The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

With Eubanks, Promise of Tomorrow isn't even one of his strongest albums--if you like that one, I'm sure you would like quite a few of the others. Face to Face featured Marcus Miller on some of the tracks, and others were duets with bassist Ron Carter; string arrangements were by Dave Grusin. The Heat of Heat has a little bit more of a funk feel to some of the tracks--the songwriting on some of the tunes is my favorite among his albums. Shadow Prophets was produced by fellow guitarist George Benson. Opening Night features Branford Marsalis and Kenny Kirkland, and is actually more similar to his work post-GRP. I've always felt that even when he is playing straightahead jazz (as he does on Live at Bradley's), he is still accessible enough that even casual jazz listeners can find something to like. Funny that these are expensive online, but used record stores I've seen these at are usually inexpensive.

His newest recording from this past April, East West Time Line, actually reminds me a lot of Opening Night and has some fantastic playing on it. This one is unique in that the first five tracks are with an east coast (NYC-based) group featuring Dave Holland, Jeff "Tain" Watts (drums), Orrin Evans (piano), and Nicholas Payton (trumpet), and has a sharper, edgier feel to it, recording five new Eubanks compositions. The second five are from a west coast group, recorded in L.A., featuring Marvin "Smitty" Smith (drums), bassist Rene Camacho, percussionist Mino Cinelu and saxophonist Bill Pierce, and are all cover versions. "Captain Señor Mouse" is a Chick Corea composition from the Return to Forever era, and in one of Eubanks' clever arrangements, is almost indistinguishable from the original. (The T.J.B. also covered it under the title "Señor Mouse.") "Cubano Chant" (a Latin tune covered by a few artists back in the day) makes an appearance. Marvin Gaye's "What's Goin' On" is covered also, in an unexpected swift-tempo arrangement (it works!), and "Take The Coltrane" is a different spin on Ellington's "Take the A Train"; the final track is the pop standard "My One and Only Love."

The album is a winner IMHO and arguably his best since he started recording post-Tonight Show (for Mack Avenue Records).

upload_2017-11-13_20-6-41.png

Have been listening this week to the new Cheap Trick album, Christmas Christmas. It's a blast for any Trick fan, or if you like a good rock'n'roll Christmas album.

They do a few tunes originally recorded by other bands, a couple of evergreens like "Silent Night," and three originals by the usual songwriting suspects. The band sounds great, especially Robin Zander who continues to amaze with his ageless voice. My favorite tune (so far) is "Run Rudolph Run," which gets a terrific hard rock workout.

What I think is funny is, the album's title is Christmas Christmas, about 9 or 10 of the songs have the word "Christmas" in the title, and yet every media article I've seen about the album refers to it as a "holiday" album. It's a Christmas album, dammit....just say the word!

Wind Machine "Song For The Children" (from 1985 "Rain Maiden"): Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I love wind machine I have a couple of their cds but sadly this particular early one Rain Maiden I never heard of its probably way Out of Print by now.but it would be nice to add that one

So, someone tell me why I'm listening to this! :laugh:

upload_2017-11-20_21-34-50.png

I still haven't pulled the trigger on buying the vinyl yet--this was supposedly an all-analog recording, so it would be nice to hear it that way. So far, "Locomotive" is my favorite track on the album. If you want a time warp back to the Wooden Nickel/early A&M days with Styx, check out the classic vocal break at 2:50. Otherwise it is a much darker song than anything Styx has recorded in the past.

Truly one of Sade's best albums, Stronger Than Pride, spinning here at the moment:

upload_2017-11-21_22-25-7.png

This and Promise are my favorites, with Love Deluxe likely a third, especially for the track "Tattoo" which is one of my favorite tracks of hers. (But dat cover art... :wtf: )

Diamond Life isn't bad and is a strong debut for a new artist, but it is somewhat even-keeled. On that one, "Your Love Is King" has that easygoing feel to it that originally drew me to her work. That said, I like the variety of the other albums. The later two albums (Lovers Rock and Soldier of Love) don't do much for me since they rely a little too much on drum machines and electronics.

I totally lucked out. I had these on CD since around the time they were released, but of the first three albums, I found two of them sealed, and the third opened but likely played only once (it is flawless) on vinyl. An original pressing of Love Deluxe was a vinyl rarity, but Music On Vinyl did an excellent job in the reissue.

And as for her voice? I do not like many female vocalists. I prefer those who sing in a lower register with a subdued delivery, and she pretty much fits that description.

Styx: The Mission...
I still haven't pulled the trigger on buying the vinyl yet--
At $13 and change, all analog recording, I couldn't resist. Sounds fairly good so far, and the vinyl is flat and quiet.

Not a bad price...
Not at all. :thumbsup: And the eBay seller I linked to in the Black Friday thread had it for even less.
upload_2017-11-27_22-45-20.png

Order $50 or more and there was an additional 25% discount. So, $8.12 with free shipping.

I have to say the record is no Grand Illusion or Equinox (my two favorites) but it does refer often to their earlier era (when Curulewski was in the band) and arguably is their best since Paradise Theatre. Still bothers me they call this version of the band "Styx" but I'll take it for now. :wink:

I'm playing one of the "discs" from this 7-CD set right now:

71rrmrNnpdL._SY355_.jpg

Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra. This one's an acquired taste, but I do like Haitink's interpretation of it, which is a bit softer edged than the Fritz Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra rendition from the RCA Living Stereo era.

This one I was spinning earlier...first time I'd listened to it, but (like many Blue Note albums) I remain unimpressed:

918J0cg3Y%2BL._SX355_.jpg

This one just lopes along at pretty much the same shuffling Bossa Nova tempo throughout, with Quebec's sleepy tenor piping away from the left speaker in nearly a whisper at times. I hate to say "boring" but I'll put that thought out there. It's not bad, but there is also not much to excite the listener here either.

This arrived from the House of Chad (aka Acoustic Sounds) from their 50% off sale. The SACD remastering of Hatari! from the original 2-track master.

upload_2017-12-7_21-7-38.png

I am anxious now to hear the 45 RPM 2-LP version that they are releasing later this month. The track "Sounds of Hatari" is demo quality, almost seven minutes long. It leads off side two on the 33-1/3 LP. It starts with only a few African percussion instruments, then builds slowly to include the full Mancini orchestral sound with a lot of brass and a piano sound which I can't quite put a finger on. (It's a piano, but it sounds like it was modified as a tack piano with the sets of strings on each note very slightly detuned.)

This track underscores the opening of the film, depicted in the stylized illustration on the front cover of the album. Their group captures animals in Africa in order to send them off to zoos around the world. This rhino chase opens the film, as they try to catch up to and then snare the rhino. It stars John Wayne. Mancini commented that he really liked working with Howard Hawks, who had a really easygoing style.

A great live album from early in Lou Rawls' career, taped in front of an enthusiastic audience:

51YCM0MWJQL._SY355_.jpg

His monologues were a favorite part of the live gigs. Here's one of the best:

Spinning some of this album while I work. This is one of those gems I'd sort of overlooked back in the day. "Burn Rubber On Me" and "Humpin'" were the big R&B hits from this album and I still like them, but this one really has taken over as the favorite:

This one also arrived on vinyl (brand new Warner 140 gram pressing), and the lead-off track is classic EW&F:

One of my favorite, quieter Commodores tracks:

The full album version. :thumbsup:

My favorite Funkadelic track, "(Not Just) Knee Deep". Full album track courtesy of our pal @slayd5000. Classic George Clinton here. Uncle Jam Wants You!

"Ants in my pants and I need to dance."

One of my favorite, quieter Commodores tracks:

The full album version. :thumbsup:

My favorite Funkadelic track, "(Not Just) Knee Deep". Full album track courtesy of our pal @slayd5000. Classic George Clinton here. Uncle Jam Wants You!

"Ants in my pants and I need to dance."

I prefer the Commodore hits such as the full l.p. version of "Easy Like Sunday morning" Sail on. "Still" And others. They were Great.

Here's one that I'm sure a few of you might like:

upload_2017-12-21_1-20-11.png

45 RPM 2 LP set from our pals at Analogue Productions, one of my 50% off grabs from their Acoustic Sounds store. :thumbsup: No need to mention that it sounds awfully good here. :wink:

Since I'm off for the next few days, tomorrow morning is starting off with this one by Mrs. Elvis Costello, which I picked up on vinyl from the recent sale:

upload_2017-12-21_1-27-13.png

Frim fram sauce? :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom