Heads Up UK fans....

She played I'll Never Fall In Love Again tonight - great to hear the original vinyl version played on the radio. Sounded really clear (even with the slight pops of the vinyl) and the harpsichord came through much stronger than on the cds I'm used to.
The album is featured all week with a different song being played by Jo each night.

Don't be fooled by the sound of recordings on radio. They can often sound very different with the radio station's compression, bringing out minor details that otherwise are supposed to be gently there in the mix. It's often fun to hear, but it's still an alteration from the original intent.

Just listened to yesterday's track, I'll Never Fall In Love Again (around the 1 hour 12 minute mark) online. I always forget how much I enjoy this one and Karen's take on it. I'm assuming today's track will be played at around the same time. Quite crackly though. Was it an old record or have they got their hands on a new one?

Just listened to the show on catch up and the track I'll Never Fall In Love Again. All I can say is that I'll never fall in love again with vinyl. Loads of crackle noise, horrible. My vinyl phobia is well and truly kicking in. The playback was disappointing, dull sounding, flat, missing the high frequencies. Great track, but lacking acceptable sound quality.

Jo Whiley's playing Reason To Believe tonight. Crackles aplenty and not played at the same time as yesterday at all, around the 1 hour 50ish mark.

Just listened to the show on catch up and the track I'll Never Fall In Love Again. All I can say is that I'll never fall in love again with vinyl. Loads of crackle noise, horrible. My vinyl phobia is well and truly kicking in. The playback was disappointing, dull sounding, flat, missing the high frequencies. Great track, but lacking acceptable sound quality.

Reading the the Vinyl Collection thread is putting me off the idea of getting the set a bit (not to mention the price). All the talk of cleaning, vacuuming, new sleaves, etc, sounds a bit of a headache. I''m fussy enough about handling DVD's and CDs, I'm not sure I need the added angst that caring for vinyl seems to involve to minimise this and maximise that in order to ensure the ultimate listening experience possible. Plus in many instances I tend to prefer the remixes. If the set comes down in price then I may change my mind.

I'm assuming they're playing an old record on Jo Whiley's show or they're deliberately adding the crackles to make it sound more vinyally!

Emailed Jo Whiley to find out more about the origins of the vinyl copy they’re playing during the show. Unfortunately I received an automated reply. While the show is on air it is possible to text Jo, maybe that might give more info. I will listen to tonight’s show on catch up tomorrow, going to be interesting to listen to the next choice of song from the album. Just got to block those crackles out of my head, forgotten how annoying that noise can be.

I was hoping that Jo Whiley would banish my vinyl phobia, but after listening to Thursday nights vinyl playback of Close To You, my phobia has actually gone into overdrive. Vinyl must be every music lovers nightmare, it’s a step backwards. I really hope that Richard Carpenter has planned something special for the 50th Anniversary that does not involve vinyl.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom