Delta Lady - Rita Coolidge biography

dostros

♪ Just to let you know ♪

I've just read the Rita Coolidge biography "Delta Lady" (written with rock writer Michael Walker) so I thought I'd give a report. There are a number of flattering mentions of Herb and Jerry and "the best record company in the world".

Turns out she did a lot, of background singing and a lot of sessions at the A&M lot so there are several references to the atmosphere at the company, pulling in next to Karen and Richard in her car, for instance, and exchanging hugs with them, but she also laments the cocaine use : she said you went into any office at A&M, except Herb's or Jerry's, and you'd get offered a toot as matter of course.

Apparently A&M's Chuck Kaye offered her a contract backstage after the final Mad Dogs and Englishmen concert, in which she had a solo spot, singing "Superstar".

Of course the male superstars she was involved with were legion, and gives each one their place in the book. The story of the "Layla" coda is also dealt with, of course.

I had also ordered "The Herb Alpert File". Let's just say "Delta Lady" was a pleasant treat after that smouldering pile of dog feces. Unbelievable.

... she said you went into any office at A&M, except Herb's or Jerry's, and you'd get offered a toot as matter of course.
You should read this one: And Party Every Day: The Inside Story Of Casablanca Records: Larry Harris, Curt Gooch, Jeff Suhs: 0884088212469: Amazon.com: Books That entire company was coke-fueled. :laugh: Everyone from head honcho Neil Bogart on down to the mail clerk. And it's a great read. Written by Larry Harris, who was Bogart's cousin and right-hand man at the Casablanca Records label (and prior to that, when they were both at Buddah).

It's also very interesting how the Billboard charts (prior to the Soundscan era) were pretty much "gamed."

Back
Top Bottom