The Carpenters on The Bob Hope Special

Guess I'm the minority, I love the dress on Karen it fits her well. Not a fan of the hairdo and plucked eyebrows though.

That outfit was not flattering and it being on TV just made it worse. I am sure it did not look like that in person, but that was about the same that Richard said she was taking part in a work out regime to help her maintain weight and become better fit but she bulked up instead. So, she took a different path not being happy with the results. The satin in her dress suit just thickened those leg muscles and on TV it looked shocking since in person it most likely looked normal. I bet in real life the outfit looked flattering. Her face looked beautiful as well as her upper half. It was the pants that looked out of proportion but better with the top on. The strive to be perfect knowing that your entire team relies on you must be overwhelming and a goal to be achieved by someone who wants to be perfect. She already had the perfect voice and to me, the perfect body. I cannot imagine my music collection without Karen Carpenter. And, of all the eras of music, the 40’s and 50’s are among my favorites but many in those years missed Karen Carpenter. But when Karen sang those songbook favorites it was among her best! I am happy I lived during her lifetime. And Richard’s layered vocals and Rod Temperton’s added vocalizations are also part of where Karen excelled. There are many ‘rock’ musicians that many deem perfect but none of those are in my collection. I like the vocal pleasing musicians and she had the perfect voice. Thank God Richard focused on Karen. Without him our icon would never have been. At one time, her voice was the most recognized voice in the world and that is because of the groundwork and framework Richard created. The perfection of her instrument came from within her. And, this all began because of Richard’s musically ability to see the enormous talent in his sister and a match in heaven became a gift on earth. My desire is for people to hear these facts and not allow anorexia to override the talent that spread the message. It was because of her talent that her fight with anorexia has helped research and others recover, as well as, encourage others to be the best dedicated musicians life has to offer. The fruit is their career of songs.

I saw it on TV when it originally aired, but not since. Thanks for posting this!

Culottes, Palazzo Pants, long skorts . . . funny how when something becomes retro it gets a new name.

I might add that why oh why couldn't they hire that caliber of joke writer on their own TV specials?!?

Last edited:
Karen needed what even every c-list " celebrity " has today, a stylist. Karen looked great in her street clothes, but her performance clothes were hideous at the time and passing time has not improved them.

Regarding her outfit in this clip, I tend to fluctuate. Close up (from the waist upward), she looks very attractive IMHO. When the camera gives us a full body shot, she is noticeably paunchy. I thought she looked better with the coat on for the Top Of The World number (added a little symmetry). The hairstyle is different but not unappealing. The plucked eyebrows I cannot figure out being that she had such beautiful natural eyebrows that just accentuated her soulful brown eyes. It seemed during her whole career, her wardrobe choices for performances was at best, an afterthought. Especially, being introduced to TV audiences in the atrocious outfits she wore in MYOKOM.

It was the style of the season, especially the hair style. If you watch a 1974 episode of McMillan and Wife you will see Susan Saint James with identical hair and eyebrows. And, no one can deny her unending beauty through the years.

Back
Top Bottom