Harriet - (Singer with echoes of Karen Carpenter)*

Rick, I don't know where you get this idea that Harriet just makes cover tracks. Look at her official debut CD for a moment, and you'll see that 10 of the 11 tracks are original songs! These covers that she puts out on Youtube are a nice bonus in my opinion. They keep her in the public eye until her next album comes out, and what's wrong with that? If you think about it, the Carpenters recorded a whole lot of covers too - remember their obsession with the "oldies"?

Harriet already has a producer. His name is Steve Anderson, and he's very well-known in UK music circles as a producer, musician, and songwriter: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Anderson_(musician)

The last thing I would want to see is for Harriet to work with Richard Carpenter. She's already accused by some people of trying to be a Karen wannabe (which we know isn't true), so how would it look if she were to be produced by Karen's brother ("to bring out the best of her lower register")? She also has no need for John Bettis, as she's her own lyricist (and a good one at that). She wrote the lyrics for all 10 of the original songs on her debut album!

Yeah you miss read my post, I never said she needed to work with Richard, if you read it...I said someone like Richard. I also didn't say she always records covers either, again you mis read my writing...of course I know she records more than covers I have her debut CD and I'm also well aware the Carpenters recorded covers as well. Why are you being so defensive? This is how people leave forums and don't return. I guess time will tell whether Steve Anderson brings out the best in Harriet's recording career.

Yeah you miss read my post, I never said she needed to work with Richard, if you read it...I said someone like Richard. I also didn't say she always records covers either, again you mis read my writing...of course I know she records more than covers I have her debut CD and I'm also well aware the Carpenters recorded covers as well. Why are you being so defensive? This is how people leave forums and don't return. I guess time will tell whether Steve Anderson brings out the best in Harriet's recording career.
When I read "like Richard" or "like John", I naturally assumed that you meant them personally. My apologies for misinterpreting your intent. I don't mean to sound defensive, it's just that I don't believe that Harriet needs a different producer at this time, or a different lyricist other than herself. I like her music just fine the way it is, and I look forward to hearing how it develops over time.

On further thought, and please correct me if I'm wrong, you probably suggested she work with a different producer and songwriter, in hopes that this would lead to a "breakthrough", and greater success / popularity with the public. I get that. It certainly is frustrating that someone with so much natural talent, doesn't get the recognition we know she deserves. It's a shame that her debut album was barely noticed, had zero chart impact in the UK, and didn't get released anywhere else. The only way I can see her becoming a big star, is if she recorded music that sounds contemporary, and appeals to younger people, rather than music that appeals to people of our age. But if she did that, I might not want to listen to her anymore.

Harriet posted a new cover by George Michael "You Have Been Loved"
I think this is the lowest I have ever heard Harriet sing, it's really not hard to hear some of Karen's lower notes.
In some songs Karen makes that vocal cry in her voice take a listen at about 3:16-3:20 I hear this same technique.
Some lower notes I'm hearing Harriet sing for the first time seems to be about
2:10, 2:17, 2:25, 4:39 and 4:53

Brought me to tears. She has quite a way with a sad ballad.

I think perhaps she doesn't record any Karen Carpenter covers because she gets compared to her so much, then accused of trying to sound like her. I think Harriet's voice is genetically a wonderful gift. She's trying to make her own mark. Can't help it if her sweet spots are reminiscent of Karen. Though what an honor to be compared!

She's re-releasing her album later this month with a massive track-listing including some really unusual covers.

51jWPnPCaTL.jpg

I've ordered mine but I can't help feel like its time she moved on. I only discovered this was coming out when I heard her on Radio 2!

The single I heard on the radio today was called Never Not Remember which was pretty enough and sounded more soulful than her previous stuff. Quite different pace to her other singles. More like Walk On By & Make The Music Play.

P.S It looks she's putting You Have Been Loved on the re-issue. This is the track listing:

1. Afterglow
2. What's Mine Is Yours
3. Broken For You
4. Can I Keep You
5. First And Last
6. Permission To Kiss
7. Unlove You
8. Love Will Burn
9. Empty Shoes
10. Fly
11. Whoever You Are (Radio Edit)
12. She's Out Of My Life
13. Reach [Deluxe Edition Track]
14. Never Not Remember [Deluxe Edition Track]
15. As Long As You Love Me [Deluxe Edition Track]
16. Let You Go [Deluxe Edition Track]
17. Just Another Day [Deluxe Edition Track]
18. Beauty & The Beast [Deluxe Edition Track]
19. You Have Been Loved [Deluxe Edition Track]
20. Maybe This Christmas [Deluxe Edition Track]

Harriet has been in Stockholm recently writing and recording new songs. Not sure if it's for new tracks on this release or a new album next year around tour time. Harriet certainly gets a lot of airplay on bbc radio two at weekends.
Interesting Jorgen Elofsson is one of the guys involved (writing and producing Agnethas A album).
Harriets Karen-esque sound was addressed in the song 'What's mine is yours' lyrically.

Jorgen Elofsson of Britney Spears and Kelly Clarkson? That's great! I hope we should hear something soon and have some U.S show dates in the works (I had no idea he did Agnathas album!). May I ask how you know she's been working in Stockholm? NewHorizons, so you have any more details about her new material (and welcome to the forum by the way!).

Jorgen Elofsson of Britney Spears and Kelly Clarkson? That's great! I hope we should hear something soon and have some U.S show dates in the works (I had no idea he did Agnathas album!). May I ask how you know she's been working in Stockholm? NewHorizons, so you have any more details about her new material (and welcome to the forum by the way!).

Thanks JamieHarrison for the welcome.
I just hear news about her on the BBC shows where Harriet is played or follow her on her website or facebook page which has pictures of her in Stockholm. If you don't have facebook the page is also public viewed and can be accessed via her webpage. www.harrietsmusic.com. Maybe you have already seen it.
Yes Jorgen of What doesn't kill you makes you stronger fame. Could be an interesting sound. Swedish song writing with Harriets vocal.:)

Darren James.

She's tweeting that she has a new album coming up! I'm very interested to hear her new collaborations. Every time a live video is posted on YouTube her vocal skill has improved. But those low notes are something very reminiscent of Karen.

Thanks to the notification by @JamieHarrison, I purchased the Harriet Deluxe Edition CD. And my enjoyment and appreciation for Harriet continue... I particularly like her covers of "Just Another Day" (terrific backing vocal arrangement), "Beauty and the Beast," and "As Long as You Love Me." "Reach" is also a favorite. I am soaking in the afterglow of repeated listenings to the new recordings!

Just to say I am also loving the the Harriet Deluxe Edition CD, much is on youtube if you are curious, but I would say buy it and enjoy :)

Hello Everyone,
Anybody seen Harriets facebook page recently?
A nice nod to Karen with appreciation from Harriet.
Forgot to add if anyone missed the Christmas cd Winter stories by Harriet it has been re-released via her homepage at www.harrietsmusic.com by clicking the squares at the top right corner of the homepage and finding the store. I just ordered. It appears to only be available via the homepage.

Harriet and Steve Anderson have written a new Christmas song, "Love's Not Just For Christmas", which is being used to promote a chain of shopping malls in the UK. Unfortunately, Harriet didn't record it herself. Instead, it is performed by the London Community Gospel Choir.

If you watch the video directly on YouTube, you'll notice that Harriet's full name (Harriet Green) is listed in the description.

Harriet is coming to do a show at one of our local theatres. Has anyone heard her live and would you reccomend seeing her?

She was good when i saw her. A nice balance of chat, covers and originals. I found her very personable. She also signs albums if you have any to hand.

I`d love to see her `live`.
her latest video of George Michael `you have been loved` is simply beautiful, only spoiled by the slight `gulp` she takes near the end.

That cover was included on the deluxe edition! She performed it live and I was pleasantly surprised. George Michael isn't on my all time favourite artist list but her interpretation of the song was lovely and made me appreciate the man as a very good songwriter.

I hope to catch her one of her London shows & i really hope she performs some new material as it'll be very interesting to see where she goes next with her next album.

Do we know anything about the direction of it by any chance (other than being recorded in Sweden?)

`That cover was included on the deluxe edition!`

I`ve got the cd, but haven't got round to listening to it yet, so I`m glad that`s on there :)
talking of other singers, has everyone heard this fantastic little girl?
11 years old and won Norways got talent last year.

She's great! Does she have an album?

I had some time tonight and I looked up who Harriet has been working with on her next album. It appears to be a bit more varied than her debut. Names I managed to take down were Sharon Vaughn, Jorgen Elfosson, Anders Hasson, Matt Greaves, Ann Bailey and Jocke Olovsson & Par Westerlund. She's doing a lot in Sweden. I researched a tiny bit about the song-writers and this is where i got a bit worried. While some have had hits with the likes of Agnetha Fältskog and country acts like Ward Thomas, their discographies are also full of dance-pop credits with 1 Direction, Kelly Clarkson, Britney Spears so could it suggest that Harriet is changing styles for her sophomore release. :shock:

I won't judge before hearing though (I know artists also need develop album to album!). I am happy to see she's working with hit-writers.

Does anyone know if she has said anything on social media about the direction of this album?

Last edited:
I've just been watching Harriet:My Vintage that I recorded on Vintage TV. I'm assuming its the same Harriet? Certainly has good taste in music but I was hoping to see something from Karen and Richard amongst her favs.

I've just been watching Harriet:My Vintage that I recorded on Vintage TV. I'm assuming its the same Harriet? Certainly has good taste in music but I was hoping to see something from Karen and Richard amongst her favs.

My thoughts exactly, Sue. I certainly enjoyed the show and Harriet's picks, despite no mention of Carpenters. One other observation: with the inclusion of the Beach Boys' "God Only Knows," I am struck at how terrific it would have been to hear Karen and Richard's treatment of that song!

Reactions: Sue
Saw Harriet perform live in Bath this weekend, throughly enjoyed it. Along with songs from her debut album, she sang some of her new material and some covers I had not seen on youtube or her albums. Directionally they seemed same as her debut to me. Anyway I loved them.

She is a very tallented young woman. Yes she has some low sweet spots in her voice that a are reminiscent of Karen, but Harriet is so much more than a Karen sound-alike. She is also smart enough to stay away from singing Carpenters, saying in effect that they have already nailed those songs, and there is nothing she could add. For me Harriet is about new music of the kind I enjoy, sung by the kind of voice that I have waited years to hear.

If you are a Carpenters fan, and I guess to be on this forum you must be, then I believe, like me, you will also enjoy Harriet as a musician in her own right. If in the UK do try to catch her spring tour, otherwise the delux ed CD is highly recommended.

I got a little bit scared when I heard her sing 'She's Out Of My Life'. I was like, 'What?! No way! That's Karen!'

Close to You or Goodbye to Love will be perfect for her voice. I hope Richard will reach to her to sing a cover.

Saw Harriet perform live in Bath this weekend, throughly enjoyed it. Along with songs from her debut album, she sang some of her new material and some covers I had not seen on youtube or her albums. Directionally they seemed same as her debut to me. Anyway I loved them.

She is a very tallented young woman. Yes she has some low sweet spots in her voice that a are reminiscent of Karen, but Harriet is so much more than a Karen sound-alike. She is also smart enough to stay away from singing Carpenters, saying in effect that they have already nailed those songs, and there is nothing she could add. For me Harriet is about new music of the kind I enjoy, sung by the kind of voice that I have waited years to hear.

If you are a Carpenters fan, and I guess to be on this forum you must be, then I believe, like me, you will also enjoy Harriet as a musician in her own right. If in the UK do try to catch her spring tour, otherwise the delux ed CD is highly recommended.
If I were on the other side of the pond I'd love to see her show.

Agree with your opinions on her voice and song choice. She's smart to cover male singer's songs - less comparison. I think she gets compared enough to Karen. No need to get labeled a tribute singer.

Back
Top Bottom