⭐ Official Review [Album]: "CARPENTERS" S/T (SP-3502)

HOW WOULD YOU RATE THIS ALBUM?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 27 36.0%

Votes: 38 50.7%

Votes: 8 10.7%

Votes: 1 1.3%

Votes: 1 1.3%

• Total voters
I have read in places that the B/D medley did not do them any favors with respect to image. Then, here, some have distaste for it. But, for me, it is the reason for the album. Back in the day, with the 3 singles from the album already purchased, it is the B/D medley that caught my attention. There is so much in it, that today, I listen to each version on the various albums, with my favorite highlighted with the Music Music Music TV Special. I love this track and feel it is a staple in the Carpenters canon.
Let Me Be The One is a great tune, and others recorded it to probably due to the success the Carpenters had with Paul Williams’ tunes. One Love is sweet and the harmonies are interesting. Drucilla Penny belonged on Offering and is probably the only song to weaken the album. The harpsichord is nice and the background vocals from Karen save the song making last part of the song the most interesting. Since the Carpenters sound avoided political idioms one could say that this was their stand to “free love”. So, besides being somewhat comical it may have a purpose for adults allowing their children to attend their concerts.
Sometimes is enjoyed for its simplistic beauty. And, I feel that is carried to the stage in spades with the 1974 Japan concert. I love the way they play on their musical strengths while visiting inside the song during its performance. Simply beautiful!
I would have to agree that despite Richard’s genius, it was Karen’s voice that set them on top and I believe Richard knew this, for it fits the role of a genius to recognize that his own sister had a unique talent that few ever possess. Even today, in interviews, we can hear that she was always the attraction to his formula. Would it have worked the other way around for Karen’s success? Maybe, but it was only with Richard’s insistence that she even sang and their electricity together can still light a stage. It may be with sound-alikes, or songbook tributes, but this nostalgia will last as long as there is music to discuss and invision. I wish the sound of music today was stuck between 1970-1975 for those years are still my favorite when listening to popular music. The sound of music without politics but just focused on love and its innocence will always keep my focus on enjoying the article of a song. Who knew they were creating An Old Fashioned Love Song for generations to come besides Paul Williams?! This abum did cement it. And there is no better friend to a song than Karen Carpenter.

I have read in places that the B/D medley did not do them any favors with respect to image. Then, here, some have distaste for it. But, for me, it is the reason for the album. Back in the day, with the 3 singles from the album already purchased, it is the B/D medley that caught my attention. There is so much in it, that today, I listen to each version on the various albums, with my favorite highlighted with the Music Music Music TV Special. I love this track and feel it is a staple in the Carpenters canon.
Let Me Be The One is a great tune, and others recorded it to probably due to the success the Carpenters had with Paul Williams’ tunes. One Love is sweet and the harmonies are interesting. Drucilla Penny belonged on Offering and is probably the only song to weaken the album. The harpsichord is nice and the background vocals from Karen save the song making last part of the song the most interesting. Since the Carpenters sound avoided political idioms one could say that this was their stand to “free love”. So, besides being somewhat comical it may have a purpose for adults allowing their children to attend their concerts.
Sometimes is enjoyed for its simplistic beauty. And, I feel that is carried to the stage in spades with the 1974 Japan concert. I love the way they play on their musical strengths while visiting inside the song during its performance. Simply beautiful!
I would have to agree that despite Richard’s genius, it was Karen’s voice that set them on top and I believe Richard knew this, for it fits the role of a genius to recognize that his own sister had a unique talent that few ever possess. Even today, in interviews, we can hear that she was always the attraction to his formula. Would it have worked the other way around for Karen’s success? Maybe, but it was only with Richard’s insistence that she even sang and their electricity together can still light a stage. It may be with sound-alikes, or songbook tributes, but this nostalgia will last as long as there is music to discuss and invision. I wish the sound of music today was stuck between 1970-1975 for those years are still my favorite when listening to popular music. The sound of music without politics but just focused on love and its innocence will always keep my focus on enjoying the article of a song. Who knew they were creating An Old Fashioned Love Song for generations to come besides Paul Williams?! This abum did cement it. And there is no better friend to a song than Karen Carpenter.

Very well written!

Hear, hear! Great analysis with much insight!

Thanks for posting! I enjoy the Bacharach medley myself. It's one of my favorite showcases of their background harmonies-- "Carpenters" is chock-full of them. I agree to disagree with you on "Druscilla Penny", though. I still find that song very interesting. :D

Thanks for posting! I enjoy the Bacharach medley myself. It's one of my favorite showcases of their background harmonies-- "Carpenters" is chock-full of them. I agree to disagree with you on "Druscilla Penny", though. I still find that song very interesting. :D
For me the B/D medley and "Let me Be the one " plus" Sometimes". Along with the hits from this Lp Are my favorite standouts And later in the decade ABC TV took Let me be the one and made it their theme song For the 1976-77 season which was how I first heard the song albeit altered for the occasion. But when I heard the Carpenters version I considered it The Definitive Version. And I think it still is.

Tomorrow on my blog, I am finally posting my Revisited Look at the Tan album. It was hard to put into words the effect this disc had on me. I hope you enjoy it.

Thank you both! It's interesting how the duo and their music impacted my life- and how I kind of "go back" to that time and place when I hear a particular disc.

How I adore those musical anchors. That take me back to a specific place and time. Sometimes bittersweet others warm n fuzzy.

I wish some of those anchors would sink. But mostly joy in the midst of pain. Ah, the human condition. :wink:

Of the pre-1974 albums this is probably the one that I listen to the least. Its kind of like Horizon, its there but really there is not much to enjoy on either album. Aside from Let Me Be The One, Druscilla Penny and Saturday, the rest of the songs are all very slow ballads, and not really that interesting, just like Horizon only really has Please Mr. Postman & Happy as the stand-out songs, otherwise the other songs are pretty much forgettable.

I got this album after all 3 hits had had their run. Therefore, I too felt the other cuts were pretty much filler. I do recall feeling Let Me Be The One and the Bacharach-David Medley were standouts.

Here's a article that shows just how big of a hit, "For All We Know" turned out to be, even in the early stage of release.

Record World April 03, 1971
Biggest Selling Song in Sheet Music 5 year history

autuabD.png

Here's a article that shows just how big of a hit, "For All We Know" turned out to be, even in the early stage of release.

autuabD.png
And, again, for what seems like the thousandth time, I learn something new at this site! Thank you @Rick-An Ordinary Fool! One of the many things that makes this site (and the terrific moderators and posters herein) so rewarding!!!

Karen's vocal performances on this album are outstanding. Really established herself as belonging in the top echelon of female vocalists. Her lead on One Love is becoming a favorite of mine. Side one is great but side two is marred by Druscilla Penny and the Bacharach Medley (fine for TV/concert appearances, but should've never been on a studio album).

autuabD.png
Wow, 175,000 copies of sheet music! Of course, that was back in a time when lots of people played musical instruments. I wonder how well sheet music sells these days? I heard on the news yesterday that "Guitar Center", the largest retailer of musical instruments in the USA, is in serious financial trouble and in danger of closing. The company blames falling sales on the popularity of hip-hop and rap music among youth, and the decline of rock. Apparently, not enough kids want to learn to play guitar and be rock stars anymore. Iconic guitar company "Gibson" is near bankruptcy. School music programs have been decimated by budget cuts. Forty years ago, the city where I live had ten marching bands - now there is only one left.

Wow, 175,000 copies of sheet music! Of course, that was back in a time when lots of people played musical instruments. I wonder how well sheet music sells these days? I heard on the news yesterday that "Guitar Center", the largest retailer of musical instruments in the USA, is in serious financial trouble and in danger of closing. The company blames falling sales on the popularity of hip-hop and rap music among youth, and the decline of rock. Apparently, not enough kids want to learn to play guitar and be rock stars anymore. Iconic guitar company "Gibson" is near bankruptcy. School music programs have been decimated by budget cuts. Forty years ago, the city where I live had ten marching bands - now there is only one left.

Real music died a long time ago!!

I know that at my church about 3/4 of the groups use tablets to display their “sheet music”.

I have no problem with "Druscilla Penny". Lyrically, I can see where people dislike it. This isn't the first song that I know that is rather dismissive about groupies- the Goffin/King composition "Star Collector" comes to mind also. I think musically it has a lot going for it. The syncopated drum is really cool in my opinion. Karen's "wahhs" and my favorite part, the end, are delicious snippets of Carpenters harmony. I like the melody (try imagining the song with different words? :laugh:). After a few listens of "Penny", I fell in love with the sound and timbre of the harpsichord. :D Even when I first heard it, it never came across as "antiquated". Then again, I am listening over 40 years outside of its original context.

I definitely had to warm up to the song, but now I almost never skip it. Songs on any album I like to refer to as "cups of tea". Not every song is everybody's cup of tea. People love "Rainy Days and Mondays" across the board because its flavor is agreeable. A song like "Druscilla Penny" or albums like "Hush" or "MIA" are a more obscure flavor that some people like and some people don't. That's what makes forums -- and life in general -- all the more interesting!

On another note, I think that "Any Day Now" would have made an interesting addition to either the Bacharach medley or the album itself. They could have also recorded more of those songs in full-- after listening to the live Bacharach medley from the RD set, "Make It Easy on Yourself" and "Knowing When to Leave" are too good. :love:

Back
Top Bottom