đź“Ł News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a disaster.

Judging from the photos contributed by forum members here and elsewhere, it appears the set was unfortunately pressed at Rainblo. Do any or all of the albums have an S-xxxxxx numeric code in the deadwax? That's Rainbo's in-house numbering system.
There is no S in the deadwax. I've listed several of the #'s in a post further up and I've looked at the others and no S.

I was looking at some of my LP's again from this new box set and you can immediately feel the weight of these 180 gram LP's, however what I noticed tonight is that my Lovelines LP feels much lighter in weight than the others. It's not as thin as say the original 80's LP but it's also not as heavy or as thick as my other 180 gram Lp's. I thought that was odd.
The #'s in the deadwax match the label up to the RE
B0026350-01-RE-1-A G-1 RM
B0026350-01-RE-1-B G-1 RM

I find it amazing that there has been nothing online about where the European release of this set originates from?, guess I’ll find out early next week!.

I find it amazing that there has been nothing online about where the European release of this set originates from?, guess I’ll find out early next week!.
Just curious, how are you going to determine where it originated from, markings on the box or labels that show a UK address?

There is absolutely no markings or etches anywhere on my set to determine what plant processed this in the USA. Other than an A&M address on the bottom of box in Santa Monica CA. In fact how do I even know mine was made in the USA?

Last edited:
Just curious, how are you going to determine where it originated from, markings on the box or labels that show a UK address?

There is absolutely no markings or etches anywhere on my set to determine what plant processed this in the USA. Other than an A&M address on the bottom of box in Santa Monica CA. In fact how do I even know mine was made in the USA?

I would expect a European pressing to at least have a different matrix number in the lead out groove - possibly and show some designation somewhere on the box or sleeves themselves , otherwise how would Universal tie down a problem located in a certain area. All conjecture on my part but we will see towards the end of the week. That’s if we definitely get it after the 8th!, one never can be sure.

Where did you order your set?
I ordered it from Amazon.it. I found it that is less expensive than the other stores. I bought it at €173 (without tax since it is shipped to Argentina). The list price currently is €217.99 which is much lower than any other Amazon store in EU

In Amazon.fr the box set is listed as Vinyl Collection [import allemand] which in English means “German import”. So if the info is accurate I understand the set is pressed in Germany. Am I right?

In Amazon.fr the box set is listed as Vinyl Collection [import allemand] which in English means “German import”. So if the info is accurate I understand the set is pressed in Germany. Am I right?

If that’s the case happy days and then some as all the German pressings I own are spot on soundwise and clean vinyl.

My report. I won't comment on sound since I'm not an audiophile.

I was a lucky one. Based upon the nasty pics posted here by others, mine is a very clean set. I have nothing like that - every disc is clean and unmarred. KoH is also the only album with any noticeable tearing at the punch hole - and it is a very small tear. All others are clean punches - unless you count a slight indent around it, a blemish.

In terms of packaging, the only displeasing thing was a white paper album sleeve (think it was Close to You) was badly crumpled, with part of the album exposed.

I feel badly for those of you who received a marred set. Opening this was for me, and should have been for everyone who purchased it, a joyful moment.

I was looking at some of my LP's again from this new box set and you can immediately feel the weight of these 180 gram LP's, however what I noticed tonight is that my Lovelines LP feels much lighter in weight than the others. It's not as thin as say the original 80's LP but it's also not as heavy or as thick as my other 180 gram Lp's. I thought that was odd.
Rick, as I have stated I can only afford the LP's one at a time, so I ordered "Lovelines" first. It seems lighter than a 180 gram issue. I'm glad I'm not the only one here who found this out. Now the record itself is very smooth & clean. I have one of those Crosley players that everyone complains about (I bought it six years ago to transfer vinyl to CD) and it sounds beautiful (with headphones). I'd love to have better equipment but it's not going to happen with my budget. Happy Listening

My set is pretty good. I did have some issues. Just called the number and talked to a lady and emailed the info to the email address.

My issues, which seem small compared to most, were:

Ticket - from part way though Nowadays through the entire Benediction there is a scratch sound and a visible scratch on the vinyl that looks like a "dip" in the vinyl

Carpenters - On Hideaway....long time of constant surface noise in the right headphone.

Both Singles and Voice of the Heart have places on the edge of the vinyl that look like chips. Little flat places and on Voice, they almost look like they could hollow out to become holes.

A Kind of Hush - surface noise..scratchy sound in the right headphone on the title track.

so, like I said, small compared to other people's issues, but I felt that if I paid for this nice set, then the albums needed to be nice. The other albums are all very nice.

Will let you know when I hear something....

Jonathan

I'm even more grateful for the clean original vinyl albums I have. I'm not even in a hurry to clean and play these new 180g records. If they sound crappy, I can fall back on my pristine well-cared-for originals. I played my clean copy of Horizon the other day and it was, as they say, sublime. Not a single hiss or pop. I had decided I'd rather own this set than not; even if it's only for posterity!

Report: Today my set arrived and I must say this in Spanish "Estan Perfectos":goodie:

I was with my fingers crossed but I was really surprised by the quality of manufacturing and sound, I listened to "the singles" and listened to the most 2 noises in all the vinyl, I opened the other vinyl records and they all come in perfect conditions, maybe it was just failure of the first set...
Here some photos.
24900093_10214689706377760_6487630204533395415_n.jpg

24991077_10214689696577515_4054620259967653940_n.jpg

Regards ...:righton:

Well, I was right, "Lovelines" is the same weight as my Columbia House Record Club pressing! It is not 180 grams. It sounds wonderful, even on my Crosley record player with CD recorder. I used ear phones and it nearly sounds as good as the CD, but warmer. Am kinda miffed that it's not the nice, heavy 180 gram vinyl. Sad

You are right, "Lovelines" isn't 180 grams. It is the same weight as my Columbia House Record Club pressing. I am thinking the boxed set may be 180 gram pressings and the singular titles are regular weight pressings...my copy sounds wonderful, even on my Crosley player (with headphones). Miffed that the pressing wasn't 180 grams like advertised. Ugh

Fingers crossed Wayne that we get a first class set!

If you can let me know please Sue if you have had confirmation of postage of your set?, I haven’t had anything as yet and it’s released today?, hope they dont let us down!. I’ve ordered two sets and it’s a lot of money to have to go chasing up orders.

Reactions: Sue
Report: Today my set arrived and I must say this in Spanish "Estan Perfectos":goodie:

I was with my fingers crossed but I was really surprised by the quality of manufacturing and sound, I listened to "the singles" and listened to the most 2 noises in all the vinyl, I opened the other vinyl records and they all come in perfect conditions, maybe it was just failure of the first set...
Here some photos.
24900093_10214689706377760_6487630204533395415_n.jpg

24991077_10214689696577515_4054620259967653940_n.jpg

Regards ...:righton:
Those pics bring back so many wonderful memories from the 70s the silvery gray/tan A&M label is an almost exact reproduction.

Thanks Wayne, Ive just emailed them so I guess I will be told the same.

I’m a bit concerned due to reading a few negative reviews about Spin online, obviously you have to look at things with an open mind and as a new customer I will do so. Usually in my experience though anything that has been pre ordered arrives at your house the day of release?, as the shops usually have pre orders in their stores the day before they should be available for sale. I haven’t heard anything about when I can expect this to be sent?. If I ordered from a major clout retailer like Amazon it would no doubt already be on it’s way. It seems so long since this has been released elsewhere now and with Christmas coming up rapidly deliveries are sure to take time. Fingers crossed eh?.

I've just had this reply from Spin. Hopefully it will arrive!

Hi Sue,

No sorry, yet to receive our pre-ordered stock of this title. Should be here early next week.

Thanks

Spin

I've just had this reply from Spin. Hopefully it will arrive!

Hi Sue,

No sorry, yet to receive our pre-ordered stock of this title. Should be here early next week.

Thanks

Spin

Guess that’s ok then Sue, but you would expect a pre ordered title to be available for sale on the day of release. When the shops have record store day for example you would naturally expect all titles to be available for purchase on that day?. To find out that they haven’t even got the stock yet to hand seems a little out of sorts to me. When you read bad reviews it does make the nerves jangle a little ( mine anyway ) as I’ve previously mentioned Spins price is considerably lower than anywhere else and not by a small amount. It’s over £120 cheaper than What Records, and What Records are usually the most competitive price wise in the U.K. There honestly can’t be much profit in it if any for Spin cd, hoping that the £129 price wasn’t a typing error and should have read £229...
If Spin do come through next week with these box sets I will be the first to leave positive feedback about them as it for sure is an amazing price they are doing it for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom