Atlantic as I type this.
Don’t get me wrong I’d welcome a European pressing but why would they go to the expense of doing so?, if anyone agrees or disagrees then please be my guest and chip in with your thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sue
The closer the U.K. release of this approaches the more I’m filled with apprehension that we will get exactly the same product ( flaws and all ), as you good folks have received in the USA?. Heaven knows how we will go about getting items replaced if the issues are as bad as had been reported extensively on the previous multitude of pages. Will they replace ours as well?, not as easy when there’s a ocean in between?.

Well, worst (or best, depending on how you look at it) case scenario is that UMe will delay the release, or at the very least narrow this down to a specific run of vinyl pressings and intervene before Amazon UK receives their stock. I will remain in touch with Matt at Universal as things progress to gain further insight and information, which I will pass along accordingly.

Amen to that, I'd go to my local White Front or Gemco and purchase every copy of "Offering" I could get my hands on! :laugh:
Yeah for 7.99 too what a steal lol I remember saving my allowance each week for cutting grass so I could buy Olivia's LP If You Love Me Let Me Know at the local record store in the mall. Those were the days. I get a kick out of seeing LPs on eBay selling for mega dollars with an original sticker for $7.99 from some record store or department store lol and now I'm paying 4 x's that.

Well, worst (or best, depending on how you look at it) case scenario is that UMe will delay the release, or at the very least narrow this down to a specific run of vinyl pressings and intervene before Amazon UK receives their stock. I will remain in touch with Matt at Universal as things progress to gain further insight and information, which I will pass along accordingly.

Thanks Chris, If you do find out if they are exactly the same please let others know to hopefully prepare us for what has already been widely commented upon herein!. Optimistically though if they pressed and found out a certain batch were damaged then maybe the issue will be rectified before they send a shed load of box sets over to the European fans.
I guess I can always put my pristine Uk copies in the nice new sleeves if they are that bad!!. But hopefully all’s well that ends well?.

I’m guessing that it isn’t feasible to stop what has already been sent out to the U.K. sellers from being dispatched I bought mine from spin cd here in the U.K. and I don’t think they have as much clout as Amazon U.K. if there are issues. Fingers crossed there won’t be though?.

Last edited:
Yeah for 7.99 too what a steal lol I remember saving my allowance each week for cutting grass so I could buy Olivia's LP If You Love Me Let Me Know at the local record store in the mall. Those were the days. I get a kick out of seeing LPs on eBay selling for mega dollars with an original sticker for $7.99 from some record store or department store lol and now I'm paying 4 x's that.

Ahhh those good old days.

Universal have created an extremely negative outcome with this vinyl release, it seems that no lessons have been learned from other previous Universal vinyl releases. The expectations were very high, this release was marketed with a stamp of approval. No amount of PR will replace the damage that has been done.

If all they had to go on were scans of original album covers and innersleeves, they can't make them any better than the source. No amount of Photoshop expertise or trickery can cure that.

If that’s the case then why did the album covers end up having the dotted appearance? Surely if the original artwork was lost they could have either taken a photo from another source or scanned a mint copy of the original album cover.

Having all the original albums in pretty good shape, I did not intend to open the Box Set at this time. However, after reading the reviews and seeing the pictures, I decided that I needed to in order to return any defective discs.
It looks like I am one of the lucky ones! My copies are very clean, no scuffs, no debris or other matter on the discs, and the hole punches are clean with little disruption to the disc label. I hope they sound as good as they look.

I have a question. Has anyone played Made in America yet to determine if the moog synthesizer is present on Those Good Old Dreams like the original MIA LP? It was missing from the CD.

I see that no one has answered your question and I would like to know that answer as well, unfortunately as I explained before there is so much plastic in my hole punch that it literally will not go down on my turntable. So I can't tell you. Perhaps someone who has this can chime in because I would like to know this answer as well.

I asked that same question on page 27 of this thread. :) I asked because I wanted to know if this new release was exactly 100% faithful to the original LPs. I guess if it were, then it would also have the sped up songs on side one of the SINGLES 1969-1973 LP, since that's how it was originally.

So while I'm waiting for my replacement set....I do have the answer for you on the 2017 The Singles 69-73 LP, it does match the original 70's LP, the trilogy is the sped up version.

This has brought to light some interesting information. If we are all so convinced that the mastering on this 2017 LP set is from the Remastered Classics masters than why is this trilogy from the Singles 69-73 LP the sped up version. We know that Richard fixed this and slowed it down to a more normal speed for the 98 remastered classics. So the masters for this 2017 The Singles 69-73 LP is not from the remastered classics series masters. Chris May or Jared or anyone else who has this do you agree with me? I'm hearing the sped up version which matches the original LP.

I don’t mind having TRR and not Offering, but it would have been cool to have an empty Offering jacket in the set

It would have been very cool to make the album cover "reversible," meaning it could be folded one way to have a Ticket jacket, and folded the other way to have an Offering jacket. That would be totally doable with today's printing technologies.

Or another idea would have been to include a reproduction (front and back) of the Offering cover on card-stock inside the Ticket package.

I suppose the fact that Richard hates that cover is why it's been abandoned to the '60s from whence it came.

I see that no one has answered your question and I would like to know that answer as well, unfortunately as I explained before there is so much plastic in my hole punch that it literally will not go down on my turntable. So I can't tell you. Perhaps someone who has this can chime in because I would like to know this answer as well.

So while I'm waiting for my replacement set....I do have the answer for you on the 2017 The Singles 69-73 LP, it does match the original 70's LP, the trilogy is the sped up version.

This has brought to light some interesting information. If we are all so convinced that the mastering on this 2017 LP set is from the Remastered Classics masters than why is this trilogy from the Singles 69-73 LP the sped up version. We know that Richard fixed this and slowed it down to a more normal speed for the 98 remastered classics. So the masters for this 2017 The Singles 69-73 LP is not from the remastered classics series masters. Chris May or Jared or anyone else who has this do you agree with me? I'm hearing the sped up version which matches the original LP.

Without attempting to track down a definitive answer, the only logical one is that they wanted to maintain the authenticity of the original Singles release. Very possible that a different master was selected, or that Richard allowed Universal to use the VSO'd versions from '73.

Recleaned and listened again to the first three albums. Really pretty clean. A few pops.

At the end of Nowadays Clancy into Benediction there is a definite scratch sound at the same place over and over. Same type thing on Hideaway. Not the whole song. And only in the right headphone.

Not sure if It is worth the whole return for those issues.

Will listen to others again. I know there was one song on AKOH that did the same as Hideaway but I think the others were fine.

I do have some that are really tight to get on and off the turntable.

I know these are so minor when compared to other people’s issues on here.

Would you replace for these reasons or not??

Jonathan

Recleaned and listened again to the first three albums. Really pretty clean. A few pops.

At the end of Nowadays Clancy into Benediction there is a definite scratch sound at the same place over and over. Same type thing on Hideaway. Not the whole song. And only in the right headphone.

Not sure if It is worth the whole return for those issues.

Will listen to others again. I know there was one song on AKOH that did the same as Hideaway but I think the others were fine.

I do have some that are really tight to get on and off the turntable.

I know these are so minor when compared to other people’s issues on here.

Would you replace for these reasons or not??

Jonathan

@Song4uman
My copy had a huge scuff and scratch noise in the same place! TTR was the first one i opened and when I saw that I thought crap, UMe strikes again. Somehow I knew the next one would be trash, I just didn't know how bad it would really be.

Tonight
It would have been very cool to make the album cover "reversible," meaning it could be folded one way to have a Ticket jacket, and folded the other way to have an Offering jacket. That would be totally doable with today's printing technologies.

Or another idea would have been to include a reproduction (front and back) of the Offering cover on card-stock inside the Ticket package.

I suppose the fact that Richard hates that cover is why it's been abandoned to the '60s from whence it came.

Clever ideas, but the Offering photo(s) were pretty bad (from a photographer's point of view)! Personally, I think the TTR cover is one of their most attractive (although their logo hadn't yet been created).

I played some tracks tonight. The pock and scuff mark I mentioned in my earlier post had no negative impact on the playback. Some records had slight noise, that disappeared once they played. I will play each album straight through over the next week, but so far so good.

Without attempting to track down a definitive answer, the only logical one is that they wanted to maintain the authenticity of the original Singles release. Very possible that a different master was selected, or that Richard allowed Universal to use the VSO'd versions from '73.

Why did Richard apply the VSO to side one of the 69-73 comp back in '74? Was it to make all the songs physically fit onto that side of the LP? I wouldn't think they were sped up for radio play, since the individual single versions of those three songs (Superstar/Rainy Days And Mondays/Goodbye To Love) were each released at normal speed.

It shouldn't matter who you purchase through @Misael Castillo Lopez. Once you receive your set, hang on to your receipt. If you have any issues or visible damage, contact Universal at [email protected], attach your receipt/proof of purchase and they will replace it.
I just wrote UMG and expressed my displeasure at how they have treated this rerelease. I'm sorry, but I disagree that they aren't at fault. They have to know who presses good vinyl and who doesn't. If the better plants are backed up, then you wait. You don't disappoint fans by putting out such a horrible product. I see no point in exchanging these as the vast majority will have the same issue. I still feel they will have to repress these, and I will definitely purchase again if they do. I'm happy for those that received better quality product, and I do give them hogh praise for the quality of the art. That is what is frustrating. They seemed to spend a lot on that aspect, but spent as little as possible on the pressings. I hope a good lesson was learned, that folks aren't going to put up with this, so that in the future we can discuss the music instead of why we can't enjoy listening to it. I hate being negative and agree with the moderator that we probably just need to move on, as I have been among the most vocal. I just love their music, and had hoped for better.

Chris, I would really appreciate if it's possible to track down that answer. I have stopped listening until my replacement arrives and I took out The Singles to help answer some questions. I thought for sure that 3 part medley was going to be the slowed down version because that's what is on the remastered classics. But it is the sped up version, so this confirms its not sourced from those masters. So what was this album sourced from?

I know several other people have this set and I wish someone else would confirm whether or not Those Good Old Dreams on the 2017 MIA LP includes the ending synth or was it removed?
If you don't know where to hear it go here it tells you exactly where to listen for it.

Those Good Old Dreams

I know several other people have this set and I wish someone else would confirm whether or not Those Good Old Dreams on the 2017 MIA LP includes the ending synth or was it removed?
If you don't know where to hear it go here it tells you exactly where to listen for it.

Those Good Old Dreams

I compared the song on the 2017 "MIA" LP vs. my copy of the original album. The four descending synth notes were clearly audible on the original. I don't hear them on the 2017 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom