📣 News Carpenters: "The Vinyl Collection"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope all goes well.
When I got mine I opened every LP checked the sleeve and every record in bright light and as I said it was just a couple of tight spindle holes that was a problem.
Happy listening.

Reactions: Sue
Hi Tony.
Ive unwrapped and played Now and Then and A Song for You and so far both are excellent and sound great. Fingers crossed for the rest as this week goes on!

Hi Tony.
Ive unwrapped and played Now and Then and A Song for You and so far both are excellent and sound great. Fingers crossed for the rest as this week goes on!

(To add to Tony’s query please) That’s great Sue, mine haven’t arrived as yet!, arrived in Uk Monday ( takes longer for Yodel to deliver them then it took to come across the Atlantic and half the USA! ).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sue
I've got visitors tonight so can't play another one. Can't believe Ive got friends who don't appreciate the Carpenters!

had another of the new re-releases turn up today, `a kind of hush`.
I only became a teenager in 1975 and whilst I heard them by then, loved them and knew who they were, there`s something really nice getting these albums `brand new` today. perhaps that's not a bad thing really, because as most of us are, we are at an age to appreciate them more :)
so pleased, I`ve ordered `close to you`, which will give me 4 of them now :wiggle:

001da3a2.jpg

0023ca74.jpg

I don’t know what it is about this boxed set but it seems to always develop an issue for me Amazon USA were supposed to be sending this to me today , it said out for delivery - no sign of this box at all. I have religiously checked their tracking every day since Dec 27th.
Emailed Amazon USA to complain that I have sat in all day excitedly expecting these box sets only to find out that I won’t be getting it for a week if at all.....
I don’t know who is worse Amazon or the other company. They have just said if you don’t get it by a week next Friday they will refund my Payment !!. This really has made me feel as if I’ll never get one of these boxes!!.

had another of the new re-releases turn up today, `a kind of hush`.
I only became a teenager in 1975 and whilst I heard them by then, loved them and knew who they were, there`s something really nice getting these albums `brand new` today. perhaps that's not a bad thing really, because as most of us are, we are at an age to appreciate them more :)
so pleased, I`ve ordered `close to you`, which will give me 4 of them now :wiggle:

001da3a2.jpg

0023ca74.jpg

While the "collectible" box the 12-LP set comes in is quite nice, it almost seems more fun to collect the individually shrink-wrapped LPs!

Well, I just did it after a month of hemming and hawwing !! I wrote to UMG and I guess once I hear from them I'll be destroying the records in my Carpenters box set !! Has anyone else destroyed their records yet? I first called the help line and they said I don't need to destroy all of them. I'll see if that's actually true because I do have some good copies in the box and hopefully won't have to wreck them. What a fiasco. Karen

I love all the artwork and photographs associated with Hush. See my avatar. :wink:

I never warmed to Karen's pink lipstick, for some reason! Apart from that, I have seen better shots from that photo session. Like the one on your avatar; also, one where Karen is playing with a kitten. Such a lovely natural shot; it makes one wonder how and why they preferred other shots. The moment I saw the inner sleeve shot (in 1976), all I could think of was, "Karen doesn't look well".

I have to say, I always loved that back cover. Being a “sort of” mirror image of the front, it makes you feel like you’re looking out through your window onto a strange world.
I felt that way too; as though the Carpenters were always coming to us from "another plane" or a "far away land". The back cover of Hush was almost an extension of the Carpenter's world where "morning opened quietly" and "candles burned by the sea".

OK I'm reporting back because I already got an answer back after I sent the E-Mail to UMG. It was literally 20 minutes. I hope that's a good sign. They did tell me don't worry about destroying the whole set. 3 would be fine and since 2 records are unplayable and one is pretty ticky and poppy I'll destroy those and I'll have some extras. If this works out I'll actually make out pretty well with back ups !! Karen Gawn

The difference is, as compared with others, you enjoy the music from A Kind of Hush, as do I! I can't give this album enough accolades --- I've certainly tried. :)
Yes, the song Hush is one of my guilty pleasures- and I just love the first four cuts of Side Two.

received my new `close to you` this morning, the one that has Richards favourite cover on it :whistle:
it`s like Christmas as a ten year old when these arrive ...... I love it :dancing:

011.jpg

012.jpg

also received a replacement for my returned `collected` white album which was terrible. haven't opened it, because I`ve decided to leave all the new stuff sealed.

Can I ask what is the rationale for people keeping these records sealed?, I thought records were there to be enjoyed?. The Carpenters music is there to be heard at the end of the day, unless people are buying these records to put away hoping that in 25 years or so they will be worth 10 times the price they are now. I can understand people saving comic books and Dinky Cars but records that probably won’t increase in value such as our favourites always mystifies me. as Many on here I have these records a few times over but always look forward to listening to a new pressing of a favourite album.

no other reason than there`s no need for me to open them :)
I couldn't agree with you more, that they are meant to be enjoyed, but I have so much carpenters stuff here, I can listen to the same tracks that are these new albums many times over, so that`s my reason, nothing to do with money at all. they are brand new and sealed, so why not keep them that way if there`s no need to open them :)

Ordered mine from Amazon.com beginning of new year and it arrived a couple of days ago which isnt bad from the other side of the Atlantic. I was a bit concerned as the box was partially open and looked a bit worse for wear, but luckily, there was a very sturdy box inside.

However, I am so far quite disappointed with this set. I have played the first three albums and these are my findings.
All three albums have spindle holes which are too small for my record cleaning machine and turntable requiring the blade edge of a pair of scissors to solve the problem.
Ticket To Ride seems to lack any dynamic sound. Not sure if this was how it was originally recorded, but there is no real sparkle there. Also the sound is very low which means that surface noise is more apparent when the sound is turned up.
Close To You sounds better with more clarity but still suffers from surface noise and there is a nasty pop about 39 seconds into "Baby Its You" On Side 2. This has been reported elsewhere so must be a pressing fault. Also lots of little pops during quieter passages especially at the start of side 1 and 2.
So looks like I will have to go back to Amazon. I hope that not only will the repressings will sort out the defects, but that they will remaster the low sound levels.

@Lover Of Great Music

`Also the sound is very low which means that surface noise is more apparent when the sound is turned up.`

exactly the same issue with the white double album of `collected` I had. it was terrible and I couldn't even get through the first track before I turned it off!
sent it back and have since bought another one, but as yet, haven't opened it.
these issues with all these vinyls are a joke in this day and age with modern technology and isn't going to do any good for the sales of this stuff. I haven't seen anything anywhere yet, but I`d love to read Richards thought`s on all this :)

just one other thought/opinion from me, I`ve noticed a few mentions of record cleaners in a few posts. `lover of great music` points out that he put his new set through his, but I`m curious as to why you guys do that, because these are brand new vinyls received sealed, so they shouldn't need `cleaning` :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom